Is there a Guitar VST that can do actually decent rhythm guitar?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

jancivil wrote:
househoppin09 wrote:
zzz00m wrote:
progtronic wrote:
Here's one of my early tracks ('92): Aliens Among Us
Hey, that's some good sh*t!!! :clap:
Understatement! If all the guitar work on that track is programmed, that'd be impressive even for a brand new track made with modern-day guitar VIs, much less 1992... :o
I agree.
+1
...although, not as an example of natural sounding, uneffected rhythm guitar, generated with a vst (which, I think, was the OP´s starting point).

househoppin09 wrote:...I wonder why more VI devs don't do that sort of thing.

Bringing it back a bit more to 2018, I'd be interested to know if you've discovered any performance or programming tricks that help with realism and humanization when using the current generation of VIs. Technical death metal and ultra-surgical prog is one thing, but with slower/looser styles it's easy to start falling into the uncanny valley of "that sounds a bit too fake and plastic-y but I'm not really sure why", even with the best plugins. Do you have any preferred approach for minimizing that with the current crop of VSTs?
I know all the Orange Tree libraries work that way...:

...you can literally pick any articulation, assign how you want to trigger it.. and set your own velocity preferences, with a totally user friendly (stretchy bar) interface. Very slick. 8)

Regarding modern methods of achieving a realistic, loose electric (or acoustic) strumming style.. I just set up every filthy, humanizing aspect of the patch to FULL. Fret noises, timing, release noises, etc..

I don't really produce any music in a style that would do that sort of jangly kind of rhythm.. but I came close with Vir2's Acou6tics library this remix (at the 2:50 mark). Still way more mechanical (on purpose) than you want to hear though.. but, that's all I got. :lol:

I totally think it's possible. Just need to tweak and experiment, with any capable library.. 'til you find something that works.

Wise words, thanks! I was already psyched to check out some of those Orange Tree guitars, now it's a no brainer. :tu:

Don't know about technical metel (always play the gitar for metel - the chugging! always the chugging... ) but I did do a mean faked country and western for an FL contest...

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... toryia.mp3

The poor woman probably never expected her vocal to be used for that sort of thing. :hihi:

Harry_HH wrote:
jancivil wrote:
househoppin09 wrote:
zzz00m wrote:
progtronic wrote:
Here's one of my early tracks ('92): Aliens Among Us
Hey, that's some good sh*t!!! :clap:
Understatement! If all the guitar work on that track is programmed, that'd be impressive even for a brand new track made with modern-day guitar VIs, much less 1992... :o
I agree.
+1
...although, not as an example of natural sounding, uneffected rhythm guitar, generated with a vst (which, I think, was the OP´s starting point).
But it is a gestures-rich example of something the more general observer will tend to think has to be someone operating the instrument. Or impossible with samples.

househoppin09 wrote: with slower/looser styles it's easy to start falling into the uncanny valley of "that sounds a bit too fake and plastic-y but I'm not really sure why", even with the best plugins. Do you have any preferred approach for minimizing that with the current crop of VSTs?
Those won't be the best plugins, then. The state-of-the-art today for this instrument is such that that problem is the user's fault. I second OTS as a developer that has achieved this. It's a PITA and the fault of that is the subtleties of the role 'rhythm guitar', and all the problems of translation mentioned for this highly idiosyncratic instrument and approach.

It's really not that big a leap to compare the quality of electronic stuff from the 80s/90s with today. The technology is not that different.
The main thing that makes or breaks any work of art is the amount of time invested in it and the knowledge/experience behind it. If some kid simply whips something together with modern equipment, there's just no way it will hold a candle to something that was created 30 years ago with care and skill.

Again, OTS has a very well-thought-out strum engine, which evolved over years.

Easy to suss, not so much.

jancivil wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:39 pm Again, OTS has a very well-thought-out strum engine, which evolved over years.

Easy to suss, not so much.
Jan, how would you say it compares to Electri6ity or the Real Guitar Series?

I don't have enough information to make any thorough comparison, but what I do have shows a very different approach from Vir2 to OTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_0iRjM_Tus

I do believe from that, that Electri6ity can do the chugging basic bit in the OP's videos.

I recommend Shreddage 2 or The Odin II

Electri6ity can do rhythm pretty well. If you want a guitar based on physical modeling there is Strum and IronAxe, but when MODO Guitars comes out (hopefully soon) it will probably be the go-to guitar instrument for almost everything since many models will probably be covered, especially stuff like Strats, Teles, and Les Pauls, and hopefully some hollowbodies.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Don't listen to any of these guys, VST guitars sound fake as heck for rythm, you should just learn guitar, it isn't that hard. I've tried plenty VST guitars, they're only good for djent metal or mechanical tones.

Orange Tree Rock Standard.
Excellent palm muting effects.
Layer the guitars with another instance that has pinch harmonics / squeels.
Guitar Rig is OK but I personally find Amplitube better suited.

Return to “Instruments”