Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Watchful wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:07 pm But PAK's Netflix analogy is excellent, and finally got me to comment. Netflix is pretty much how Roland is running this, minus the thousands of content items. New ones are being added all the time, but you penalize the early adopters. In fact, it gets more economical the longer you wait.
Content that isn't produced by Netflix is continually being rotated on and off, so it's not entirely true that early adopters are punished (unless you're only watching the Netflix shows, which on balance are the best reason for subscribing).

Also, the "why not wait" argument only works if you look at this from the PoV of a collector, which is itself a bit weird in the context of a software subscription. The point of these things is to use them. If you don't take out a sub, you can't use it. If you don't want to use any of it, why are you even waiting for that supposed better deal?

Gamma-UT wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:35 pmIf you don't want to use any of it, why are you even waiting for that supposed better deal?
Well, that's not what I said. What I said was that I'm interested in two...perhaps three...of them. That's just not compelling enough reason to shell out that kind of money. But as they add new plug ins over time, I might be tempted to subscribe if they become even more interesting. Waiting, for me, is a reasonable strategy.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

yehboy1 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:25 pmAlthough I do think the people against plugin subscriptions don't fully take into account the cost of owing plugins. For example, if a person bought Pro-Q2 a year ago for $180, they would have had to pay another $90 shortly after to upgrade to Pro-Q3 (if they wanted to upgrade). So that's $270 in a year for one EQ, whereas someone with a subscription gets a lot of plugins, and upgrades, for a lower price over that year period. And that's just one EQ plugin. Add in other plugins that are "owned" and the upgrade costs become more.
That's an excellent point.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Watchful wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:41 pm
yehboy1 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:25 pmAlthough I do think the people against plugin subscriptions don't fully take into account the cost of owing plugins. For example, if a person bought Pro-Q2 a year ago for $180, they would have had to pay another $90 shortly after to upgrade to Pro-Q3 (if they wanted to upgrade). So that's $270 in a year for one EQ, whereas someone with a subscription gets a lot of plugins, and upgrades, for a lower price over that year period. And that's just one EQ plugin. Add in other plugins that are "owned" and the upgrade costs become more.
That's an excellent point.
It's yet to be seen whether this applies to the Roland plugins though since they mostly get bug fix updates. I don't expect big feature additions that would make for a V2, V3 etc., since they are more about being authentic emulations with minimal tweaks to take advantage of being software (like an extra envelope, optional chorus noise etc.)

yehboy1 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:25 pm The thing about the Netflix comparison is that it often saves people money because they can cancel cable. So, like $10 a month for Netflix versus $100 for cable. Subscription plans don't offer such an obvious savings.

Although I do think the people against plugin subscriptions don't fully take into account the cost of owing plugins. For example, if a person bought Pro-Q2 a year ago for $180, they would have had to pay another $90 shortly after to upgrade to Pro-Q3 (if they wanted to upgrade). So that's $270 in a year for one EQ, whereas someone with a subscription gets a lot of plugins, and upgrades, for a lower price over that year period. And that's just one EQ plugin. Add in other plugins that are "owned" and the upgrade costs become more.
Except that in 10 years you could still use that Pro-Q3 if you'd want.. or sell it for $100.

Blaster wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:56 pm
yehboy1 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:25 pm The thing about the Netflix comparison is that it often saves people money because they can cancel cable. So, like $10 a month for Netflix versus $100 for cable. Subscription plans don't offer such an obvious savings.

Although I do think the people against plugin subscriptions don't fully take into account the cost of owing plugins. For example, if a person bought Pro-Q2 a year ago for $180, they would have had to pay another $90 shortly after to upgrade to Pro-Q3 (if they wanted to upgrade). So that's $270 in a year for one EQ, whereas someone with a subscription gets a lot of plugins, and upgrades, for a lower price over that year period. And that's just one EQ plugin. Add in other plugins that are "owned" and the upgrade costs become more.
Except that in 10 years you could still use that Pro-Q3 if you'd want.. or sell it for $100.
This is the Roland thread, and I'm still signed up to a plan that lets me keep two instruments per year, and I've already collected the first two. So in theory, even if I cancelled my sub, I can still use at least 2 instruments ten years from now. That's an advantage to having signed up for Roland Cloud when I did, and was a great incentive to sign up. It's a shame they're not continuing it for new subs.

