Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

For those who (would) like to experiment with Frequency and/or Phase and/or Amplitude Modulation in a modular environment.

Check out the excellent and free Sonigen Modular (32-bit only). A very versatile (and CPU efficient) true modular softsynth (with max 32 note polyphony and unison).
http://www.sonigen.com/

You will have to set up you're own signal chain and modulation off course. It exposes the Amplitude, Phase and Frequency of an oscillator to be modulated by a variety of modulation sources. Among them: other oscillators at audiorates. But there are presets.

Sonigen Modular may seem scary, complicated and generally a lot of work to master and work with. But It allows you to get really good insight into the wonderfull world of audiorate modulation. And most other synthesizer techniques and configurations for that matter.

This sort of experiments, knowledge and understanding will (also) really help you to get the most out of your own (or more generally almost any other) synthesizer(s).
Last edited by Kwurqx on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm on Sierra still - should I install the official Mac build or the Sierra build? What's the diff?

@Fathomsynth

A seemingly trivial function in the filter(s) is the MIX. I really appreciate that one.

Amongst other things that's really usefull to have some highs mixed back into the output of a Low Pass filter without having to solve this in the modulation matrix. Also, since filters can also change phase, you can dial in some general spectral changes throughout the spectrum.

Very usefull in strings, pads and choirs to retain a richer higher spectrum (but off course not limited to use in this sort of sounds and/or filtertypes).

Another winner: the Pass Band setting/modulation on the (excellent) Analog Nonlinear filter. Really nice and precise.
Last edited by Kwurqx on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not sure what the Ring parameter actually does on the same Analog Nonlinear filter.

It seems to add some high frequencies to the spectrum. It does add detail and clarity, but pretty subtle.

Maybe some subtle ringmodulation of the input and/or output (with a sine)?. Or just some other subtle distortion.

If you are on Mac High Sierra I would use the Sierra build, it is built using the more current C++ SDK.

The Ring parameter allows the filter to ring if the resonance is set on max by allowing the resonance to go higher. It is basically just a way to push the resonance higher and make the filter ring.

FathomSynth wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:50 pm
The Ring parameter allows the filter to ring if the resonance is set on max by allowing the resonance to go higher. It is basically just a way to push the resonance higher and make the filter ring.
Aha...thanks! So it' s that sortvof Ring.

I did some experiments around my previous post with the extremes of the various filter parameter and did notice some extra "ringing" a high resonce levels. But I just couldn't put my finger on the effect. A spectrum analyzer hardly shows a difference. But...the ears do notice a difference.

It's a bit quiet in here! What are people doing - actually creating music rather than hang at KVR? :hihi:

Anyway, re the discussion on FM lately in this thread: Waves just now released a spooky FM synth with a very odd GUI: https://www.waves.com/plugins/flow-motion-fm-synth . Perhaps it can be of use for inspiration somehow. It's really looking different from your typical synth.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:41 pm It's a bit quiet in here! What are people doing - actually creating music rather than hang at KVR? :hihi:
Shhhh! I upgraded from Biotek to Biotek2. But don't tell anybody, ok?
Windows 10 and too many plugins

SparkySpark wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:41 pm Anyway, re the discussion on FM lately in this thread: Waves just now released a spooky FM synth with a very odd GUI: https://www.waves.com/plugins/flow-motion-fm-synth . Perhaps it can be of use for inspiration somehow. It's really looking different from your typical synth.
The FM bit of Flow Motion looks like a 4 x 4 FM matrix in which operators can be both carrier and modulator (at the same time). And there's probably some filters some where to accomodate some subtractive synthesis.

Flow Motion sure has a fancy looking GUI, but I guess the before mentioned free and open source Oxe FM can do much of the same. Oxe FM has a 6 operator FM matrix. And 2 filters. And also more then just sines for oscillator/operator shapes.
https://oxesoft.wordpress.com/

And since it's open source, you can adapt the thing to your liking (with some programing skills...). I had a look and it seems not to complicate to add extra waveforms. Or even extra operators (though then you'd need to change the interface too. Because "just" 6 operators can be quite limiting....

I'd love to see flexible feedback routing to....

Kwurqx, Thanks for all your posts, I will be adding some stuff to Fathom's FM soon.

Also, I need a Reaper expert.

One my customers can not scan Fathom in the latest Reaper.
But my Reaper works fine with Fathom.

Is there something special that needs to be done to scan a plugin in Reaper?

FathomSynth wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Reaper found it fine here. Didn't need to do anything special other than install the plugin in my standard VST path: "C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns"

Make sure that the VST path that you use is included in Reaper's scan list, and do a manual re-scan in Reaper preferences if necessary.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

FathomSynth wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:06 pm Is there something special that needs to be done to scan a plugin in Reaper?
No... afaik you cannot influence the scan in any way...
But... if there went something wrong and you want to rescan the plugin you have to delete the entry out of the "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" or you have to choose "Clear cache/re-scan" button from the VST tab in Reapers preferences... otherwise the plugin would be just ignored and not rescanned...

Tbh, the most problems I encountered with scanning in Reaper (which is very reliable) had less to do with Reaper but with lacking Visual C++ redistributables (at least on windows), which weren´t mentioned to be necessary by the developer...
I.e. DDMF plugins always failed to load in my DAWs, unsolved by developer support, untill it turned out by accident they they need some kind of Visual C++ packs, which I hadn´t installed....
Just an idea though...

I guess the only other persons being able to help would be Justin or Schwa as having more testing possibilities....

FathomSynth wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:06 pm Kwurqx, Thanks for all your posts, I will be adding some stuff to Fathom's FM soon.

Also, I need a Reaper expert.

Tell that customer to do a clear cache/rescan
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

I put all 'the good stuff' (Fathom, IK, NI, U-he etc) in

Users\Public\Documents\VstPlugins

If an installer calls for separate data/content type locations,
I choose

Users\Public\Documents

and the actual .dll in

Users\Public\Documents\VstPlugins

From actual Reaper experts, at their forum,
'maybe go into vstplugins.ini and delete that (plugin)entry from it.
You should be able to get to the folder containing that file from

[Options] > select "Show Reaper resource path in Explorer/ Finder".'

Then reinstall the plugin, and restart Reaper for good luck.

Cheers

Return to “Instruments”