Aurora FM - New Win(32/64) VSTi FM synthesizer - Introductory pricing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aurora FM

Another piece of supporting information. From one of the DX7 manuals (there were several completely different versions of the DX7 manual):

Code: Select all

The output level of each operator can be programmed to increase based on how rapidly a key is pressed down.  This is accomplished with the [KEY VELOCITY SENSITIVITY] button.  Since the maximum output level of any operator is always 99, if an operator is already set to 99, it might seem that no further output can be achieved using the velocity sensitivity.  To get around this problem, the DX7 is designed so that the nominal operator output level decreases as you program the operator for more key velocity sensitivity.  If an operator is programmed for maximum key velocity sensitivity (7), and you play a note very slowly, that operator will have a very low output level;
This exactly corroborates what TCDX7 says. It's how Aurora FM works. Turning up the velocity sensitivity allows lower velocity notes to generate less amplitude; it does not allow higher velocity notes to generate more amplitude than what's determined by the operator Output Level. I again have every reason to believe that Aurora FM is correct and Dexed is incorrect, or else there's another factor that's eluding me.

Yes your right .
When dexed is played at a velocity of 100 ( maximum in dx7), and full mod.amount , the different key velocity settings have no effect , as you stated ..the maximum fm amount is already reached
Only if velocity is >100 , the fm amount will increase .
Regarding authencity of dexed fm velocity is something only the developer of dexed can shine light upon , I will ask him and ( if you don't mind )and redirect him to this page.

Aurora playing dx7 imports at velocity 100 sounds spot on :tu:
I also noticed aurora gives a invalid dx patch file error upon import
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I guess Dexed sounds wrong when played with a Non-DX7-MkI-Keyboard which sending 0 - 127.

It certainly appears that this is the missing explanation. Good work in testing the hypothesis, gentleclockdivider. That's definitely how Dexed is behaving - remaining consistent with the documentation for velocities up to 100.

Unfortunately I can't extrapolate beyond this. I don't know how the DX7 mk.I behaves with velocities > 100. There's even conflicting information on what the maximum velocity output of the mk.I keybed is, for crying out loud! Some people say 100, some people say 109, and others say it's something else. How on earth can this be a subject with an uncertain answer and not something absolutely, utterly certain is just mind-boggling to me. If it is 100, or something less than 127, then how does the DX7 handle incoming velocities greater than what the keybed generates? Are they just clamped to the same maximum as what the keybed generates? And then what happens in the mk.II? I thiiink this is where the full 127 becomes definitely supported, but I'm not positive about that. There's some debate about whether the shift to 127 velocities happened in a later model, or was brought to the mk.I with later firmwares.... oy... One possibility is that the circuitry in the mk.II is where the 127 velocity support comes in, and levels were scaled so that all mk.I patches with vels up to 100 would sound identical to a mk.I, but higher velocities would be brighter/louder (modulator/carrier) than a mk.I, and if that's the case then Dexed would appear to be emulating this properly, but this is just a guess and I really can't be certain.

Oy.

Anyways, my takeaway from this is that I think Aurora FM exhibits the same behaviour using velocities of 1-127 as a real DX7 mk.I would exhibit using velocities of 1-100, at least when the operator level is maxxed. When the operator level is not maxxed, that's an entirely different can of worms.
Last edited by RyFi on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gentleclockdivider wrote: I also noticed aurora gives a invalid dx patch file error upon import
Which patch?

Aurora_FM_TX81Z_Waveforms.jpg
Holy shit, TX81Z/DX11 Waveforms!!

:party: :hyper: :clap: :-o :shock: :tu: :shock: :-o :clap: :hyper: :party:

http://www.audionebula.ca

For everyone who's lamented a lack of waveforms other than sine, HERE YOU GO! They're the same sine-transform-based waveforms found in the TX81Z/DX11 and they're generated exactly the same way, by transforming (scaling/ shifting/ nulling/ absolute valueing) the sine output. They alias, just like they do on the TX81Z/DX11, so don't be surprised or complain when you notice that (you don't have to use them, after all...).

I've had these ready for a while but have been away for a week for a buddy's wedding and then have been sick with a cold since I got back. I was planning to add TX81Z/DX11 patch translation in tandem with these waveforms, but since I've been sick and basically useless as far as working and thinking, I was getting impatient and decided to make a release with just these waveforms and then add the new patch translation later when I'm feeling more able.

I've also got some really nice improvements coming to the reverb algo too, which I'm personally excited about, but I reckon doesn't mean a hell of a lot to too many other people...

Well anyways, please enjoy, my KVR friends!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:party: :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Hi Ryan,
I didn't lament but I find this to be totally awesome and I am happy with this great addition. Thank you so much. It's great to see you are still working on your great synthesizer. Cheers.

Have joy.

New goodies!
  • Yamaha 4-Op patch translation (DX21/27/100, TX81Z/DX11)
  • Translation (partial) of DX7 mk.II additional parameters (DX7IIxx/DX7s)
  • New, more advanced reverb algorithm - more spacious and hall-like, not as overtly thick and up-front, less unintended amplitude flutter, less audible modulation
  • Improved GUI response when changing patches/algorithms

Enjoy!

RyFi wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 pm New goodies!
  • Yamaha 4-Op patch translation (DX21/27/100, TX81Z/DX11)
  • Translation (partial) of DX7 mk.II additional parameters (DX7IIxx/DX7s)
  • New, more advanced reverb algorithm - more spacious and hall-like, not as overtly thick and up-front, less unintended amplitude flutter, less audible modulation
  • Improved GUI response when changing patches/algorithms

Enjoy!
Great Ryan. Thank you a lot! A good time for you.

:tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Thanks, dudes!

:tu:
Eyeball exchanging

nichttuntun wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am Hi Ryan,
I didn't lament but I find this to be totally awesome and I am happy with this great addition. Thank you so much. It's great to see you are still working on your great synthesizer. Cheers.

Have joy.
I did :D
Eyeball exchanging

Ryan, thank you for great update! I'm getting back to boat. :party:

Return to “Instruments”