Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

I think he wants an LFO that doesnt reset on anything, i.e. a true free-running low frequency oscillator whose phase is never interrupted/reset by anything.

(Which makes a lot of sense because when you modulate say PW (i.e. PulseWidth) you obviously want that to be continuous no matter what, simply because it would sound like crap if the phase were to always reset to zero on a new note and/or transport start/stop.)

IMO its a must-have feature in a LFO module because there are many instances where the LFO should just keep going uninterruptedly.

(Of course the ability to have the LFO reset on note-ons and sync to transport-start and song-position etc. is equally useful, so for maximum usability a good LFO module should support ALL the various modes.)

ENV1 thank you, absolutely right.
Such LFOs would modulate everything independently. Not pitch only.
I made a video to explain my thoughts. Thanks for the watching.
Here it is

https://youtu.be/k3tMB_8mfXs

OK, i see what you are saying. Such a "free" LFO mode would have the following characteristics.

1. The LFO instance would be applied independently per unison voice.

2. The LFO phase would never reset, for instance if a note started, then stopped and started again on a particular unison voice within a polyphonic voice, the phase of that LFO instance for that unison voice would pick up where it left off.

3. The phase of the LFO would start randomly when it was invoked for the very first time on a particular unison voice for the first note played, to ensure that it is not synchronized to another instance of the LFO on another unison voice.

4. This "free" mode, would be truly free and an additional mode to trigger by song or by note.

Yes sir 😍 Could be this difficult to implement?

No, not really very difficult.

FathomSynth wrote: The LFO phase would never reset, for instance if a note started, then stopped and started again on a particular unison voice within a polyphonic voice, the phase of that LFO instance for that unison voice would pick up where it left off.
Precisely.

(And not only with regard to unison voices, but generally. Things like PWM, Vibrato, Tremolo, etc., they all need a free-running osc that just goes on oscillating uninterruptedly, like it was the case on all the old analog synths that didnt yet provide 'fancy' options like osc retrigger / phase reset.)

FathomSynth wrote:This "free" mode, would be truly free and an additional mode to trigger by song or by note.
That would be optimal. Because ultimately it is all equally useful (depending on what you want to achieve) so it can only be an advantage to have all options available.

Yes a free running LFO is a good idea so I will try to get that in.

:phones: New Sound Bank for sale, "Alien Technology" 160 presets by Wagtunes.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/banks

Wouldn't mind random LFO phase so they aren't running constantly. Or something like random after some amount of time or number of cycles.

Congrats, Mr. Wagtunes, having bought your Aparillo and Synthmaster One
sounds, I'll take a 'stroll of faith' and get this new one too :hyper:
Glad you're in deep with Fathom!

I attached a pre-Wags 50 second loop, Fathom slumming in unison
with some decrepid old 32 bit dinosaur, and a linux rakarrack
effect preset.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey Wags, your sounds are great fun! They also fill in a preset gap
with many bread & butter sounds suitable for many genres, and very few
of them tax the cpu. Each category has sounds that will be useful.
(Note, I did not say bread & margarine :hihi: )

The noise sweeps are a very nice bonus, your pads are rich and in tune (yeah NI,
remember that!) the pluks and keys will cover lots of territory, and the synth
and lead sounds don't shred eardrums. Short on time, I only tried a few
of the modulations, but they seem designed for music and performance,
rather than some stoners gathering. (please stoners, gather in California,
they need your legal-drugs taxes :wink: )
Very happy with the purchase, only wish I had more play time this weekend :(
Cheers

Just picked up the Fathom Pro Bundle, great price!

Hey Wags. Is there a preview of you Fathom sound banks that we can listen to?

courtjestr wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:54 pm Hey Wags. Is there a preview of you Fathom sound banks that we can listen to?
Here you go.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... athom-demo

NOTE: The set Everett is selling is only 160 of the total 250 sounds I created. The entire set will go on sale next week but obviously at a higher cost than the one on sale at his site. This gives people a choice of either getting all or a part and thus spending less money. I think it's a smart decision.

Nice sounds Steven. :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:45 am Nice sounds Steven. :)
Thanks. I tried to do a not too traditional set because it's a modular synth, so it won't be everybody's cup of tea.

Return to “Instruments”