Wave Alchemy Evolution

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Out now. (click)

Doodled a bit with it tonight and think it's a quite nice drum machine. The X-Y-pad introduces a new (?) feature of morphing between the three layers available for a single drum sound. Not as much as with other drum synths but imho it isn't that important for electronic music anyway - and this puppy seems to be made for that kind of stuff.

The built-in sequencer sports several (FX-) modulation options in a sequence style plus a creative life saving randomizer. In conjunction with the eight macro knobs you can achieve a lot of interesting variation across the layers and for the whole individual sound slot itself. Miss individual step shift and variable loop length though. Furthermore it seems that one can't load own samples (on the other hand it comes with 5GB content).

Well, you can't have it all. The search for the 'perfect' drum machine goes on - though Evolution is a fresh and good sounding approach thanks to its sample lib and FX. Imho far better than its pricey competitor Breaktweaker.

edit: Added some information to avoid sounding too negative. Indeed it is fun to play with Evolution, please don't get me wrong. :)
Last edited by elassi on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting, I've been wondering what this would be. Thanks for sharing.

I just picked up Klip yesterday for £40, but I'll probably get this somewhere down the road.

Kontakt Player compatible, so in one respect that's nice, but like with all Kontakt instruments, no loading of user samples. People always ask about that, even though this includes almost 30,000 sounds.

I wanted to get excited about this but a lot of the sounds in this overview remind of drums from 90s romplers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LSRlIW7eTw

Frantz wrote:I wanted to get excited about this but a lot of the sounds in this overview remind of drums from 90s romplers.
+1

With thousands of sounds, I'm sure it's more versatile than what can be shown in 12 minutes, but definitely too many retro sounds in this debut video.

If they packed their existing drum sound portfolio into the new flagship (can't tell, just guess) there's not much to criticize about the sounds imho.

Dig their style, however, it's always a question of personal taste.

elassi wrote:If they packed their existing drum sound portfolio into the new flagship (can't tell, just guess) there's not much to criticize about the sounds imho.
Wave Alchemy says in the comments on the product page that the sounds are totally different than Revolution, so... :shrug:

There's a demo available...it's mostly trap type sounds but sounds good to me — and the UI is nice and clean.

Looking at the sample sources I think there will be some crossover with Revolution, but that's one was all about drum machine authenticity, whereas Evolution has a far wider selection of sources, and the 3 layer approach with X/Y blender pad should make it more of a creative tool.

Page 52-53 of manual lists sound sources.

Intriguing...although the inability to load samples seems like a strange oversight, and probably a deal-breaker for me.
I already own so many drum samples (including most of Wave Alchemy's libraries which are relevant to my music). I was hoping one could use this as a layer engine, including pitch and volume envelopes and transient designing, and thus it would replace programs like BigKick and Sonic Academy Kick2.

I'm sure the included libraries are stellar, though. Hopefully the ability to import samples will be included in an update.

It's official: no user samples possible. However, here's the list of included sounds (see db3's post). Think I'll jump on this because drum machines always unveil a constructional fault in my Anti-GAS shield...

Analogue / Electronic Sources
• Elektron Analog RYTM
• ARP 2600
• MFB Tanzbar
• Roland Jupiter 8
• Sequential Circuits Prophet 5
• Fully stacked Eurorack Modular System (Make Noise, Cwejman, Intellijel, Plan B etc)
• TR-808
• TR-909
• TR-707
• TR-606
• CR-78
• EMU Drumulator
• Sequential Drumtraks
• Linn Linndrum
• Future Retro XS
• Moog CP-251 & Moogerfoogers
• Mutable Instruments Ambika
• Korg MS-20
• Acidlab Miami
• Serge Modular System
• MPS Drum Synth
• Pearl Syncussion
• Jomox Mbrane
• Jomox MBase 11
• Jomox Xbass 999
• ARP Odyssey
• Moog Memorymoog
• Simmons SDSV
• UP K2-X
• Vermona DRM
• Roland System 100 Modular
• Roland System 100, 101
• Metasonix D-1000
• Linndrum Mk2
• Waldorf Wave

Acoustic Sound Sources
• Adams 26" Revolution copper timpani
• Adams 29" Revolution copper timpani
• 32" Revolution copper timpani
• 36" Pearl bass drum with folding stand
• Large Chinese red drum (prepared & unprepared)
• Medium Chinese red drum & stand
• Small Chinese red drum & stand
• 28" Dream Tam Tam
• 36" Dream Tam Tam
• 20" Dream wind gong
• 28" Dream wind gong
• TAMB-RIQ
• Double row tambourine
• Various shakers, cabasas and metal guiros
• A huge selection of various Cymbals / Hi-Hats (prepared & unprepared)
• A huge selection of various Mallets
• Various Cajons
• Various Bongos
• Various Congas
• Various Small Percussion
• 50’s Ludwig Drum Kit (prepared & unprepared)
• 60’s Ludwig Drum Kit (prepared & unprepared)
• 80’s Ludwig Drum Kit (prepared & unprepared)
• Ludwig Maple Snare (prepared & unprepared)
• Ludwig Superphonic Snare (prepared & unprepared)
• Ludwig Colosseum Snare (prepared & unprepared)
• Slingerland Radio King Snare (prepared & unprepared)
• YC Maple Snare (prepared & unprepared)
• YC Silver Snare (prepared & unprepared)
• Dunnett Stainless Steel Snare (prepared & unprepared)
• DW Cast Bronze Snare (prepared & unprepared)
• Ludwig Marching Snare (prepared & unprepared)
• A vast collection of beautifully recorded Found Sounds, Foley and unconventional Percussion - making use of bowing, smashing, dropping, hitting, re-amping, layering, creative mic techniques, re-pitching to analogue tape, processing and experimenting

