Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

There is an elliptic filter built into the free rs-met toolchain vst (in the engineers filter portion). You might be able to ask the author how he did it.

Most comb filters I've seen actually use frequency, although I can't begin to tell you how they match delay time to specific frequencies. Probably the best starting point is the actual fundamental frequency made when the delay line self oscillates, after all the most common use of comb filters is in karplus strong synthesis.

FathomSynth wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:02 pm RPH, Thanks, you are now Seaweed Audio's honorary VP of Research And Development.

Also, one quick question on the comb filter, what is the primary parameter name for the comb filter which most people are use to seeing? I know it is not frequency like most filters since a comb filter is achieved with essentially a simple delay line. Are the units normally milliseconds, seconds, or samples?
Hahaha, nice ;)

Example: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/comb-f ... kilohearts

Thanks, that looks like the perfect example of all the necessary comb filter parameters.

That makes sense, the frequency specifies the distance between the combs in the frequency domain.

Also, I think it is safe to assume that a lot of the time people use the comb filter to produce that swooshing sound so rather than forcing people to modulate the frequency width parameter manually I will add a built in speed dial with which the user can immediately specify the speed.

DrMEM wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:25 pm There is an elliptic filter built into the free rs-met toolchain vst (in the engineers filter portion). You might be able to ask the author how he did it.
http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html

Author:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15959

AmbieticA wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:37 am I've been looking for a Formant Filter type for awhile, but still haven't found that either.
This should help:

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/fp/Form ... ample.html

RPH wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:03 pm
AmbieticA wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:37 am I've been looking for a Formant Filter type for awhile, but still haven't found that either.
This should help:

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/fp/Form ... ample.html
RPH, you’re the resident "search king"! Actually lately, I've been using Fathom's filters to emulate Formant Synthesis. Using multiple Bandpass and EQ filters modulated to morph across the vowel spectrum. Here's a great article explaining what I'm in the process of:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -synthesis

So far so good, but what I'm trying to achieve is still a work in progress. I'll share the work when I finally feel like it's what I'm after. Think Verdi's Requiem style chorals in one patch!

Thanks for sharing that find RPH! :D
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

If this were a Native Instruments topic, 3/4 of the readers
would rush off to find Verdi's facebook page :hihi:

glokraw wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:46 am If this were a Native Instruments topic, 3/4 of the readers
would rush off to find Verdi's facebook page :hihi:
Why? Most people seems pretty tired of NI nowadays, also, their Massive X hasn't even been close to a success so far.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

'twas my dubious attempt at poking fun towards the yoothfil NI customers
assuming the timeframe of Verdi's life would be lost on them to a
sizeable extent :(

How many facebook accounts are owned by people who died in 1901?
(yeah, I don't do standup comedy for a living :wink: )
Cheers

MX is a trainwreck, few manhours were invested in actual thought
regarding people actually hoping to install and use it.
I think NI ran out of money, forcing an inkomplete beta version
to hit the cybershops. How the mightee have fallen.

AmbieticA wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:23 am RPH, you’re the resident "search king"! Actually lately, I've been using Fathom's filters to emulate Formant Synthesis. Using multiple Bandpass and EQ filters modulated to morph across the vowel spectrum. Here's a great article explaining what I'm in the process of:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -synthesis
Cheers! :tu:
Good link you posted as well, i'll try that as well.

I've done a few tests myself, but instead using the sequencer to step between vowels.
Found it nearly impossible to do that, even with just 1 bandpass:

Say F1 is 240 Hz, try to set the second step in the sequencer to e.g. 390Hz and the third step to 850Hz.
The sequencer is set to Add, the base frequency of the filter is 240Hz..whatever I do the second or third step is never exactly what I want.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't zoom in to those frequencies. It's either somewhere above or below.

Thinking out loud: Or that i'm able to set e.g. three steps and lock them all to my specific frequency wishes.

Could someone please click on My Actual Studio.
Someone unchecked their's and it left an ugly red -1 on the plugin page here.

Thanks that fixed it.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Done, I think. First time I used that function..

Thanks!

I forgot to update the sale dates and the price was $125 for a couple hours without me realizing it,
and I think someone must have objected.

Hello Seaweed,

i like Fathom Synth a lot, especially the way you can build up synths from scratch fast, and the detailed bezir-editing features and routing options. He does a lot better than other synths. Thank you for creating such a nice synth!

So far it feels like a beta-phase.
I miss these things and would be happy if they were added soon or some day:

Modular:
- Possibility for feedback-routing (for a mod-delay for example)
- band splitter + M/S splitter
- macro controlls
- sidechain
- envelope follower (attack, release, inverse, scew, min, max)
- signal shaper

FX:
- a waveshaper (please!)
- flanger
- comb filter

OSC:
- hardsync
- linear FM (or the possibility to fix one OSC to X Hz)
- oversampling for FM
- phase setting for each oscillator
- reverse, change polarity for OSC/wave
- additive: more partials (up to 600?) and highlighted octaves (+ save state)
- easy unison with adjustable phase and spread

GUI and handling:
- filter: view only linked modulations / modulation of selected modul
- warnings an messages schould appear in a messagebox in the middle
- possibility for saving and copy unison-settings for example
- maybe possibility to listen to presets (preview)
- unison: maybe jump between parameters instead of jump between voices?
- macro-knobs
- the website...

And for the future, maybe:
- a arpeggiator
- a flat design, looks very old-fashioned currently, but that's a matter of taste.

I had issues with the following things:

- FM-sound changed, after released the saw/sqareknob.
- CPU settings changed sound dramaticley, all settings are erased
- much research for the question: What's the "MT"-version of the plugin?
- saved preset, but where is it? Start folder (open) could be the last folder.

It's very sympathetic how you let us have a say in development.
Great work! Thank you!

Return to “Instruments”