Aurora FM - New Win(32/64) VSTi FM synthesizer - Introductory pricing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aurora FM

layzer wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:12 am yeah, great work on the new GUI, :tu: just might give it a spin now! :party:
Thanks! Happy to hear it!

Howdy, gang.

I'd like to solicit some input from my users on one particular matter. Normally I'm pretty confident in just about every decision that I make, but this is one thing where I can see the pros and cons of either option, so I'd like to hear what others think about it:

When mapping the algorithm's 6x4 operator diagram into the appropriate 3x2 or 2x3 operator layout, my rules are essentially:

1. Place the carriers on the bottom row, and fill up the bottom row before spilling over to the top row
2. Place the operators left-to-right whenever possible
3. Place the modulators relative to the carrier, in order of preference:
  1. Above
  2. Beside
  3. Then only as a last resort, Diagonally.

Algorithms 23, 26, and 27 are kind of oddballs. Since operator 1 (car) stands alone (no modulator) and then operators 2 (car) & 3 (mod) form a stack, I've placed the operator 2+3 stack on the left so that 3 is above 2, and then I've placed operator 1 to the right of operator 2. This places the modulator above the carrier as desired, but it also means that operator 1 is to the right of operator 2, which is backwards and goes against rule two.

The alternative is swapping 1 and 2 (leaving 3 where it is), making 3 diagonally top-left to its carrier 2.

The reason I made this decision ages ago and stuck with it is because I thought it was more important to avoid the diagonal mod->car connection, but it's been brought to my attention that this swapping of 1 and 2 may actually be the worse compromise.

What do you think? Leave it as-is so 3 stays above 2, or swap 1 and 2 so that the operators always run left-to-right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

How can we turn of the gradient (installed latest version ) ?
Kudos to the developer , you're indeed an open minded dude , adding the new tx1z waveforms was icing on the cake .
Aurora rocks

Couldn't agree more about admiral's quality gui , eyebleedingly bad design
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

RyFi wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:58 pm What do you think? Leave it as-is so 3 stays above 2, or swap 1 and 2 so that the operators always run left-to-right?
I would leave it as it is, as this configuration accentuates relationships.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:12 pm How can we turn of the gradient (installed latest version ) ?
Click on the little button with the question mark at the bottom right of the screen (yeah, settings are kinda hidden).
This will bring you to the settings, where you'll find the "theme" option.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:12 pm Kudos to the developer , you're indeed an open minded dude , adding the new tx1z waveforms was icing on the cake .
Aurora rocks
Thank you, good sir! Happy to hear it. :)
Stefken wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 pm I would leave it as it is, as this configuration accentuates relationships.
Heh, I was hoping for more than just one person's input, but I guess this means that nobody's violently opposed to the way it currently is either. Thanks for your input and for confirming that my initial reasoning was still the better option! I'm leaving it as-is.

Yet another change is up!
  • Changed the Algorithm control to draw dynamically instead of just display an image. It now reflects when operators are turned off, highlights the operator under the cursor, and is much more readable when scaled to a factor other than 100%.
  • Removed unnecessary processing when the host sends redundant parameter changes for values that aren't actually changing.
  • Yet more improvements to the GUI response when changing patches/algorithms.

In addition, I'm aware of a reported catastrophic problem with Cubase 10 where Aurora FM doesn't work. I'm waiting for Steinberg to make the trial version available so I can fix this problem. Sorry to any affected early adopters of Cubase 10!

Hi Ryan, so cool you still improve your FM sound-tool. I highly appreciate that and wish to say a big THANK YOU.
Have a great christmas time :)

Thanks as always, my good man!

And a happy Christmas to you too!

Just bought!
How to register?
thanks

Just follow the instructions that are clearly listed on the website. :wink:

RyFi wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:15 pm Just follow the instructions that are clearly listed on the website. :wink:
Thanks! I've sent you the code.
best!

If i can suggest a feature request...
Custom algorithm with custom feedback paths.

Another update!
  • New: Alternate scales and microtuning, including: 12-EDO, Just Intonation 5-limit symmetric 1/2/asymmetric and 7-limit, Harmonic, 15-/17-/19-/22-/24-/31-EDO, and Bohlen-Pierce.
  • Improved: Extended drag-and-drop copying to include Envelope+Scaling and Full Operator, in addition to existing Envelope.
  • New: Randomizing! The 1-10 slider controls the amount of parameters to be randomized and in some cases the extent of the possible randomization, and the Rand button does the randomizing.
Pro Tip: Leave the randomizer depth set to 1 (/10) and randomize your existing patches to quickly explore some new variations. (It is a randomizer, not a guaranteed-great-sound-generator, so they can't all be winners. If it generates something unusable, just hit Reset to go back to your patch and then hit Rand again.) :tu:

Alternately, set it to 10 and hold on to your ass! :o

Good lord, I've spent hours just playing around with randomized patches. I almost can't believe the near-infinite palette of sounds that Aurora FM is capable of generating. :hyper: This is a feature that I wanted to implement ages ago and yet somehow I just kept forgetting and getting sidetracked...

If you need to score an experimental art film, chaotic drug trip, or descent into madness, or you just make incredible tripped out music, Aurora FM's randomize mode has definitely got you covered. 8)
Last edited by RyFi on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nice to see you keep working on your synth.
This random function looks like a lot of fun.

Return to “Instruments”