Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

2.30 will be out late tonight EST, I'm building it now.

FathomSynth wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:31 pm 2.30 will be out late tonight EST, I'm building it now.
It will be tomorrow for me then... :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

Is 2.3.0 Up?

:phones: Version 2.30 Released!

New Variable Biquad Filter with modulated order and slope controls.

https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates

Thanks, So far looks good; now time for rest

So I just paid for an upgrade, and got my password a few days ago. Will this be included, or am I expected to pay again?

2.30 Free Upgrade

If you just purchased the upgrade, for instance version 2.29, then you should not have to buy 2.30.
Just download it for free by clicking on one of the download update buttons.

https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates

Do not send me your upgrade receipt asking for a password, the receipt needs to be for Fathom Pro, or at the very least the email you are sending from must match a purchase email in our database.

New Juicy Biquad Filter

2.30 has a brand new filter of my own design called the Variable Biquad.

It is a basic biquad second order resonant filter (the most common filter for software synthesizers) but with two additional controls, an order control which increases the steepness of the resonance, and a new continuous roll-off or slope control which can go from -24 DB steep roll off all the way up to a flat high pass with no roll-off like a parametric.

The thing that makes it unique is that the variable roll of is not done by cascading filters, it is done by directly manipulating the zero position points in relation to the pole points in the biquad transfer function, which (in english) means that it is twice as fast as a cascade filter.

This is basically the sought after Synth Master continuously variable filter except that it also has a variable order control which goes from second order to fourth order.

I almost named it the "Juicy Biquad" and if you try it you will see why.

If you search the internet for a continuously variable roll-off second order digital filter you will find a lot of questions about this beast but no one to my knowledge has ever published the formula, and I finally figured out how to implement the math geometrically.

The good news is that the math is fairly simple so that the filter modulates per sample creating a very "juicy" modulation which can be further brightened by modulating the roll off which is also modulated per sample.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Thu May 02, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nice update. Thanks. :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

This is fantastic news, very exciting. Hope to see a video or audio clip of the filter in use!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

:!: Folks, Version 2.30 is also a critical new release since it will be going directly to Computer Music Magazine for their DVD publication, so please let me know a soon as possible if anyone notices any problems.

FathomSynth, I enjoyed your very positive review of Dune 3! Especially since I share your opinion.

And I am looking forward to exploring the latest iteration of Fathom. My how it has grown!

:tu:

Oh, and if I may make a suggestion, please try to keep the words “Fathom Synth” in the thread title.
바보

Indeed - retitling the thread in this way is not a good idea.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Fathom v 2.30 is very nice!

The overall filter improvements seem to have made a difference on my system. Some pad presets that were previously very CPU hungry with high polyphony seem to stay under the red line now.

So I tried swapping in the new Biquad filter on some of them, and they became even less hungry! Awesome!

No issues encountered, but I am mostly a preset tweaker in Fathom, so no really deep dives into modulations yet.

My own attempts at sound creation with this very deep tool are still pretty humble and basic. :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Yes, I agree Fathom should always stay in the thread header, I just fixed it.

SparkySpark, bftucker, zzz00m, great to see you are still following the thread.
It's really cool to see when some of the original team is still here.

Yes, I thought people might like that variable biquad filter.
It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time.
Have a basic biquad second order resonant filter with a variable slope is a must.
Synth Master has one and I always felt like Fathom fell short by not having one.
But now it does.

I almost called it the "Juicy Biquad" since if you increase the order dial
from second order to fourth order it gets very punchy and actually rings a little.

Here's my attempt at a basic trance morph or buildup.

https://static.kvraudio.com/files/3302/trance_morph.mp3

Was doing some testing today and I often test by building a complex patch.

I was trying to mimic a Deadmau5 or Tiesto morph, but it's not quite right.

Anyone feel free to download the Fathom patch and do a better job so I can use it as a demo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”