New granular morph plotting sampler: Glitchmachines Palindrome

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can do what Palindrome does with ANY granular plugin and M4L with millions more modulations.
No doubt:)

But can you do that in any other DAW?

Whenever I hear about some cool M4L thing, I always take interest, fascinating stuff!!
…then I start rummaging around in the millions of other possible M4L devices I can't resist exploring…then I remember that they're all useless if I want to work outside of Live…then I go back to looking at the plugins I may already have that I can maybe get by with.
Talk about a creative-flow buzz-kill…!

This is true unfortunately. M4L can not exist outside the Ableton ecosystem. But I think Bitwig might do pretty much the same since v3. But don´t take my word for it.. I´m not 100% sure. What I know for sure is that it must work if you combine Bitwig with MSF. What DAW are you using?

I'm most comfortable in Logic, and esp. love the built-in, unique synths there. But I do have Live, and Bitwig, certain that one day I'll spend the time needed to explore their many unique features, too. But, when I just want to roll, better a car I can already drive than one I barely know how to turn on:)

The main thing that impresses me w Palindrome, is how easily I've been able to do in it things I've tried and not really ever managed to do with the many other granular devices I've got, within minutes of first opening it up. Especially considering that it's a Glitchmachines device, all the others of which that I own, I can barely get to do anything but unexpected, uncontrolled weirdness. Already got plenty of that…:)

Plus I really LIKE loading samples:)
Last edited by David on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enCiphered wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:28 pm
nichttuntun wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:23 pm
enCiphered wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 pm Palindrome is cool but I stopped using granular instruments which allow only to import samples. I don´t like this ancient method of sound design. I want a grain manipulating plugin as effect to process my synths and instruments. Having to record and export, drag & drop samples all the time is a bummer. Absolutely kills any creative workflow.
I think the devs start to realize that and give their plugins away for just a few bucks
Can you show me a granular EFX-instrument which is capable of morphing 4 different sounds together using tons of modulation on each single sampler?

Maybe Crusher-X is your cup of tea. It´s an insert-efx-granular monster as well as a granular synths itsself. Like you wish. You won´t find something more deep at the moment but even though, it won´t do what Palindrome does :phones:
Why do you think that I need something specific?
And why do you even feel the need for comparisons? Really strange..

I can do what Palindrome does with ANY granular plugin and M4L with millions more modulations.
I don´t.

I don´t.

No it isn´t.

No. you can´t do what Palindrome does with a granular-EFX-plugin.

Repeating question: show me a granular-EFX-plugin which can morph 4 different samples with specific defined and modulated tape-head lanes.

Asking again: So why stop using "granular instruments which allow only to import samples"?

Oh please..

Play your childish game with someone else :hihi:

David wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:43 pm I'm most comfortable in Logic, and esp. love the built-in, unique synths there. But I do have Live, and Bitwig, certain that one day I'll spend the time needed to explore their many unique features, too. But, when I just want to roll, better a car I can already drive than one I barely know how to turn on:)

The main thing that impresses me w Palindrome, is how easily I've been able to do in it things I've tried and not really ever managed to do with the many other granular devices I've got, within minutes of first opening it up. Especially considering that it's a Glitchmachines device, all the others of which that I own, I can barely get to do anything but unexpected, uncontrolled weirdness. Already got plenty of that…:)

Plus I really LIKE loading samples:)
I´ve only heard good things about Logic. I´ve never tried it because I´m on a windows machine but who knows.. maybe one day

enCiphered wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:24 pm Oh please..

Play your childish game with someone else :hihi:
You seemed to be the exact right one.
But as you wish.

enCiphered wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:35 pm This is true unfortunately. M4L can not exist outside the Ableton ecosystem.
M4L devices can be loaded into Max/MSP of course...
enCiphered wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:35 pm But I think Bitwig might do pretty much the same since v3. But don´t take my word for it.. I´m not 100% sure. What I know for sure is that it must work if you combine Bitwig with MSF. What DAW are you using?
I combine Bitwig with Max/MSP, as for complex patches the Grid does not cut it yet.
But in Max I would rather build my own granular beast (and I did...; - )
The Grid shines in really fast brain to sound transformation. And as their sampler module is in itself a granular beast you might get pretty far with it...

Palindrome is just fun in itself, either a tool inspires or it doesn't. Palindrome does... In that case its irrelevant if I could do something similar with a different tool, especially at the price I got it for...

nichttuntun wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:23 pm
Can you show me a granular EFX-instrument which is capable of morphing 4 different sounds together using tons of modulation on each single sampler?

Maybe Crusher-X is your cup of tea. It´s an insert-efx-granular monster as well as a granular synths itsself. Like you wish. You won´t find something more deep at the moment but even though, it won´t do what Palindrome does :phones:

Not sure if I understand you correctly at all, but if you have the full version of Reaktor, S-Layer is maybe in the same ball park -

https://twistedtools.com/shop/reaktor/s-layer/

It can mangle 8 samples at a time. Very impressive. Looks straightforward enough to use (though complex) but loading your own samples is supposed to be not so straightforward. No idea. Not demo'd it. I might have to get it at some point though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTa6ODTNGdQ

It's still on sale at the moment with 33% off iirc.

I bought Palindrome anyway. Had my eye on it for a bit. Might even get around to using it at some point. Was going to get S-Layer but I've already got a couple new Reaktor tools from them to learn and I keep forgetting there's a learning curve with them. Palindrome looks simpler to use. Probably apples and oranges anyway, but still, enough to be getting on with.

The granular elements in Gltchmachines synths leave me wishing for more controls. Also, the "morphing" is just cross fading, right? I don't notice any special morphing algorithms (like Mmorph or Morph 2). Palindrome is still cool, but I, too, tend to prefer working multiple instances of Granulator 2 or Padshop 2 to get better results (but more CPU load).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Palindrome is one hell of a beast to tame. Quite a difficult tool to predict, and that's part of its beauty I think. My favorite way to use it is to improvise & experiment on the fly with it and record everything. Then go back and edit the parts I like and use the recorded material as sound source for further more manipulations and mangling in other tools. I never use it as is, straight out of the box.

Exactly! I put in some malleted instruments in one instance,
repeated with pluks, and in another, stretch the releases
for rythmic pads. Great fun, regardless of any competitors :hyper:
Cheers

This tutorial is the most detailed I've yet seen—if you want to get tight control, this is it, complete with charts and graphics:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCDRzCg ... 9o&index=1

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 am
M4L devices can be loaded into Max/MSP of course...
Yeah, I’ve wondered about that. Know of any tutorials or forum discussions on doing this?
TIA!

I read the gui is really small, but for 10$ its still a stellar deal.
Ableton Live 10, Korg Monologue. Various vst's and effects

Return to “Instruments”