ARTURIA ARP 2600V vs Way Out Ware TimewARP 2600 in 2017?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ARP 2600 V3 Arppe2600va TimewARP 2600

ENV1 wrote:So while they are not exactly 'verbose' with regard to info on changes, at least there seems to be an effort going on behind the scenes now which aims to fix at least some of the errors that have plagued their plugins for more than a decade due to total neglect in these areas. How far this will ultimately go of course remains to be seen, as does whether or not they will replace this incredibly wasteful new UI system with something that doesnt require tens of thousands of files in thousands of folders. (Which i personally will never go along with because in my opinion this is where the users just have to say no.)
This new resize method of Arturia works, but it's a total waste of HD. It's not too much for someone who has ah good desktop, but for someone with a small SSD like me (256GB) every GB counts. I hope they can 'fix' this is a near future.

waltercruz wrote:
ENV1 wrote:So while they are not exactly 'verbose' with regard to info on changes, at least there seems to be an effort going on behind the scenes now which aims to fix at least some of the errors that have plagued their plugins for more than a decade due to total neglect in these areas. How far this will ultimately go of course remains to be seen, as does whether or not they will replace this incredibly wasteful new UI system with something that doesnt require tens of thousands of files in thousands of folders. (Which i personally will never go along with because in my opinion this is where the users just have to say no.)
This new resize method of Arturia works, but it's a total waste of HD. It's not too much for someone who has ah good desktop, but for someone with a small SSD like me (256GB) every GB counts. I hope they can 'fix' this is a near future.
What would you guys say to an option on the installer to just install the sizes that we would likely use? This way, we would not be forced to install like ten sizes, when we would most likely just use two or three (at least, that's what happens to me - just use between the 80% to 100%). And if we concluded that more were needed, we would always have the option to reinstall.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:What would you guys say to an option on the installer to just install the sizes that we would likely use? This way, we would not be forced to install like ten sizes, when we would most likely just use two or three (at least, that's what happens to me - just use between the 80% to 100%). And if we concluded that more were needed, we would always have the option to reinstall.
Maybe it's a good idea :)

Did a quick test, 140% and 160% are the resolutions that work for me. Do you work with Arturia fmr?

waltercruz wrote:This new resize method of Arturia works, but it's a total waste of HD.
It really is.

I have tested this some time ago just to see how bad it really is, (and so i know what im talking about when the subject comes up), and the result was that with all of the synthesizers installed, (thats only the 9 synths and none of the other stuff), there were like 250,000 files in like 6,500 folders taking up circa 3 gigabytes of HDD space for an actual data volume of circa 2.5 gigabytes. (I.e. almost half a gigabyte was literally turned into dead space by the overhead caused by the thousands upon thousands of very small files in thousands upon thousands of folders.) And these figures dont include any presets or anything, this was only for the DLLs (which together took circa 150 megabytes) and the resources folders, which took the rest of these 3 gigabytes.

And thats just too darn much no matter how you look at it. Because it could and can be done with a fraction of all of that and still give the desired result, in fact other devs have no problem doing just that. I therefore sincerely hope that they will eventually reconsider this madness and come up with something a little more sane.

I just bought the Timewarp one in the sale but have to say so far it is seriously over rated - buggy as heck and the Arturia one is superior in every way so far.

aMUSEd wrote:I just bought the Timewarp one in the sale but have to say so far it is seriously over rated - buggy as heck and the Arturia one is superior in every way so far.
I agree. Here's some Arturia 2600 arps that I think sound great, all made by me of course. First one in play list.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... ew-presets

waltercruz wrote: Did a quick test, 140% and 160% are the resolutions that work for me. Do you work with Arturia fmr?
No, I don't work for Arturia, but maybe if enough users write them suggesting this workaround (which I believe is not that problematic to implement) they listen to.

EDIT: Hmmm... It seems my solution would not work. I tried to delete the resource folders for the sizes I don't use, and the GUI came up black, so, somehow there are dependencies that force ALL the sizes to be there. Strange...
Last edited by fmr on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

jacqueslacouth wrote:OK, I might be leading with my chin here, but am I the only one here who thinks that the TimewARP sounds like a POS? It's truly awful, thin, abrasive and just generally nasty. I wouldn't give hem 39 cents for this piece of obsolete crap.
aMUSEd wrote:I just bought the Timewarp one in the sale but have to say so far it is seriously over rated - buggy as heck and the Arturia one is superior in every way so far.
I guess it is not just me then.

waltercruz wrote:
This new resize method of Arturia works, but it's a total waste of HD
Just delete the bmp folders for the sizes you dont use, theyre clearly labelled
Amazon: why not use an alternative

jacqueslacouth wrote:
jacqueslacouth wrote:OK, I might be leading with my chin here, but am I the only one here who thinks that the TimewARP sounds like a POS? It's truly awful, thin, abrasive and just generally nasty. I wouldn't give hem 39 cents for this piece of obsolete crap.
All the reviews were pretty negative, its only the kiss ass comments on the product page that give false praise
Amazon: why not use an alternative

fmr wrote:It seems my solution would not work. I tried to delete the resource folders for the sizes I don't use, and the GUI came up black, so, somehow there are dependencies that force ALL the sizes to be there. Strange...
That was one of the first things i tried right when the first V3 demos were out. (I remember posting it in the thread back then too.) Same result of course. The only way this could be made to work would be to edit the XML files so they no longer reference any of the resources you intend to delete. (Which is huge work...i wouldnt want to do it.)