The subscription debate is a bit much IMO. Sometimes it'll work out in the customer's favor (if you spend a lot of money each year from the same company or are new and want a wide variety of plugins), sometimes it won't. Everyone's gotta make a decision about what makes sense for them. I have no idea how the economics of this actually work for the companies, especially considering how much competition there is in this marketplace compared to say Adobe's monopoly on professional photo/design. If the economy were to turn, I could easily see subs being cancelled en masse and revenue drying up, but we'll ultimately see.

They are continuing it for new subs though aren’t they? Just not promotions I think.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:31 am They are continuing it for new subs though aren’t they? Just not promotions I think.
I'm not 100% sure and you should totally ask them directly, but I'm under the impression that they stopped the loyalty program but if you were already in, you're grandfathered in as long as you don't stop.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:31 am They are continuing it for new subs though aren’t they? Just not promotions I think.
Do we have a confirmation for that?
Might also differ by country/region :/

joe_b wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:37 am
Do we have a confirmation for that?
Might also differ by country/region :/
Didn't someone post an email from Roland a few pages back?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 pm In case others like me were wondering, I got a definitive answer from Roland Cloud support about the status of the YOURS programme that let you keep one plugin per year of subscription. It's dead, Dave.
Me: Hi, I am interested in the Summer discount offers and planning to subscribe for 2 more years, but someone on a forum said you are discontinuing the 'yours' rewards programme. Is this true or would I expect to 'own' 2 of the Roland VSTs in perpetuity after a further 2 year subscription expired? Regards, WtG

Roland reply: Hi WtG,

Sorry, the YOURS program is no longer offered to new subscribers.

Regards,
Travis
It's only available for users who are grandfathered in, haven't cancelled, and pay the full, monthly, non-promotion price for the sub.

If it's the difference between your signing up or not and you're not sure, email them directly. I did, and was told I'm still in the loyalty program as long as I don't change anything about my sub.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:28 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 pm In case others like me were wondering, I got a definitive answer from Roland Cloud support about the status of the YOURS programme that let you keep one plugin per year of subscription. It's dead, Dave.
Me: Hi, I am interested in the Summer discount offers and planning to subscribe for 2 more years, but someone on a forum said you are discontinuing the 'yours' rewards programme. Is this true or would I expect to 'own' 2 of the Roland VSTs in perpetuity after a further 2 year subscription expired? Regards, WtG

Roland reply: Hi WtG,

Sorry, the YOURS program is no longer offered to new subscribers.

Regards,
Travis
It's only available for users who are grandfathered in, haven't cancelled, and pay the full, monthly, non-promotion price for the sub.

If it's the difference between your signing up or not and you're not sure, email them directly. I did, and was told I'm still in the loyalty program as long as I don't change anything about my sub.
This is indeed a dealbreaker for me. I was seriously thinking about subscribing. Goodbye Roland, then.

joe_b wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:29 pm This is indeed a dealbreaker for me. I was seriously thinking about subscribing. Goodbye Roland, then.
Yeah, it's a bummer. I totally would NOT be subscribed if not for the loyalty program, and if they canceled it on me, I'd cancel my subscription. Getting two perpetual licenses per year is a great benefit to a subscription program like this and takes the sting out of renting software.

I'd suggest you email them anyway to let them know that their elimination of the YOURS loyalty program is a deal-breaker for you and the reason you won't be subscribing. I don't expect they'll make an exception or anything, but I think that's feedback they should be hearing directly from people.

A question to perpetual license owners: does the license require a permanent internet connection?

Weird that we get so many different answers regarding the loyalty program.
When i asked late in June before my 1 Year subscription was out i got the message that the loyalty program was under review so i didn't continue.

When i did re enable my subscription a week later my Account was set to standard subscription and before that it it said premium.

I also kept the mail when i got the 2-4 life e-mail from them and this is a breach of contract if i don't get 2 more after i have payed for 12 more months.

Mail:
Are you currently enrolled in a monthly/annual program and have paid for 12 months or more? You get TWO instruments even if you choose not to renew your monthly/annual subscription at a later date.

Are you currently enrolled in a monthly program? You’ll also get TWO instruments when you complete your 12 months, even if you choose not to renew your monthly subscription at that time.

Are you still early on in your monthly subscription? You can upgrade to the special annual plan and select TWO instruments. Even better, we will credit your paid months** on top of your annual plan for making the switch.

You'll earn two instruments for every twelve months of paid subscription up to a maximum of ten instruments. If you have any questions about the PLAY 2–4 LIFE promotion or the status of your subscription, don't hesitate to email: customer-service@rolandvirtualsonics.com.

Return to “Instruments”