Tone2 I2 vs Trueno Analog

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Trueno

ghettosynth wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:58 am
BONES wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:48 am
ghettosynth wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:59 amYou completely missed the point. I'm only pointing out that if you CAN'T hear that difference that your analyzer will show you that it's there.
No, I completely got your point
Yeah, no. If you had, you wouldn't have made a nonsense comment about making music for analyzers as if that had any relevance to the conversation.
but you seemed to have completely missed mine.
You didn't have anything valid to say, as per usual.
As zerocrossing pointed out, many, if not most, Reaktor instruments will deliver improved sonic behavior when you turn up the oversampling.
And If "improved sonic behaviour" was what I was after, I might give a toss. But it's not. So I don't.
Which conveys how little you understand modern software technology.
again talk bout the software (which you did get back to) and stop the you statements please.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

ftr ALL of topic posts will disappear if the thread doesn't get locked
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

At £99 this is cheaper than many VSTis. But I haven't heard anything from it that could remotely pass for an analogue synth. You could get the more analogue sounding Volca Bass or Volca Keys for not much more.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I'm sorry but if you honestly believe that I can only assume you have never heard more than a few analogue synths in your time. OTOH, having bought my first one in 1981, I can say with absolute certainty that Trueno takes me back to those days in a way that no other synth, software or hardware, has in this Century. To my ears it is the very essence of the kinds of sounds I worked with throughout the first half of the 80s. That possibly not strictly about the synths back then but also about the analogue mixers and effects I had in the 80s, too. i.e. I'm comparing them in my current set-up to the way they sounded in that old, pretty cheap set-up, not to how those old synths might sound through a modern mixer and with modern effects.
ghettosynth wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:58 amAs zerocrossing pointed out, many, if not most, Reaktor instruments will deliver improved sonic behavior when you turn up the oversampling.
Me wrote:And If "improved sonic behaviour" was what I was after, I might give a toss. But it's not. So I don't.
Which conveys how little you understand modern software technology.
No, actually, it says absolutely nothing about my understanding of anything, just my priorities as a performer and producer who lives in the real world, where you only bother with analysers when you hear something that might be a problem.
Good DSP models also misbehave and they do so more effectively when their models are more accurate, i.e., when the sampling rate is higher.
"More accurate" than what? You are talking about meaningless abstract concepts that have no bearing on anything. Trueno doesn't sound good because it's analogue, it sounds good because that's how it was made to sound. The analogue circuitry is a tool to achieve that but it's not the only reason it sounds as good as it does. I don't give a flying fig about the whole analogue/digital thing, Trueno isn't in the same league as either my Ultranova or MicroMonsta, two digital synths that sound absolutely incredible. Nor can it hold a candle to the sound of DUNE or Hive or Thorn but it has a sound you can't easily get out of any of those synths. It is very likely someone could make a VSTi that had a similar character to Trueno but, so far, nothing I've heard does. If that changed, I'd very likely take a full VSTi with Trueno's character over it in a heartbeat. It would free up a USB port, if nothing else.
To argue that you don't want that in a digital model because you think that somehow it doesn't approximate the misbehavior in an analog circuit is an absurd statement.
I'm not arguing that at all. Perhaps you need to go back and re-do basic comprehension from primary school? As I said, I'd happily take a VSTi that sounded like Trueno if one existed but, for now, Trueno does something I cannot otherwise do as easily or as cheaply.
Where exactly do you think that character in DSP models comes from?
Mostly it comes from obsessive emulation of things that never sounded that good in the first place, like Moog's Ladder Filter or Roland's TB303 or SH101. If more developers did their own thing, instead of just copying things that most of us moved on from 40 years ago, there might be a lot more interesting and varied VSTi around. As it is, the good ones are a little rarer than they should be so you have to grab 'em when you can.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 am If more developers did their own thing, instead of just copying things that most of us moved on from 40 years ago, there might be a lot more interesting and varied VSTi around.
+1

Shame that it seems it's not what most of the buying people want. Even at the hardware, people are all over old remakes. And when someone makes something unique like Trueno, even Sonic lab stated that they don't review/make a video of it because people most probably wouldn't be interested in it (had an email chat with them).