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
jacqueslacouth wrote:
All the reviews were pretty negative, its only the kiss ass comments on the product page that give false praise
Most people are expecting the standard Moog sound. But you don't get that with the TimewARP.

You get a more experimental sound of an ARP. And even in hardware format, they were always described as "thinner" sounding. Less "cool", to the standard rock ear.

For some reason, I prefer the basses and SFX which I have been able to make with TimewARP, over almost any other softsynth. It just sounds immediate, out of the box, like I am actually playing a real old analog synth. It's not the preset itself, but its character.

If you have a listen to youtube vids of people doing various things with the ARP2600, from experimental to more standard melodic stuff, you'll see that TimewARP has the exact same sound. A sound, far, far away from what most synths have become. Most synths have a more Moog sound to them, rounded and warm, whilst the ARP2600 always sounded like something that came from the 1930's.

Not necessarily thin, but, quirky and almost acoustic sounding, less "synthy" sounding. It has a more earthy tone to it. Less impressive, if you don't know what the hell you are doing. In fact, that's the first thing most people come up against, they just don't know how to make sound sound good.

The ARP2600 also has a wider palette than a MiniMoog, so you can do Moog sounds on it, but you can also do so much more.

In the past, every time I tried to use the Arturia synths to do covers of Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene, I'd literally come close to uninstalling all of the Arturia synths. Under that specific context, they made me vomit. They just suddenly sounded like the most childish emulations in existence. I would try and try, and try some more, and I just could not get the damn sound to be as raw and gritty as it is in the albums.

With TimewARP however, I'd nail the sound almost immediately and just move on onto the next thing.

In that little exercise, I've built up an enormous library of Jarre sounds from his albums, where he used the ARP2600 (which is almost everywhere), and even more other sounds, from experimental to typical huge analog basses, quirky leads and analog pads.

It's just that people are so used to the more polished sound of most synthesizers, both hardware and software, that when they try TimewARP, with its extremely raw and untempered character, most people are like: what. the. f^uck. is. this???

I've seen that reaction over and over again.

All that said. I am the first person to admit, that TimewARP was one of the leading analog emulations, prior to uhe's DIVA. After that, the world of emulations, has changed enormously and TimewARP better catch up.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is: a lot of people just don't seem to "get" the synth. And don't seem to like the rawness of the sound. It puts them off for some strange reason. Even if after a while, it becomes the sole drawing attraction.

As to negative reviews, it comes from that ingrained prejudice, that people have. :wink:

HunterKiller wrote:
With TimewARP however, I'd nail the sound almost immediately and just move on onto the next thing.

In that little exercise, I've built up an enormous library of Jarre sounds from his albums, where he used the ARP2600 (which is almost everywhere), and even more other sounds, from experimental to typical huge analog basses, quirky leads and analog pads.
Would you care to share any of those presets? :)

HunterKiller wrote:

The ARP2600 also has a wider palette than a MiniMoog, so you can do Moog sounds on it, but you can also do so much more.

It's just that people are so used to the more polished sound of most synthesizers, both hardware and software, that when they try TimewARP, with its extremely raw and untempered character, most people are like: what. the. f^uck. is. this???

I guess, what I'm trying to say is: a lot of people just don't seem to "get" the synth. And don't seem to like the rawness of the sound. It puts them off for some strange reason. Even if after a while, it becomes the sole drawing attraction.

As to negative reviews, it comes from that ingrained prejudice, that people have. :wink:
I almost bought an ARP2600 secondhand way back but it was just out of my price range - I bought an Axxe though and it was good, great for multitracking on our primitive gear back in the 70s. The ARP sound was completely different to the MOOG (or Roland System100 etc) neither of which I particularly liked at the time. To me the ARP was way more electronic, more of the technology, more extreme, whereas the Moog and Roland were much more polite and mainstream.

I hoped to but the TimewARP during this sale for a bit of nostalgia but unfortunately it will not register properly on my machine. Been through a bit of support with sonivox which has been quite prompt but unfortunately the problem is not solved so I have emailed pluginboutique for a refund

maybe there is a good Odyssey emulation ?

HunterKiller wrote:It's just that people are so used to the more polished sound of most synthesizers, both hardware and software, that when they try TimewARP, with its extremely raw and untempered character, most people are like: what. the. f^uck. is. this???

I've seen that reaction over and over again.

All that said. I am the first person to admit, that TimewARP was one of the leading analog emulations, prior to uhe's DIVA. After that, the world of emulations, has changed enormously and TimewARP better catch up.

I knew Wayoutware knew what they were doing ever since they published raw A/B files of the waveforms vs the hardware 2600. PACE Copy Protection is the main reason I never got it and now under Sonnivox it is C/R (even worse).

10 years later its overdue for a fresh 2.0 GUI, upsampling and remodeled VCF to bring it current with U-he, TAL, XILS, Cytomic and Synapse Legend. The thing about Arturia is there are competent alternatives to most of their weaker emulations that everybody likes complaining about. Arturia's newer synths starting with SEM are pretty good and they made some really smart moves acquiring the Synclavier sourcecode and those Combo Organs.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Instruments”