Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Multiphonics CV-2 Reaktor Softube Modular

There's one other thing to consider. IMO (and I stress IMO) you can't compare this new module to the 259e. The 259e is a monster of a sound generator. What you can do with it is off the charts amazing. This new module is essentially a filter. I already have the other resonator Softube licensed that cost me all of like 23 bucks. I can't see spending this kind of money on what this module offers.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:43 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:35 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:15 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:15 pm buchla aint licencing cheap ;)
The other Buchla modules were no where near this much on sale.
module, singular. before now there was only the 259e, which at $99 RRP is closer to the price of this than it is to any of the other modules.
Well, when I got it from JRR Shop it was only $79. If it's $99 now I wasn't aware of it. FTR, if I had to pay $99 for the 259e then, I wouldn't have gotten it. When single modules are more than the whole base system, IMO, that's a problem.
And the new one cost me $83 from JRR Shop.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:50 pm
module, singular. before now there was only the 259e, which at $99 RRP is closer to the price of this than it is to any of the other modules.
Well, when I got it from JRR Shop it was only $79. If it's $99 now I wasn't aware of it. FTR, if I had to pay $99 for the 259e then, I wouldn't have gotten it. When single modules are more than the whole base system, IMO, that's a problem.
Which is better, but still, you're comparing this module to a 259e which does like a gazillion times more things.

I just don't see the comparison.

I made the mistake of demoing this. Super nice drone machine. It’s pricey tho, thats what caught my eye first. I’ve ended up buying every module so far and really enjoying them, but need to evaluate this properly first.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:51 pm
deastman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:50 pm
Which is better, but still, you're comparing this module to a 259e which does like a gazillion times more things.

I just don't see the comparison.
The comparison is obvious... the price is almost the same, and they are both Buchla emulations. But I agree that it isn’t priced appropriately when compared to the overall package, the price of previous individual modules, and the competitive pricing of other similar platforms.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

it ís a pricy module, and thought i let it go. and yes, of course i bought it via jrrshop, and i am in the eurozone, so it feels cheaper...

i thought it isn't a module that get's you going, but it géts you going. already made a very strange drone. the envelopes out work perfect! and feedback them to two buchla's 259e, one patched odd another even. it makes great drones possible. and other "strange" stuff. i lost the patch, while sampling it in maschine, and slicing it. it doesn't matter. nice samples to play with. (i use the soft modular most of the times as a basis for samples, but i also have a track that is based on two softube modular's in cubase, with a little addition of a kick and tom of 808 samples and a polysix and... vocals...)
and while writing, there comes a load of presets, just by tweaking, or patching envelopes out to cv in's of the buchla, the use of lfo's, the slew utility. unexpected results.

fooling around, an oscilliscope on second screen. i it looks like i am know what i am doing, and yes... (still no expert, but i understand the basics and more..). but as always you want to achieve something, and while you take steps, the steps themselves are also very interesting, to preserve.

Not sure if that's a valid argument when it comes to software. Do they pay a sum per instance sold? In that case you may have a point. Or do they pay one fixed sum? -- in which case you don't have a point. And even then... given the competition in the software modular arena, one would expect at least a somewhat more generous introductory price. This is all the more true if you consider the amount of money many customers have already invested in Modular. I don't say I'm p*ssed off, but I am p*ssed off a bit. :roll:
Mac, Logic, some synths, software, stuff and unstuff, with and without knobs

This will be the first one I won't buy I think. I have two variants on it in VCV and they don't get much use (that's probably my problem, rather than the module). Hard to justify it really.

lnikj wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:38 pm This will be the first one I won't buy I think. I have two variants on it in VCV and they don't get much use (that's probably my problem, rather than the module). Hard to justify it really.
Which VCV modules would that be? Curious to know...
Mac, Logic, some synths, software, stuff and unstuff, with and without knobs

chaosmeister wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:31 am
lnikj wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:38 pm This will be the first one I won't buy I think. I have two variants on it in VCV and they don't get much use (that's probably my problem, rather than the module). Hard to justify it really.
I know there's VCV's own one (Spectra?)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:20 am
chaosmeister wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:31 am
I know there's VCV's own one (Spectra?)
Yes, Spectra, and Hora Music's Spectral Processor:

http://www.hora-music.be/sound-processors.php

That one is actually closer in matching the functionality of the 296e.

As a software developer of over 40 years experience, I find that people don't always understand the cost of creating software. With the Buchla 296e there is a massive complexity in how all the different parameters interact, meaning that testing that it interacts like a real Buchla 296e is potentially a massive undertaking. Since it is an 'official' Buchla 'emulation', and NOT a 'tribute' or 'inspired by', the cost may very easily be justified. Also, if we want more unusual or esoteric modules to be provided for Softube Modular, that would probably NOT happen, unless there is a reasonable likelyhood the developer would at least break even. :roll:

See https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=169880 as a guide to the power and complexity on offer! :D :tu:

As a quick part 2... ...I was definite that I wouldn't give in to temptation because of the price. :?

But having researched and imagined how it could be used, I will get it after my next credit card statement. :dog:

crackershaun wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:23 pm As a software developer of over 40 years experience, I find that people don't always understand the cost of creating software. With the Buchla 296e there is a massive complexity in how all the different parameters interact, meaning that testing that it interacts like a real Buchla 296e is potentially a massive undertaking. Since it is an 'official' Buchla 'emulation', and NOT a 'tribute' or 'inspired by', the cost may very easily be justified. Also, if we want more unusual or esoteric modules to be provided for Softube Modular, that would probably NOT happen, unless there is a reasonable likelyhood the developer would at least break even. :roll:

See https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=169880 as a guide to the power and complexity on offer! :D :tu:
that where the video's, and the short softube series, that finally pushed me over, to see what can be done with, as mentioned in a earlier reply to this thread (what i have done, not the video's).

because of the video's, and the manual.. i was prepared, and yes, it is a great module, to fool around with, that is the thing you do first, and it delivered already usuable patches, drone patches, with only a few modules, 2 x buchla 259e, 2 lfo's, slew utility, feedback from the envelopes to ceveral cv's of the buchla's... the first steps, with the video's as a ladder to get a first grip on the module.

and as state of the art multi-band envelope follower.... that will be also a thing i will try out, but first fun with the possibilities. i only scratch the surface, not strange if you own it 2 days..

Another link showing the complexity of the real thing...

https://modularsynthesis.com/roman/buchla296/296psp.htm

Maybe in a few years time, Softube, after development costs have been recovered, will start 'sales' like Waves do, with prices of everything going up and down like 'a X on a Y' (add your own images here). :roll:

Return to “Instruments”