Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Jorgeelalto wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:18 pm Dude that piano sounds incredibly realistic, you have my sound design respect forever :love: :love:
Hehe thanks. I can't take all the credit though. Like I said in that post with the example I closely followed the information and general synthesis philosophy of the Sound on Sound synth secrets series. It goes into quite a lot of detail in what constitutes a "realistic" piano and how achieve something like that with synthesis. The main problem was making the whole sound play nicely over the full range of 88 keys with somewhat realistic timbre changes of velocity. Probably about half of the modulation routings are dedicated to this task alone. :)

Cheers!
bM
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

My opinion on Karplus Strong: All fathom would really need is dedicated comb filter and resonator (multiple comb filters in series/parallel) effect modules. Comb could be tuned to notes and the resonator to harmonics and scales and both should have diffusion and limited range frequency shifting in my opinion for additional possible effects. Granular could maybe work better in the sampler, with sampler and granulator being different generator modules within that plug.

Actually I plan on adding a dedicated Karplus Strong string modelling oscillator.

Lots of controls will be provided for the original noise burst so the entire string type can be changed and modulated.

I remember when this driving noise burst, fed into a resonator, was new, in the Technics WSA-1, which I had. It's a nice physical instrument, but Fathom does so very much more.

Yeah, Karplus Strong is not that hard to do.

Actually you could already do it on Fathom with a Noise Oscillator and Digital Delay,
but the Digital Delay time needs to be tied to the note frequency,
so I will be adding a new oscillator to handle that automatically.

:borg: Also, in case anyone is interested the next release will have save-able modulators to file,
and the ability to quickly click and drag modulators onto dials.

I have an issue with Fathom 2.24 and the latest Reaper.

edit..also same situation in Mlub 7

Load basic waveform osc....default settting
connect it to fractal reverb.....default setting.

When I play one note and release the cpu meter starts rising and goes into red. If I hit any other key cpu reduces to min. wait for a couple seconds and can repeat scenario.

Windows 7 64
I downlaoded the Fathom upgrade. Simply replaced the Fathom dll
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Ok, I'll take a look.

I also noticed the crescendoing /descending cpu meter
but didn't report because I'm using Fathom
in linux-wine-reaper :ud: Pretty sure it was
when I tried adding the (wunderbar) fractal reverb
to various presets.
Cheers
:party: :party: 2019 INNNNNNNNNNNCOMMMMIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGG :party: :party:

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:45 pm I notice that Fathom's rrp is now $125. Is my memory failing me or is that quite a substantial increase from what it was recently?

Edit: trying the mono version for the first time. Many of the presets, even leads, have a large boost at around 15hz that messes with the gain in other plugins like Black Rooster's VPRE-73. Ambient > Brute Lead and Retro > Concert Hall Stab are two examples.
No your are not dreaming. It seems Seaweed Audio has increased the price but has also increased alot of the features in the past few months. Most of us have always felt Fathom was a bit cheap and thus have regularly opted to purchase voluntary updates....kinda of a donation to keep it active. It does still go on generous sales from time to time.

I also noticed low freq issues on things awhile back. Sometimes it would pop in and out sometime hover a bit. I havent seen it recently though.
You can always insert one of Fathoms HP filters to kill it. or maybe use the main Eq

I will look at those presets in the latest full version and see if it is still there.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

:!: LOL, No, That is my mistake.

It was never my intention to charge $125.00 for Fathom.

The KVR sale dates expired and I forgot. I was never able to figure out how to set the KVR marketplace settings for a permanent sale price.

It is back down to the regular $45.00 now.

:party: Also, there's been a flurry of new Fathom reviews here on KVR lately, all for five stars.
Many thanks bftucker, kallaw and Mjusick_73!

How long does it usually take to send a password for the updated zip file?
I sent my request last sunday. Ok, that was quite close to christmas, lots of stuff to do. I understand that. Can you check, anyway?

-kylie-

I have an alarm on my gmail.

So normally if I'm at my PC password requests are sent back in minutes.
A couple hours at the most.

If you did not receive it then I must have missed your email.

Anyway, sent you a PM.

Although I bought this synth quite some time ago, I only just got around to trying it. I find it very hard to interact with the synth (version 2.24), because of the extremely slow GUI updates. Even when I use just a single oscillator and one filter. And even when I use the smallest GUI size (although it gets worse at bigger sizes). Nothing moves smoothly, when I turn a knob (using my mouse or touchpad) it moves with a lag and in steps. And so does the sound (for example when I move the cutoff frequency knob). When I for example use an LFO to move the cutoff frequency, it does sound smooth... not steppy, like when I manually move the knob.

This is weird, because my computer (iMac 2017, i7, Mojave) is plenty fast, the CPU use when using this plugin (at least in the very simple setup I described) is low and I tried the suggestions in the manual, to no avail. I also made sure Fathom was installed exactly as described.

I did a quick search on this forum and found no reports of this problem. Before I'm going to bother support with this, I just want to make sure... the behavior I described is not common with Fathom, is it?

RichN,

Which host are you using?

Which oscillator does it happen for, or all of them, are some worse than others?

Also, try the following:

In settings disable all the following (so they are red):
Mouse Animation
Wave Table Animation
Smooth Spectrum
Load Presets in UI Thread

Also go to the main global panel the one with the row of faders,
and find the last dial called Panel Mode and set it to "No Overlay"

And then let me know if the problem still happens.

Return to “Instruments”