Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:18 am That's a tough one - backwards compatibility. Either have a choice how automation/modulation should affect the parameter (vintage - knob - direct) Or have a legacy mode which would keep that hidden but would treat formerly saved patches as they had been treated before. That requires some information which version had been used to create a preset and a little warning if you are about to overwrite it...
That sounds like Kontakt :lol: Personally for me it wouldn't matter. I could have multiple Fathom Dll versions to handle the issue. But, if someone else besides me were to load the patch ...Well, there could be problems :wink:
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

Fathom always maintains backwards compatibility for presets and I have regression tests to make sure that old presets sound exactly the same even after new features are added.

What this means for the filter frequency dials and log scales is that older presets which used a linear scale would load in the same mode they existed in for the old software. A new preset would conversely have the new log scale.

Also, there will be a setting on the settings page to control all frequency dials for linear and log scale so this would of course be up to the user. The default for new software will be the log scale like most other synths.

Hi Everett,

The progress on this this is amazing!!!

Quick Q... Could the be an easier way to control the detune of multiple unison voices instead of going into each voice and change it only to go back and forth between multiple ones to get it right?
Like a slider or something?

Cheers
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

We don't yet have an easy version of detune, however you can create your own.

Select 4 Voices on the detune page and spend some time getting these voices interacting exactly the way you want. Set them so the detune spread is just a little more severe then you would normally want.

Then hit the "Save Default" button and those settings will be loaded when ever a new oscillator is added to the signal flow.

Then you can use the large "Amount, Stereo, Amplitude and Frequency" dials on the detune page to quickly dial in the detune you want just as you would with a synth that only provided these simple dials.

Videos included with cm269 (June 2019, in UK shops next week):
The CM Guide to Fathom CM - Part 1
1. An overview of Fathom CM's interface
2. Building a synth voice with Fathom CM
3. Using Fathom CM's Modulation Matrix
4. Adding an ADSR envelope
5. Modular-style filtering with Fathom CM's Sample & Hold
6-7. Exploring Fathom CM's envelopes and custom LFOs
8. Fathom CM's sequencing features
9. Adding effects to our Fathom CM patch
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

They are going to make a suite of 9 videos on Fathom for the next issue?

FathomSynth wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:59 pm We don't yet have an easy version of detune, however you can create your own.

Select 4 Voices on the detune page and spend some time getting these voices interacting exactly the way you want. Set them so the detune spread is just a little more severe then you would normally want.

Then hit the "Save Default" button and those settings will be loaded when ever a new oscillator is added to the signal flow.

Then you can use the large "Amount, Stereo, Amplitude and Frequency" dials on the detune page to quickly dial in the detune you want just as you would with a synth that only provided these simple dials.
Cheers
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Yes, got my subscriber issue, and theres a 5 page tutorial, ending with them saying they are going to do more tutorials with it later still.
Congratulations, looks like it's going well!
I hope it has brought some extra sales for you.

Yes there's been a big upsurge in sales.
Also a lot of people are buying the upgrades which really helps with development cost.

2.29 will be out soon with the new Log Scale filter frequency dials.

Things seem to be going pretty well for Fathom. And well deserved too!

Recently I've been distracted by the amazingly versatile and great sounding Surge since it became free and open source. Surge has many strongpoints, but a very strong one is the easy and precise ways of tweaking the oscillator shapes. Surge lacks the free drawing/(i)FFT of Fathom, but (like Fathom) has wavetable import to compensate for that. Just a few clever knobs open up a welcome world of spectrum adjustment/fine-tuning/modulation.

Very usefull stuff.

Surge lacks the adjustment of envelope curves though. As Fathom (and e.g. SynthMaster) can do.

Recently I've been delving into the Alpha Juno oscillators too. It's digital oscillators are unusual in a way that they can be "chopped" (set to 0) at pulse intervals. Aciddose (of Xhip fame) has a detailled analysis in a (weirdly evolving) thread here on KVR.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=420194&start=60
https://imgur.com/a/k6RcS

Might be a "simple" additional way to shape oscillators (osc2/modulator "chops" osc1/carrier)?

Also, Surge has a global feedback circuit, where you can even add transformations in the feedback path (like a shaper and/or filter). Also, it's FM implementation has feedback (both at oscillator level and "algorithm" level). As far as I know Fathom does not handle feedback loops (yet)? Not per patch and not global?

Feedback options would be a welcome addition.

I really intend to spend more quality time with Fathom again. It has great potential and many, many options to achieve many, many goals. But it takes (me) quite some navigating and GUI interaction to fill in the finer details. Maybe it's just my personal learning curve...

Keep up the good work!

The elite version of Fathom will have a chop function which is already implemented.

This is actually a good time to request oscillator shaping options since I am developing that code now.

I don't think I'll have time to download surge, but if you make a quick video showing some of the features you would like to see in Fathom then I will certainly watch it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:01 am The elite version of Fathom will have a chop function which is already implemented.

This is actually a good time to request oscillator shaping options since I am developing that code now.

I don't think I'll have time to download surge, but if you make a quick video showing some of the features you would like to see in Fathom then I will certainly watch it.
Great news! Even more versatility for Fathom!

I'm a great believer in the added value of versatile oscillator shaping (both "static" and "dynamic"). Instead (or better: preventing the necessity) of evergrowing libraries of samples (one-shots, single cycles, wave tables).

I do understand you cannot devote to much time to checking out all sorts of solutions that others have thought of and/or have implemented in their products.

I'll see if I can find (or create) some concise example videos of Surge's strongpoints. And perhaps also of other lesser known (mainly free) synths. You never know. Seemingly trivial info might lead to great things.

Anyway. Surge is really well worth a quick try.

At least check out:
- the very versatile oscillators (especially the shaping options like h skew, v skew, saturate, formant/selfsync)
- the mixer + mixer gain (=filter drive)
- the (global signal path) feedback options
- maybe some of the great filtertypes
- the fine and ultra-fine adjustment options
- the expand range (for a modulation/knob) option (e.g. on pitch)

As you may or may not know: Surge is the brainchild of Bitwig developer Claes Johanson (and was marketed under Vember Audio).

Surge product page on KVR
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/surge-by-vember-audio

Surge now lives a second, free and prosperous life as an Open Source Project on GitHub.
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/

Surge manual (online)
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/manual/

Surge actually has the potential to evolve into a mighty open source community supported mega-synth that might even out-compete many commercial synths (as it already does).
Last edited by Kwurqx on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wave shaping like zeta2 would be nice but guess it's quite cpu munching process?

Thanks guys, I'll make time to look at this sometime during the current oscillator development.

I took a quick look through the Surge manual. It looks like a very well designed instrument. Unfortunately they don't say much about exactly how their various oscillator wave shaping options are working and what exactly they do. However, it looks like it would be well worth playing with it a bit.

What exactly is Zeta2 doing?

There's a screenshot from the oscillator section. You can modulate all those waveshapers with lfo or envelope or midi or..... And use that audio to fm osc 2 so the sounds can get a bit wild sometimes :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”