Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Multiphonics CV-2 Reaktor Softube Modular

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:18 pm
TehOwen wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:10 pm I don't have access to my computer atm to check, but if I remember right the cable from the daw sync should go to the LFO's CV in rather than reset (then turn the CV knob up).

The reset in triggers the lfo from its start point (e.g. the start of a saw wave lfo) rather than setting the frequency.
Thanks. In the meantime I have been watching a few videos and as you say the reset is used for LFO retriggering. However, if I patch the DAW sync into CV it literally does nothing. I can adjust the CV dial all I want and it has no effect.
I don't know softube's modular...
but the LFO's I have in euro.. I patch a gate/clock into the "rate/tune/cv" input...
have a look for a kinda clock module that will take DAW timing/sync and pass it to the LFO.. :shrug:

toonertik wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:30 pm I don't know softube's modular...
but the LFO's I have in euro.. I patch a gate/clock into the "rate/tune/cv" input...
have a look for a kinda clock module that will take DAW timing/sync and pass it to the LFO.. :shrug:
But that's what I'm doing :shrug: DAW Sync module into the LFO CV Input.

Confusingly the CV knob does nothing and the speed is still 100% driven by the Frequency knob which in no way correlates to the DAW tempo.

Come to think of it where is my LFO depth? Is this what I'm missing perhaps?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Not at my computer but it should be gate into reset iirc.

I think I might have mislead you, as I am wrong...
this only really works with my "clockable" LFO (an LFO in Disting)
see if they have a clockable LFO or similar.

In my few months of real modular, it is not normally the unit that has "depth" on the out put.. but rather an input attenuator on the receiving device.. or if no input attenuator, then patch one into the circuit.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:18 pmThanks. In the meantime I have been watching a few videos and as you say the reset is used for LFO retriggering. However, if I patch the DAW sync into CV it literally does nothing. I can adjust the CV dial all I want and it has no effect.
I've just tried this out in Reaper (LFO freq knob set to default, DAW sync in to CV, CV knob all the way up).

The LFO only receives sync information when I press play on the Reaper timeline - and then it syncs to the host just fine. When Reaper playback is stopped it then stops syncing. I'd somehow never noticed that behaviour before!

(Edit: though I'm getting weird behaviour on anything other than the 1/8 output from DAW sync. I'm going to stop trying to help until I figure out where I'm getting confused myself :lol:)

Owen_E wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:50 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:18 pmThanks. In the meantime I have been watching a few videos and as you say the reset is used for LFO retriggering. However, if I patch the DAW sync into CV it literally does nothing. I can adjust the CV dial all I want and it has no effect.
I've just tried this out in Reaper (LFO freq knob set to default, DAW sync in to CV, CV knob all the way up).
Thanks. Got it working too.

Owen_E wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:50 pm (Edit: though I'm getting weird behaviour on anything other than the 1/8 output from DAW sync. I'm going to stop trying to help until I figure out where I'm getting confused myself :lol:)
Yes, exactly. Trying a 1/16th LFO at 140 causes it to have a complete breakdown. And even when it does work only seems to sound like a 1/8th.

toonertik wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:45 pm I think I might have mislead you, as I am wrong...
this only really works with my "clockable" LFO (an LFO in Disting)
see if they have a clockable LFO or similar.

In my few months of real modular, it is not normally the unit that has "depth" on the out put.. but rather an input attenuator on the receiving device.. or if no input attenuator, then patch one into the circuit.
Nope, no such luck I'm afraid. The Doepfer A-147 VCLFO is my lot.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 pm
The A-147 VC LFO is not syncable to a clock signal, with CV input you can modulate the speed (frequency).

If you want a clockable LFO, you need the 4ms PEG....

Rastkovic wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:08 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 pm
The A-147 VC LFO is not syncable to a clock signal, with CV input you can modulate the speed (frequency).

If you want a clockable LFO, you need the 4ms PEG....
Bingo :hail:

Thank-you, Sir.

Toonertik, you were right but who knew something called a Pingable Envelope Generator was an LFO :help: :hihi:

Thanks everybody for your help :D

BTW, Modular really needs a scope. I know I can look at another VST but that kinda defeats the modular point.
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:36 pm Next question: how can I toggle, via DAW automation, the Freeze button in Clouds? It doesn't appear as an option in the automation fields so I then thought about assigning a Performance Switch to it. Nope, that isn't allowable either.
Now if I could just resolve this one I’ll be a happy camper.

:tu:

actually as I was eating my meal, I got to think about how I do this...
I often used AD envelopes...
so it's called PINGable...

watchout for your ping Mushy... ;)

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:24 pm Thanks everybody for your help :D

BTW, Modular really needs a scope. I know I can look add another VST but that kinda defeats the modular point.
the other thing I was thinking while eating...

get a copy of VCV... even just the fundamental modules.. it includes a scope...

see how your friendly volts work and flow

I got my self an £20 cheapo to help me see these volts and pulses in my modular....
so good when I mix CVs from different sources... in my world Essential.

I do have VCV and made a few ok things with it but really missed DAW integration. However that’s no longer the story so maybe need to revisit it.

With Softube Modular, does anybody know how to control the pitch of the heartbeat 808ish drum module (called kick)? Note cv into the pitch input of the module doesn’t snap to scale, so to traverse an octave in Modular requires traversing something like 8 octaves on a keyboard.

Return to “Instruments”