Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Well, if the YOURS program every becomes active for new subscribers I’ll jump on the wagon.

Ok so if we renew for another year once our year is up then we get another 2 licenses permanently in addition to the 2 we received for our first year? I have to admit I'm not sure as this Roland Cloud group seems pretty shady but I do really like the actual plugins.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:47 pm Ok so if we renew for another year once our year is up then we get another 2 licenses permanently in addition to the 2 we received for our first year? I have to admit I'm not sure as this Roland Cloud group seems pretty shady but I do really like the actual plugins.
You'd be best off emailing them directly for an answer on that, but the 2 licenses per year was a particular deal at the time. I subscribed to a deal a month earlier than that was available so my reward for not signing up later was one fewer plugins per year. Yay!
Just be aware that the 'standard' YOURS deal was one plugin per year, not two.
There's a real sense of them making this up as they go along so who knows, email them, maybe you'll get three, but in the words of Duncan Bannatyne "I'm oot!".

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I believe when I signed up the YOURS program was only one instrument per year, but I still got two that first year after they changed it. At least, that's how I remember things. Anyway, I emailed Roland Cloud yesterday to ask them to clarify my situation regarding perpetual licenses and the response was that as long as I continue to subscribe at a non-discounted rate (i.e. don't change anything), I'll continue to get 2 free instruments for each year of the sub up to a maximum of 10 instruments. So, as long as that remains the case, I'll remain subscribed. If they ever cut that, I'll cut the sub. For me, the value-add to the Roland Cloud is the perpetual licenses versus any other subscription, is the perpetual licenses. I wouldn't be signed up otherwise.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:01 pm I believe when I signed up the YOURS program was only one instrument per year, but I still got two that first year after they changed it. At least, that's how I remember things. Anyway, I emailed Roland Cloud yesterday to ask them to clarify my situation regarding perpetual licenses and the response was that as long as I continue to subscribe at a non-discounted rate (i.e. don't change anything), I'll continue to get 2 free instruments for each year of the sub up to a maximum of 10 instruments. So, as long as that remains the case, I'll remain subscribed. If they ever cut that, I'll cut the sub. For me, the value-add to the Roland Cloud is the perpetual licenses versus any other subscription, is the perpetual licenses. I wouldn't be signed up otherwise.
Ok good, that was my understanding as well. They had clarified to someone by email that the 2 permanent licenses was remaining and wasn't a limited time special.

PatchAdamz wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:46 pm
commodore wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:45 pm Still waiting for the JP8000/JP8080 vst. :ud:
Its bound to happen....
haha, I hope so!
Elektronisch wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:05 pm System 8 is your answer. At least from my limited expierience with real JP8000 and 8080 and System 8 plugin, Plugin S8 is better then real JP.
Thanks! I'll check it out!

commodore wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:45 pm Still waiting for the JP8000/JP8080 vst. :ud:
Me too... their best sounding digital synth, and they just don't add it to the Roland Cloud plugins.

My guess is that next up will be the TR-606 (a TR-8S would be amazing) and VP-03. Just figuring they'll stick to things they've already got in code-form. Maybe we'll even see something on August 8th for 808 day.

I've got a month before my sub expires and I was looking through the synths last night thinking which one I want to keep (with a backup in case I do get 2 to keep although originally when I signed you only got 1 per year).
I realised I've got most of the synths either covered to an extent by other VSTs or are ones I won't use like the old ROMplers, but I think I may end up plumping for the System 100 which surprised me as I haven't used it much up until now. It seems to have a lot more character than others.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Question : who is actually making the software synths ? Is it Roland (from Japan) or Roland Virtual Sonics (US) aka Roland Cloud ?

I was browsing roland.com and I didn't see anything related to Roland Cloud. On top of that the product page doesn't mention any of the software synths. Or at least only the "plug-outs" for the System-1 HW are presented but you really have to go out of your way to find them since it's buried in the "Apps" page... Same with the content store, it's a tiny link at the bottom of the main page.

sinemotor wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:47 pm Question : who is actually making the software synths ? Is it Roland (from Japan) or Roland Virtual Sonics (US) aka Roland Cloud ?

I was browsing roland.com and I didn't see anything related to Roland Cloud. On top of that the product page doesn't mention any of the software synths. Or at least only the "plug-outs" for the System-1 HW are presented but you really have to go out of your way to find them since it's buried in the "Apps" page... Same with the content store, it's a tiny link at the bottom of the main page.
Define "making."

It's hard to say without knowing what goes on behind the scenes, but my thinking is Roland coded the DSP for the boutiques and AIRA line (all that ACB stuff) and did that in-house. Is it possible Roland contracts out their DSP work? I wouldn't 100% say no, but I'd like to think they have in-house people for that.

Then at some point, Roland began selling the original VST's that are still on the Content Store. Did Roland turn some of their existing DSP-based products into VST's or contract out that work? Here, I'd guess the latter and that the VST-ports had been contracted out since day one. Is it possible Roland Japan developed them? It's possible, but I suspect it was done by Virtual Sonics under contract for Roland. There wasn't a big shift in the branding or design when Virtual Sonics took over the plugins, and they've kept the aesthetics the same, so this tells me they developed the framework.

So where does that leave us now? Well, the TR-808/909/303 have been released since the Roland Cloud takeover, D-50/JV-1080/etc. Not to mention various updates across the board (including making resizing work without being blurry). This tells me that Virtual Sonics is developing the plug-ins now, based on Roland ACB/DSP (303/808/909 - which would've been coded for the TR-8S), DCB (based on the D-50 boutique) and maybe even some legacy digital code (possibility for the JV series). I reported an issue with the System-8 Plug-Out no longer acting as a librarian and Roland Cloud (Virtual Sonics) wrote back to say the developers are aware and working on it. This indicates to me not much has changed other than how the plugins are marketed, supported, and distributed.

So if I had to guess, Roland engineers handle the DSP, and Virtual Sonics take that and develop plugins. I could be wrong, of course. That's all speculation. But it's not like Roland/Virtual Sonics will come out and tell us what's happening behind the scenes.

As far as I can see, Roland develop the plugins (they were already doing that before the Cloud service was a thing), and the "Roland Cloud" business, a venture between Roland and Virtual Sonics, operate the cloud subscription service, run the servers etc, and presumably have some say in the product lineup choices.

I think Virtual Sonics also develop the distinctly un-Roland Anthology samploid plugins - the plugins with "deep-sampled" Roland products, or at least co-develop them - basically, it looks to me like the Concerto plugin, which is very different in feel to any of the actual Roland plugins, likely because it's a different development team and environment, is developed by the Virtual Sonics team.

Edit: Note that the copyright strings in the resources in the modelled plugins and the SRX plugs etc say "Copyright Roland Corporation", not "Roland Cloud" or whatever, and the similar strings in Concerto say "Roland Virtual Sonics".

Just got email: $5 a month for the TR-808 only. Or $50 for the year.

yehboy1 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:09 pm Just got email: $5 a month for the TR-808 only. Or $50 for the year.
Odd, maybe they are going a la carte.

$5 a month for renting just one plugin isn't exactly a great deal.

Return to “Instruments”