Vengeance Producer Suite - AVENGER - 1.8.5 the main thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VPS Avenger

Wouldn't it be more elegant/practical if we could do it per step, with a curve or even a bipolar "Tension" knob like BreakTweaker? (see video below)

Imagine the potential to easily achieve such cool sonic possibilities. When you think about it, the drum sequencer can also benefit from this approach for another repeat mode.

So many users are holding on to BT for this one capability, despite its many shortcomings and heavy CPU load.

If you have a little time, I'd invite you to check out this BT video to see/hear what I mean. Especially the Micro Editor at 2:50

https://youtu.be/ErVxMz5tVek

Thank you for considering this.

The Micro Editor of BT was a killer Feature, it was very Pity that they had not enabled the microeditor via midi.

Ghislain2b wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:21 am Feature request : Manuel, please can you add on arpeggiator and sequencers an option to get the new played note on the next beat or the next measure. :pray:
Up. :wink:

I am not sure I understand that with the Arp note

MrM777 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:36 am I was wondering if you can add an exponential speed behavior to the ENV+SEQ+MOD mode in the wavetable editor.
Are you aware of the Steps knob? Can help in some cases, I will detail in a future post why not quite similar with BreakTweaker.

msvs wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:56 pm I am not sure I understand that with the Arp note
They want Avenger to receive beat position from daw and sync the arp with it so if someone presses a key too early, the arp will only start at set division offset and will not be out of sync. Problem is, due to daw latency we rather press too late so you'd have to think a "pick-up feature" to sync late key press too.

msvs wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:07 pm
I was wondering if you can add an exponential speed behavior to the ENV+SEQ+MOD mode in the wavetable editor. Something that allows us to create a nonlinear rate of repeat for the envelope instances, maybe even control it with a curve.
I think you can already do that with Avengers mighty Mod Matrix.
use a Mod Envelope on the Speed Parameter. You can bend it in whatever direction
That function in BTweaker resembles more the Flam option in Drum Sequencer (it also retriggers the note, while the retriggers themselves are spread in an exponetial matter). Avenger (and lots of synts for that matter) lack any type of retrigger except the Arp.

On this note, a modulation source that could be really interesting, would be a new one - something like TRIG ENV, able to be placed after or before the Arp in the hierarchy (both placements can generate interesting results) - made similar with Wavetable's ENV+SQ+MOD but also added the option to retrigger the pressed note on each repeat division of each step according with the set number of repeats. This way you can retrigger plucks, vox cuts, not only sustained notes as is now the case with looping modenvs or step sequencer.

Aditionally, one could implement selective note retriggering - for example by default all retriggers are ON (let's say divisions are colored white from a GUI approach point of view) and double-clicking any division inside a step will cycle through "note retrigger" to "note hold" and "note off" to (different colors for different states).
Last edited by sircuit on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- double -

you could have playing the ARP 1 note, then use the ARP SPEED parameter in the Mod Matrix, which in the end can again be modulated via the Mod Env... the ARP SPEED parameter gets REALLY fast

msvs wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:22 pm you could have playing the ARP 1 note, then use the ARP SPEED parameter in the Mod Matrix, which in the end can again be modulated via the Mod Env... the ARP SPEED parameter gets REALLY fast
No sound, but if you look at the arp values and the visual arp speed you'll notice that there's absolutely no correlation when parameters change. It's impossible to use the arp to sequence.

At least on mac: https://imgur.com/VqjtBJ8 (if the video is not playing, just seek the cursor at 00:01 and will start playing)
Last edited by sircuit on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes this is close to my request. Essentially a new modulation envelope class, which is an independent clone of the ENV+SEQ+MOD mode with exponential speed behavior.

As a first step you can add exponential speed function inside the steps of the ENV+SEQ+MOD wavetable envelope. Right now the repeats are linear. I don't think it's going to be a challenge for this talented team to add a curve, slider or knob to control repeat tension per step.

After that you can add a fully independent mod envelope class, which clones that behavior and offers the ability to load several instances which are not tied to the wavetable mode.

The flam mode is nice but it would be even more powerful with precision control like the Micro Editor in BT.

Again Manuel, please watch the 5 min BT video to hear the potential of this functionality. It will be much greater with Avenger and your team's new take on it of course.
sircuit wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:59 pm
msvs wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:07 pm
I was wondering if you can add an exponential speed behavior to the ENV+SEQ+MOD mode in the wavetable editor. Something that allows us to create a nonlinear rate of repeat for the envelope instances, maybe even control it with a curve.
I think you can already do that with Avengers mighty Mod Matrix.
use a Mod Envelope on the Speed Parameter. You can bend it in whatever direction
That function in BTweaker resembles more the Flam option in Drum Sequencer (it also retriggers the note, while the retriggers themselves are spread in an exponetial matter). Avenger (and lots of synts for that matter) lack any type of retrigger except the Arp.

On this note, a modulation source that could be really interesting, would be a new one - something like TRIG ENV, able to be placed after or before the Arp in the hierarchy (both placements can generate interesting results) - made similar with Wavetable's ENV+SQ+MOD but also added the option to retrigger the pressed note on each repeat division of each step according with the set number of repeats. This way you can retrigger plucks, vox cuts, not only sustained notes as is now the case with looping modenvs or step sequencer.

Aditionally, one could implement selective note retriggering - for example by default all retriggers are ON (let's say divisions are colored white from a GUI approach point of view) and double-clicking any division inside a step will cycle through "note retrigger" to "note hold" and "note off" to (different colors for different states).

sircuit wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:53 pm
msvs wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:56 pm I am not sure I understand that with the Arp note
They want Avenger to receive beat position from daw and sync the arp with it so if someone presses a key too early, the arp will only start at set division offset and will not be out of sync. Problem is, due to daw latency we rather press too late so you'd have to think a "pick-up feature" to sync late key press too.
Yes that's it ! :wink:

At least on mac: https://imgur.com/VqjtBJ8 (if the video is not playing, just seek the cursor at 00:01 and will start playing)
as target you should select "ARP Speed Stepless" in the modmatrix not "ARP Speed"
The Cursor in the Arp should move with the Tempo, at least it does it here :?:

msvs wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:43 am "ARP Speed Stepless" in the modmatrix not "ARP Speed"
Yes, that works as expected. Still, I wouldn't say that what MrM777 asked can be completely (and more important, easily) made with existing modulation sources.

1.40 online

Return to “Instruments”