DMS-Ascension

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ascension

is it useable as a synth if you don't use any of the 10GB of shite?
or are the oscillators samples?

wagtunes wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:00 am
Jbravo wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:21 am also the Filter release doesn't seem to work :/ The more I play with it the more I'm glad I didn't pay any more
Filter release works here though the max release time is really short. Not sure why they limit it to 2500 MS.

But again, it's a cheap synth so they had to cut corners somewhere.
That's a dumb corner to cut...

Well, its not a cut, its a design flaw. The makers of that synth had only one extremely limited genre in mind (EDM). They could not imagine that anybody wants more...; - ). Just put a 10 second reverb after it...
These kinds of limitations are the reason why it did not have success in the high price region... But there is no need for a synth to cover everything nowadays, and especially no need to complain at the actual price...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:17 am Well, its not a cut, its a design flaw. The makers of that synth had only one extremely limited genre in mind (EDM). They could not imagine that anybody wants more...; - ). Just put a 10 second reverb after it...
These kinds of limitations are the reason why it did not have success in the high price region... But there is no need for a synth to cover everything nowadays, and especially no need to complain at the actual price...
+1. Totally agree.

This is clearly a very mainstream dance music oriented plugin. It is limited but a lot of folks who're just getting started with EDM and want some useful sounds and basic synthesis options would find this quite useful, especially at that price point. It might not appeal to a lot of us(me included), but is quite useful for quick sketch creation and can also serve as a good starting point for more complex sound design. At $19 it's decent value.
Last edited by exponent1 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeah I actually think it is priced right now. I hate to say that because I love the idea of it.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

For the prize it is a nice one to play around with it but its really sad that on so many corners a little more work would have brought it into another class.

It was clear from the video that it is not able to transpose the midi loops to incoming notes but thats a pity cause that would make it a real workstation to quickly put a song together. But what makes this worse and for me nearly unuseable is that most of the midi loops are not even tagged by key not to talk about a meaningful categorisation. What do I need a "midi loop 1 to midi loop 100" where I have to figure out for myself in which key they are This way its much easier to do it in the piano roll by myself :-(((.

Preset system would be o.k. if they (at least W.A. when bringing it out again now) had at least done the little work putting the factory presets in one directory if its to much work to categorize all meaningful....

Really a shame, with a little more effort investigated could have been a LOT more in the end. Wonder how many people will really use it after been trapped by the prize. It is absolutely o.k. for the prize and there are some interesting sounds in it but that tags so many products theses days, they just missed the chance to stando out of the crowd (just my two cents).

I would say it's obviously worth more than $19 based on what you get. 870 presets (people are paying $25 for 100-150 presets in packs), and what do you have to pay for 1700 MIDI Loops if you purchase them in packs? Based on this alone, it's worth more than $19.

DMS, or W.A. Production, is not trying to hide the fact that the synth is aimed for EDM production though, so people who expect it to be something else shouldn't really be picky about that.

However, it's one of the most boring synths I have ever played with. It's not designed well, in any way actually. How you work with the oscillators is very cumbersome, and limited. The filters sound like crap, but I like that it's pretty easy to re-organize the effects. Haven't paid much attention to the mod matrix yet, but the arpeggiator/midi player could have been designed much better. And also, the non-resizable GUI. The design very 90-ish as well. And the browser is one of the worst I've seen.

But as a preset machine, definitely worth the $19 I paid, so everyone who purchase this, considering it being a "player" only, don't expect to be a Serum, Icarus, Pigments. Don't even expect it to be a CODEX, or even Sektor.

When I think of it, maybe $19 is the price it should go for, possibly up to $39-59 because of the content, but not more (is the full price $79 now? I think it was like $149 when it first came out).
Last edited by starflakeprj on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:07 am I would say it's obviously worth more than $19 based on what you get. 870 presets (people are paying $25 for 100-150 presets in packs), and what do you have to pay for 1700 MIDI Loops if you purchase them in packs? Based on this alone, it's worth more than $19.

