VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

I wonder if you consider to create and sell modules, to be imported/dismissed
by the user, and not part of the Fathom code itself? And then
as popularity/success dictate, maybe modify them for
the VCV Rack or even a Euro-rack hardware.
VCV has quite a few modules to buy, including a vst host module.
They are mostly in the impulse price range.
Is there actually a desperation price range? :hihi: Cue the 'Waves' salesmen.

http://www.switchedonrack.com/ is a VCV Rack blog/site

I've got the linux VCV version, made a guitar effects setup pretty easily,
but I much prefer your gui, as I like my spaghetti on a dinner plate :hyper:

I'd pay for audio-in, midi-out, and vst-host modules.
BlueCat has implemented 3rd party vst hosting in their
Axiom ampsim/effects suite
and it's an awesome and oft used feature.

Great to hear a new soundset is coming!
Cheers

FathomSynth wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:23 pm
Your points are all valid. There is a certain purity and honesty in a company having only one synth. I would actually prefer it myself. But what are the options? Only three:

1) Continue to add features and slowly raise the price.
2) Continue to add features and keep the price.
3) Have product levels or configurations.
Fathom, what about major versioning?The Hive 2 upgrade was about 20 bucks. The primary thing when it comes to a major version, is actually a new gui with a new color variation. Push out a graphics variation, as a slight variation to the current. It has to have the experience of a new version, so move a knob or two and add a knob or two. This will cause your customer base to jump the gap to upgrade if the price is right. It also frees you from the price set for the last version. Upgrade price and standard price for the new version is open and become arbitrary. Sort your planned features into an internal roadmap and implement the ones you can in small steps, internally set a date for the next major version. This will require you to stop adding features to the current versions and only fix bugs in bug fixes and counter-cracking code under 'optimized code' in the change log for tge current version. Be sure to make teasers for the next major upgrade. As far as Fathom X as concerned, your bedt best is just Fathom and Fathom demo, or if you must have a freebie, then let it be the demo equivalent. Too many name embellishments and it will start to sound gimmicky and lose credibility to the current customer and potential customers. The Sylenth1 'one synth only' model only works once, people can really only buy it once. If they had a Sylenth2, and other products, and added them slowly and strategically, it would have kept them at the top and forefront.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

FathomSynth wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:19 pm Fathom sampler is going to be so tightly and seamlessly integrated into the current product that it will function as one product.

You will be able to drag the Sampler as an oscillator unit into the signal flow and have as many sampler's as you want while enjoying all the filter and effects options as normal. i.e., each Sampler will be part of the signal flow.

Then when you click on the Sampler unit the bottom panel will show the sample loop points, forward reverse, stretch, in place sample editing, etc. Also like the wave draw unit, the sampler lower panel will be expandable so the in place sample editing will expand to take up the entire center view and even a large mode like wave draw which expands to the entire interface, then a quick one click to get back to the signal flow view.

There will also be a sample list editor where any single or group of samples can be easily dragged and dropped into all possible keyboard, velocity and after-touch zones, as well as ability to modulate between such profiles in real time. This will include random and round robin features for multiple samples occupying the space of a single virtual sample.

The ability to mix your sample library using Fathom as an editing and mapping tool along with combining it with Fathom's existing oscillators, filters and effects, necessitate it functioning as one VST instrument.

You will also have the ability to route the sampler into any oscillator so you can do FM with either the carrier or modulator as a sampler or oscillator or vice versa.

The sampler will also be route-able as a audio rate or low frequency modulator usable in the matrix for any other parameter dial.

There will also be a Sample Wave Table which will essentially be the Wave Table oscillator but with samples, and I will probably make it so that individual wave positions can either be drawn waves or samples.
OK, that's it ...Now I can see Kontakt collecting dust. Basically the only thing besides Fathom I use now. Kontakt has attempted to integrate wavetable based synthesis into the system. I have the Ethereal Earth library which uses this new Kontakt feature. I've also played with the very minimal wavetable settings in Kontakt. If what I just read is whats going to be the future Fathom sampler component, I'm in awe! This would be an industry first from what I've experienced. Thank you for posting some specifics. Whens the release? Tomorrow perhaps? HA HA HA! :D
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

Fathom makes you want to play and practice, and practice and play
Attached an example, 3 of the Ambient presets
without anything else.

Looking forward to the boss's new soundbank :hyper:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Attached clip with the same three Fathom sounds, a bit different playing.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

glokraw wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:00 am Fathom makes you want to play and practice, and practice and play
Attached an example, 3 of the Ambient presets
without anything else.

Looking forward to the boss's new soundbank :hyper:
Thanks for sharing that piece. Made me feel like it was performed in a planetarium. The tracks end "swirl" was cool :)
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

Glad you enjoyed that. It's great fun the use the wonderful sounds
and synth.
Your website is excellent, a library in the making. 8)
...so much to absorb...
Cheers

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=525951

A perfect example of how NOT to do business..

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:42 pm viewtopic.php?f=1&t=525951

A perfect example of how NOT to do business..
I have no words. Glad I sold my license when I did.

What an ass.

:party: Fathom Synth Sound Bank Sale.

All individual sound banks $5.00.

Morning Everett,

How long will the sale be on for? Payday is getting closer, but it's not quite arrived yet.

How long do you want?

I bought a couple of these, and find some great sounds.
Some of them are extremely complex, like murals
of sound, and thus hit the cpu as expected.
But Tone2 recently released a mimimalist wrapper/host,
to provide lower cpu usage on such instruments.
It works like the venerable SaviHost, you put
Nanohost64.exe (or the 32 bit version) in the Fathom folder,
and rename it Fathom.exe, and run it like a standalone instrument.

It provided a noticable difference compared to using Reaper.
It has a built-in record function, so saved recordings
can be fed back to your daw.

https://www.tone2.com/nanohost.html

Cheers

The user manual has now been updated with a section on Detune.

All the detune dials are now explained.

Brilliant, are you going to add some detail on the distortion too?

Return to “Instruments”