SoundMorph: Dust, granular flow motion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Daags wrote:SoundMorph have a much better marketing team/guy than they do coding. imo.
Thanks for the additional warning.

Just bought Dust. Seems to work fine here. Only gripe is that it doesn't remember the sample folder each time you want to load a new sample. Had to create a shortcut from "my documents".

crazy noises from this thing. Quite extraordinary once you use your own samples and get into the sequencer/custom LFOs etc

wickfut wrote:Just bought Dust. Seems to work fine here. Only gripe is that it doesn't remember the sample folder each time you want to load a new sample. Had to create a shortcut from "my documents".

crazy noises from this thing. Quite extraordinary once you use your own samples and get into the sequencer/custom LFOs etc
Quite a new and refreshing opinion. Are you sure they don't pay you for saying this? :hihi: ...kidding of course.

interested to know how it differs (or is the same) to other granular generators, like Granite by New Sonic Arts or The Mangle by Sound Guru for example...
understood that Dust uses what they call "flow field" equations to move grains in the stereo space (grains emitted by the "emitters"), but does the end result sound that much different from other tools already out there?
[edit] well apparently, from reading the manual, you can assign other sound parameters to the grains' properties in the X/Y grid as well, and also there are the "effectors" which interact with the particle motion, so seems like it has potential, maybe somewhat similar to CrusherX Studio ?

In any case I wouldn't get it without a demo to try it out anyway... unless it got rave reviews which I haven't seen just yet.

They bungled the release no doubt, but the plugin still has a lot going for it and it's reasonably priced, certainly with the discount code. :shrug:

I for one absolutely love the modulation options, the built convolver and the formula based 'force field'. If you can't get some interesting sounds out of that I don't know.

I really just want a working FX version for Logic from this.
For using samples/wav i find still borderlands granular (iOS) the most interesting thing but i want to play my AU's or sample libraries trough an FX version of Dust.
I hope they deliver....

Numanoid wrote:
As they don't offer demos, it is difficult to get real impressions of the gear without having to buy it.

Well, the strange thing is that when you buy it, you do get a demo version. Which you have to unlock with your serial number. Which doesn't work in my case, the nag screen stays and although it says unlocked, the plugin stays in demo mode (haven't heard back from support yet).

Maybe they didn't have time to publicly release the demo yet. Also, in my case at least, the demo doesn't even seem to be ready for prime time. But still, that's what you receive when you buy the plugin.

Stupid me, I should have waited. But I just love granular/sample mangling stuff.

Off to find a good GAS clinic...

RichN wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
As they don't offer demos, it is difficult to get real impressions of the gear without having to buy it.

Well, the strange thing is that when you buy it, you do get a demo version. Which you have to unlock with your serial number. Which doesn't work in my case, the nag screen stays and although it says unlocked, the plugin stays in demo mode (haven't heard back from support yet).

Maybe they didn't have time to publicly release the demo yet. Also, in my case at least, the demo doesn't even seem to be ready for prime time. But still, that's what you receive when you buy the plugin.

Stupid me, I should have waited. But I just love granular/sample mangling stuff.

Off to find a good GAS clinic...
how you like the sound, the handling and results?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Just a quick headsup. Timeflux on the same page isn't a VST, it's a stand alone application. Just found out the hard way that it's useless to me.

I'm not affiliated with SoundMorph - I just mention this before. Over the last years I bought all of the sofware offerings as I'm heavily relying on my own sound design for client work and musical art work. They can be a lot said about their bloated graphics etc. Sometimes the first releases are quite buggy. But ... I always get very interesting results out of their software - loading my own samples of course.
I just got Dust and it works here in Cubase Pro 8.5 on OSX 10.11.6. VST Preset system remembers my samples and IRs and their locations. It is to early to have a verdict on Dust - just got it yesterday. This stuff is really meant as a sound design environment and I welcome they go the plug in route now.

synzh wrote: Dust uses what they call "flow field" equations
A flow field is just a pathing algorithm. Assign a cost
value to each section of a grid based on height or whatever,
then calculate the path with the least cost between two points.

This way you can navigate around objects implicitly (and continuously
actually). Its really quite clever. Works great in video games.

-Cheers :borg:

Caine123 wrote:
how you like the sound, the handling and results?
I really couldn't tell, as I've spent almost all of my time with Dust so far to get it to unlock properly (reloading, re-installing, rebooting, checking permissions, trying to find a config file in my system where I might possibly be able to add the serial number manually, etc...).

I quickly tried a couple of presets in demo mode and they gave me the impression that you can do interesting things with Dust. But then I started running into presets that didn't emit any sound at all (except for the regular white noise demo whoosh) and decided to leave it alone for the time being.

I think I will like this plugin as soon as I can get it to work properly. Should be interesting with your own samples.

O.K. i had a longer play within Bitwig (8-track) and tryed all included patches, played a bit with modulations and stuff.
I really like it. There are some great things included f.e.like modulation of the pitch via sequencer. And you also have a choice of many scales here.
This thing can do some awesome stuff for sure.
Great for drones, ambient and sci-fi darkness!
I love it really so far. I had also no crash or other problems in instrument mode.
I just realized i have to let the playhead run to make it work (like Kaleidoscope).
I think the FX version will make me really very happy!

RichN wrote: But then I started running into presets that didn't emit any sound at all (except for the regular white noise demo whoosh) and decided to leave it alone for the time being.
you need to sync it to your sequencer and hit the play button. the silent sounds are small sequences that need the midi clock to run.

wickfut wrote:
you need to sync it to your sequencer and hit the play button. the silent sounds are small sequences that need the midi clock to run.
Ah, thanks, should have checked that. Like Kaleidoscope indeed. My frustration got in the way I guess.

Still, I'm going to wait until this registering issue has been solved, because the demo white noise annoys the hell out of me.

Return to “Instruments”