Getting Hive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

I too can't really imagine it, it is like imagining a 5-dimensional dung beetle :hihi:

Yeah, assigning an envelope to its own level is chaos. Don't do it, it's not worth thinking about. At best, you get an envelope that diminishes its own level, i.e. stays silent.

Assigning an envelope to its own rates is a very common technique on the Virus. So why not do it in software as well?

Urs wrote: Assigning an envelope to its own rates is a very common technique on the Virus. So why not do it in software as well?

you know I had a virus C redback edition for a long time but I never tried that one. I never even thought of it until Spire.

Man I love those Hive envelopes, so buttery and precise. They do exactly what you want. Hives envelopes are a very good experience. :)

Dasheesh wrote: well, I think it's a little more complicated then that because you have the shape of the entire envelope shaping one stage of the envelope, not shaping the entire envelope.... I'm still not satisfied with modulating envelope amount buy envelope amount of the same envelope.... I'm getting freaked out trying to visualize that. It's like a bad experience.
It would be, except for the fact that each stage of the envelope is, by definition, only happening when it's happening. So when the attack happens it only modulates the attack, when the decay happens it only modulates the decay, etc. You'd run into more complicated issues if you modulated envelope time with a different envelope, but not when you modulate an envelope time by itself.

I still can't imagine how it works, nor what the result would be. Maybe the problem is that the descriptions are vague.

Let's take a very simple envelope, only 10s of linear attack and 10s of linear decay, no sustain or release. When I apply that envelope to the attack phase, what would the resulting attack be/sound like? Would the increase get stronger during the first half (5s) of the attack phase, and then become weaker during the second half due to the decay phase as a modulator?
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nineofkings wrote:
Dasheesh wrote: well, I think it's a little more complicated then that because you have the shape of the entire envelope shaping one stage of the envelope, not shaping the entire envelope.... I'm still not satisfied with modulating envelope amount buy envelope amount of the same envelope.... I'm getting freaked out trying to visualize that. It's like a bad experience.
It would be, except for the fact that each stage of the envelope is, by definition, only happening when it's happening. So when the attack happens it only modulates the attack, when the decay happens it only modulates the decay, etc. You'd run into more complicated issues if you modulated envelope time with a different envelope, but not when you modulate an envelope time by itself.

UGH!, again with the bad experience. I'm going back to the safety of Hive. This makes me see double.

Here is some discussion abiout modulating envelopes by themselves

http://www.virus.info/forum/index.php/T ... recursion/

To my undertsanding, basically this is a way to change the curvature of attack or decay stage.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Your name came in handy, recursive one :D. It's very hard to picture this if you think about it too hard. My suggestion is to try it and listen to the results. Take a sound with a medium decay, modulate the decay time by its own envelope, hear it become snappier.

OMG Hive does it too! Is there anywhere safe anymore?

Dasheesh wrote:well, I think it's a little more complicated then that because you have the shape of the entire envelope shaping one stage of the envelope, not shaping the entire envelope.... I'm still not satisfied with modulating envelope amount buy envelope amount of the same envelope.... I'm getting freaked out trying to visualize that. It's like a bad experience.
just listen...

You can also just click the curves in e.g. Spire and get different envelope shapes. For maximum "punch" you can then kick in the x-comp.

Spire is a great little synth, that and Sylenth1 are basically all I use these days. It's a great setup if your objective is finishing tracks.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Both of these synths - Hive and Spire are really excellent and I see no other way than buying both of them :D
I've already used them in new tracks so once you do that there's really no turning back :lol:

Let me know if you want to sell Hive or Spire or if there's a sale somewhere.

Mission accomplished! I got both synths now and bought them from sellers here on KVR so I'd say this thread was indeed fruitful. KVR Rocks!
See you guys around!

After hearing this

https://soundcloud.com/hollosound/sets/ ... ansmitting

Now I want Hive too. There are some very lovely "organic/liquid" qualities in these sounds, which I'm not quite sure I may find in Sylenth, Spire, or even That Hardware Synth.

Some kind of pattern here.
Diva - "nah, I don't need these old boring sounds" - bought it few years later, love it;
Bazille - "weird, noisy nonsence with these spaghetti-like cables, unusable for anything other than abstract modular geekery" - bought it few yeras later, absolutely love it;
Repro - "nah, who on earth need a monosynth without even a BP or HP filter in 2017" - bought it about a year later, totally fond of it.
Hive - "meh, a Sylenth clone which even fails to sound like Sylenth", what's next?
Zebra is the only one which still didn't do it for me. Never tried Ace though.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”