DMS, or W.A. Production, is not trying to hide the fact that the synth is aimed for EDM production though, so people who expect it to be something else shouldn't really be picky about that.

However, it's one of the most boring synths I have ever played with. It's not designed well, in any way actually. How you work with the oscillators is very cumbersome, and limited. The filters sound like crap, but I like that it's pretty easy to re-organize the effects. Haven't paid much attention to the mod matrix yet, but the arpeggiator/midi player could have been designed much better. And also, the non-resizable GUI. The design very 90-ish as well. And the browser is one of the worst I've seen.

But as a preset machine, definitely worth the $19 I paid, so everyone who purchase this, considering it being a "player" only, don't expect to be a Serum, Icarus, Pigments. Don't even expect it to be a CODEX, or even a Sektor.

When I think of it, maybe $19 is the price it should go for, possibly up to $39-59 because of the content, but not more (is the full price $79 now? I think it was like $149 when it first came out).
Why on earth are you saying that Sektor isn't all that great. It is very high quality. Maybe that is not what you meant to say?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:18 amWhy on earth are you saying that Sektor isn't all that great. It is very high quality. Maybe that is not what you meant to say?
It was not really meant that way, but of the ones I mentioned above, I think Sektor the least good one (but better than Ascension), even though CODEX has no wavetable editor. This does not mean I think Sektor is bad. I probably have most of the wavetable synths available (except the Wolfgang Palm ones, and possibly a few more I have missed/ditched), and of those I don't think Sektor stand out much. I use it as little as I use Massive and Factory, as they don't appeal to me much either.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Seems like this one is now selling like crazy. I had never heard of it before. Good idea for beginners...no problem with that. Also no problem with it being an EDM synth.
However, the reports about the filters being of terrible quality is a little more worrying. Seems like with the simple layout this could be a good little workhorse synth. Hopefully they will release an update and sort out the midi file organisation - if that is one of the major selling points, it should at least be done properly!!

sqigls wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:36 am is it useable as a synth if you don't use any of the 10GB of shite?
It is actually very usable, its a competent synth on its own right just using the basic analogue waveforms. The interface is deceptively simple, there is actually a decent amount of depth.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:42 pm
sqigls wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:36 am is it useable as a synth if you don't use any of the 10GB of shite?
It is actually very usable, its a competent synth on its own right just using the basic analogue waveforms. The interface is deceptively simple, there is actually a decent amount of depth.
And the waveform editor allows you to create your own waveforms which is really cool.

Unfortunately, the FX are horrendous. I mean HORRENDOUS. They may be some of the WORST FX I've heard on a paid for synth yet. The delay is usable but everything else is the pits.

I don't know what they were thinking.

I bought this but half of the presets don't make any sound or sound exactly the same as other presets. Other presets seem to be unique and not bad sounding. Not sure if I did something wrong during installation (it was a pretty straightforward install though). Anyone else having this problem with the presets?

From what I read here, it's buyer beware. Experience tells me never to believe what was said but to go try it out. For the offer price you might be rather over cautious thinking so much about grabbing the deal. I'm sure most of us can coax some exciting sounds for use in any genre if we wanted to. It's a production tool, not so much of a "live" performance synth. I'll most likely get it in a few hours time, when I get over the headache from reading forum posts. 😁
It don't mean a thing IIAGTS :D

wagtunes wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:48 pm
v1o wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:42 pm
And the waveform editor allows you to create your own waveforms which is really cool.

Unfortunately, the FX are horrendous. I mean HORRENDOUS. They may be some of the WORST FX I've heard on a paid for synth yet. The delay is usable but everything else is the pits.

I don't know what they were thinking.
I had a quick look at the credits. The DSP was all done by a company I've never heard of before. They also make their own VSTs, Dancida bass synthesiser $10.99 and Cubits Rompler Workstation $25.99. At least we know who to blame for the FX.

http://www.cubicaudio.co.uk/
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Instruments”