Processing Kit List
• Empirical Labs Distressor
• Empirical Labs Fatso
• Studer A80 Analogue Tape Machine
• Ampex ATR-102 Analogue Tape Machine
• Thermionic Culture Vulture Mastering
• Neve 1073 Pre-amp
• Neve 1073 EQ
• API 5500
• API 550b
• API 527 & 525
• API 512C
• API 2500
• Ampex ATR-102 Tape Machine
• Pultec EQ
• A-Designs EM-PEQ
• Elysia Karacter
• Elysia Xpressor 500
• Elysia Nvelope
• Eventide H8000
• Eventide DSP-7000
• Manlet Massive Passive
• SSL E Series EQs and Compressors
• Schippmann Ebbe und Flut
• Spectra Sonics 610
• Valley People 610
• Universal Audio 1176
• Overstayer M-A-S
• Overstayer NT-02A
• Neve Analogue Desk
• ADR Compex
• Oto Machines Biscuit
• A selection of high-end guitar amps
• Various guitar pedals
• Symbolic Sound Kyma
• NI Reaktor

elassi wrote:Think I'll jump on this because drum machines always unveil a constructional fault in my Anti-GAS shield...
+1, but it will have to wait because my wallet also has a constructional fault. ;)

I just opened this account to give some praise to these guys. I bought this one and their Revolution (classic, excellently processed drum machines) and have sold or ditched every other hardware drum machine and sample pack I had.

I’ve always wondered why someone doesn’t just (“just” haha) sample every singe setting on a 909 and 808 (my favorites) and jumble them into a VST, since it seems totally doable vs a synth with too many possible combinations of settings. I finally found these guys a while back and not only did they faithfully recreate the tuning, decay, etc, all the knob twiddling sounds in real time, they recorded it on gear I could never own, and amazing sounding tape saturation which I always use.

I can’t praise these VSTs enough. I had more money for other gear since I unloaded the drum machines, and I have way better sound thanks to the processing. It’s still mind blowing.

I haven’t dug as deep into Evolution since it’s so new, but what strikes me immediately about it is that it seems I will be creating totally new sounds that I wouldn’t have thought of before thanks to the seamless layering and mixing functionality.

My one criticism, and I guess it’s a good problem to have, is that Evolution has so many sounds in it I find myself not knowing where to start. It has almost too many possibilities but I hope in time i’ll know how to dial in the sound I want with this one as easy as I can on the Revolution.

Here's a track I created with the Revolution. Listen to how the saturated 909 and 808 cut through the mix with their processing (while I processed the rest of the sound I never need to do any further processing on Wave Alchemy drums). i've never got drums thump as hard and have found my tracks getting muddy in the past. from the gear list I read I can only imagine the Evolution will cut even harder.

Proof is in the pudding: https://soundcloud.com/spacecampsf/carnal-1

elassi wrote: Furthermore it seems that one can't load own samples (on the other hand it comes with 5GB content).
I keep reading this, or that it should have been a layering engine but that’s not why this is revolutionary to me, they didn’t just drop a sample in here, they recorded every setting of that one hit on a drum machine making this a viable replacement for the real thing, making this a 28,000 sample beast. I’d guess 20-100??? (Total guess) Samples go in each drum hit?

Maybe this is a cool enough idea to sell as a stand alone layering/mixing engine but I wouldn’t consider that an upgrade. Just a totally different product. (And who knows, maybe a big seller. Personally I bought it for their multi sample hits and wouldn’t be interested but I can totally see others just wanting to load their own samples in it.)

All that power, but could be the deal-breaker for me (and with Revolution) is lack of a polyrhythmic sequencer. Maybe that's a Kontakt issue (tough scripting)?

I keep thinking I need to bite the bullet on Tremor for that and the sound design. The quality / quantity of presets may have turned people off, but it's capable of a lot more than overblown smashes. Keep waiting for a sale...

Still - this and Revolution are solid; retro-sound video aside I'm sure given their extraordinary sample library WA have your bases covered - with all the tweaking you're bound to come up with something unique.

JoeCat wrote:All that power, but could be the deal-breaker for me (and with Revolution) is lack of a polyrhythmic sequencer.
WA posted just recently on gearslutz that it will be available in the 1.1 update

SixStringAxis wrote:
JoeCat wrote:All that power, but could be the deal-breaker for me (and with Revolution) is lack of a polyrhythmic sequencer.
WA posted just recently on gearslutz that it will be available in the 1.1 update
DAMN - that news just gave me GAS :hyper:

Return to “Instruments”