Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

I didn't see how you save a patch/program once created.
Also, still seems to be no way to activate/play with x/y boxes? Not apparent to me yet.

Fathom April 2017 Development Schedule:

People, I just re-read all the posts in this thread to make sure I did not miss any features for the next release. Included here is the official list with time estimates.

New Oscillator:

Note that some of your feature requests are spread out because this next week I will be adding an entirely new oscillator.

This will be a “Dual Wave Oscillator”, which will allow addition, subtraction, and time scanning between any two waveforms. This will essentially provide frequency controlled notching in the waveform, using any shape, before it is passed through the FFT to generate the partials, thus creating the ability for incredibly thick waveform details with zero aliasing.

It will also include a skip cycle function which will allow you to add sub-bass overtones to your waveforms without it sounding like a separate octave is being used.

Or, in plain “English”, this will give Fathom that “Fat” sound that many of you have correctly poinsted out is missing. It will also allow extended pad style morphing between any two waveforms in the time domain controllable by any modulator.

User Features Schedule:

Release April 22 (1 Week):

Skyscape: Modulator Envelope and LFO Fractional numbers for the Period. Yes.
Skyscape: Modulator envelope remember step profile going back from glide profile. Yes.
Dozius: Signal flow detect feedback loops and refuse connection. Yes.
Musical Gym: Polyphony is misspelled as Polyphany on interface. Will be corrected.
Twal: Polyphony increase voices 16 to 32. Yes.
Twal: Master pitch dial on global panel. Yes.

Release April 29 (2 Weeks):

Ariston: Random signal LFO modulator. Yes.
Skyscape: Additive oscillator partials volume compensation. Yes.
Skyscape: Additive spectrum oscillator polyphonic in mono build. Not yet reproduced.
DJErmac: High frequency brightness balance control for all oscillator partials. Yes.
DJErmac: Audio components list mouse wheel scroll. Yes.
Fathom: Drawable LFO envelope. (Ariston’s suggestion gave me this idea).

May 2017:

Skyscape: Realtime performance in Renoise. Intel Vector SIMD will fix this.
Skyscape: Dial change stutter. I will figure out a way to make this inaudible.
Skyscape: Partials dial stutter. Same.
Twal: Processor power to drive 32 polyphonic voices. Intel Vector SIMD will fix this.
Shonky: Users manual especially for modulation matrix. Yes.
HPR: Excessive load on RAM. I will make buffeer sizes setable.
HPR: UI is cluttered in my host. The UI is resizable I just have to enable and test it.
HPR: Allow oscillators to function as modulators. Yes this is planned.

Later 2017:

Skyscape: Granular synthesis.
Skyscape: Padsynth algorithm.
Twal: Internal pluggin name should be Fathom not Synthesizer. Yes.

Questions:

Michaelbrac: Mac release? Yes, later in 2017.
Michaelbrac: Buy Windows version will include Mac license later? Yes.

My Questions:

Ariston: Sorry, what exactly is a “S+H” with smooth control?

Everett
Last edited by FathomSynth on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I figured out how to save patch to user folder.

That roadmap sounds great - I think this synth has a bright future :D Just wanted to sneak another suggestion in too. It would be really cool if there was an easy way to duplicate the set up of components. Say I've spent some time setting up an oscillator and I want a slight variation of it maybe something like ALT dragging it would duplicate it with all its settings. Not an urgent or important change, just another nice thing to consider for workflow :)

Browser seems to need work. The folders don't stay open to where you left them.
Loading a waveform from the waveforms folder doesn't seem to do anything as far as I can tell so far.

When sending note on from another plugin to Fathom, Fathom doesn't see the note off message and therefore does not terminate the sound. It just continues playing until the controlling plugin is removed from Fathom's input.

Sorry, I meant a sample and hold modulator. I was thinking of the one FXpansion implements in their Etch filter or their Maul distortion. A random LFO will do nicely!

zxant wrote: 
Any chance of a 32-bit Windows version?
?

The ability to draw oneself the waveform of the oscillator (as well as you will do for the LFO) would be awesome too, even if it may be scheduled for way later, it could be a very nice feature to think of... You can find a good inspiration in the way you can draw your own waveform in the oscillators of MUX (even in the freeware edition of Mulab, if you want to experiment to see how it can work).
Last edited by BlackWinny on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

nineofkings wrote:
zxant wrote: 
?

Sadly this question got no reply in Fathomsynths' 'roadmap' post. :( :?:

zxant wrote:
nineofkings wrote:
zxant wrote: 
?

Sadly this question got no reply in Fathomsynths' 'roadmap' post. :( :?:
I think that the developer will be actually able to answer this question only after a very efficient time spent to tweak at its best the use of the RAM and CPU resources in the current 64-bit edition.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny wrote:The ability to draw oneself the waveform of the oscillator (as well as you will do for the LFO) would be awesome too...
You can do that already, with the suitably named 'wave draw' osc
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

A question : how the purchasers will be alerted of each new release ?

Also, incidentally, it would be nice to have the current available version at the top right of the KVR product page. It would be another chance to never miss a new release given that the purchaser who have filled this product page with the tag "I own this" have systematically the alert among their updates in their "My KVR" page and in their own "update list" in red at the top of each KVR page.
:)

kingtubby wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:The ability to draw oneself the waveform of the oscillator (as well as you will do for the LFO) would be awesome too...
You can do that already, with the suitably named 'wave draw' osc
Ah, thanks! I missed it!
:tu:

One minor issue with polyphony. When first loading Fathom and dragging in an osc, the polyphony is set to max (16) according to the dial yet it plays in mono. A quick adjustment to the dial and it's ok.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

Ariston: I will read up on the Sample and Hold modulator and add it when I add the random signal modulator. We will also be adding the ability to use any oscillator as a modulator.

Musical Gym: To save a program, enter a new name in the top name box, hit the Browser button, select the User folder and hit the Save button.

The XY pads are modulators, they will show up in the modulator list in the modulation matrix the same way an LFO does. To use them, select a dial knob, hit Add Mod, Select Modulator. Then select Front Panel Control, and select which axis you want to control the dial. There is no limit to how many dials a 2D knob can control.

Skyscape: Select and copy a set of components in the signal flow. Yes I will add that as a feature.

Musical Gym: Sorry, I admit the browser is confusing because the same mechanism is used for both programs and waveforms. If you add a “Wave Draw” oscillator and hit the Waves button, then when you are in the browser and you select a waveform it will load the waveform into the Wavedraw oscillator. You can also preview the sound of multiple waveforms in the browser without leaving before loading one of them.

Nineofkings: Sorry I missed your post. Yes, I can build you a 32 bit version of the plugin, but I will have no way to test it, you will have to just try it. I will try to do that this week for you. I will add that to the Road Map.

BlackWinny: I plan on making a Tutorial Video on the Wavedraw feature since Fathom can do that and not many synths can.

Kingtubby: New oscillator plays mono. That is a bug, I will fix that.

Release Updates:

I have not yet figured out a mechanism for people to get software release updates. I don’t think anyone should have to pay for the product again, that would not be fair. Bug fix releases should be free. Feature releases I might charge a small fee like a dollar to help keep the project going, since it does take time to do them.

I can easily make a coded web page for release update downloads, the danger is that if the secret gets out or the code is distributed, then everyone will just get the release update for free and no one will buy the product. If you all want I will try this as an experiment and see if the number of downloads matches the number of requests. :wink:

For now I will just give you all free release updates individually, since I can just remove the download after it used once. Let me think about this a little more. If anyone has suggestions let me know.

Return to “Instruments”