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 am If more developers did their own thing, instead of just copying things that most of us moved on from 40 years ago, there might be a lot more interesting and varied VSTi around.
Actually for the first time i agree with you (i know you don't care but anyway).

While you are at it i recommend you Reaktor free user library. That is if you use Reaktor. It's a swamp of weird sometimes utterly stupid synths but sometimes there are free gems.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... ll/119312/

Don't bother with alias, oversampling whatever the crap. Some really good and weird ensembles can be found there.

Press sound demo on this one (sound example player)

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/4525/

It's free. I mean some developers are asking ton of money for such synth.

kmonkey wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:09 am While you are at it i recommend you Reaktor free user library. That is if you use Reaktor. It's a swamp of weird sometimes utterly stupid synths but sometimes there are free gems.
+1 for this too :tu:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:12 am And when someone makes something unique like Trueno, even Sonic lab stated that they don't review/make a video of it because people most probably wouldn't be interested in it (had an email chat with them).

At a quick glance, the channel mostly seems to be about physical toys, i.e. electronics packed into large boxes with buttons, knobs and sliders that you can touch. Do they review virtual instruments? Because if their focus is heavily in the tangible toys/tools, they may well be right in assessing that their audience would not care about a USB stick that you fiddle with using your mouse in a GUI. The large boxes that you can touch and film yourself touching make for a much better presentation. :-)

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:11 pm
kmonkey wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:09 am
Press sound demo on this one (sound example player)

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/4525/

It's free. I mean some developers are asking ton of money for such synth.
But that is precisely a model of something old. Moreover, it's not even a super interesting model. There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but it's very similar to Equinox, which ships with Reaktor. The phasor is just a stereo version of Kleinstein, from Equinox. The primary difference, other than the U/I, is that it has the fixed filters for the different voicings. Ok, cool, but it's hardly "new."

IMO, I think that one key advantage of taking a more technical approach to things is that one becomes less biased by things like U/I.
Yes, the UI bias is a good point, yet I’ve come to a place in my life where UI is becoming more of a priority than it has in the past. Not necessarily a deal breaker or the highest priority, but given the plethora of options today...

v1o wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:41 pm At £99 this is cheaper than many VSTis. But I haven't heard anything from it that could remotely pass for an analogue synth. You could get the more analogue sounding Volca Bass or Volca Keys for not much more.
I’ve got a few analog synths that are a bit nicer than the Volcas, and I thought that quite a few of the sounds that I’ve heard from it sound analog. Kind of quirky and weird analog, but no doubt analog. Not every analog mono (though this is clearly a hybrid mono) sounds like a Moog or ARP.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

stearine wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:12 am And when someone makes something unique like Trueno, even Sonic lab stated that they don't review/make a video of it because people most probably wouldn't be interested in it (had an email chat with them).
At a quick glance, the channel mostly seems to be about physical toys, i.e. electronics packed into large boxes with buttons, knobs and sliders that you can touch. Do they review virtual instruments?
Yes, they do sometimes. I’m not sure why they wouldn’t on this.
Because if their focus is heavily in the tangible toys/tools, they may well be right in assessing that their audience would not care about a USB stick that you fiddle with using your mouse in a GUI. The large boxes that you can touch and film yourself touching make for a much better presentation. :-)
Here’s a plugin review from a week ago, and frankly not even a really interesting one:

https://youtu.be/4AQFpwAoWWM

So... I don’t quite understand why they would’t review the Trueno. In this time period where people seem to be clamoring for synths that have built in keybeds, something like this can be really attractive to people who’s world is filled by big keyboards. One thing I miss about the 90s is rack synths.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”