Phonec 2 has been released! (Updated to v2.4)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phonec The Sound Experience Soundbank

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:
Robmobius wrote:Do you just download the demo version? I didn't get any email mentioning the upgrade I just saw it here.

Ta'.
Just sent you a PM
Thanks for that mate! :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Endor-8o8 wrote:
Endor-8o8 wrote:
Endor-8o8 wrote:I'd like to be able to automate the Pitchwheel too. It's the only automation I miss on Dubtron and Dubtron2 and Phonec, don't know why it's not possible.
Adding this to my feature request list...
No sign of this feature in the update mail. Will it be possible to automate the pitch wheel or is it still impissible ?
I did look into this using Ableton and had no problems recording pitch wheel automation. Sorry I forgot to report back. What host are you using where you're not able to do this?
I'd like to draw automation in the automation lane in Live 9 but it seems not possible. Same with Dubtron2, seems impossible to automate pitchwheel via automation lane.
If you want to draw it manually, here's how to do it:

Create a clip.
Open it up and go into the bottom left corner to click the little E (Envelopes).
Now to the right, an Envelopes box will appear.
Click on the first dropdown and select 'MIDI Ctrl'.
Then in the dropdown below that, select 'Pitch Bend'.
You can now draw the automation manually.
If you record it with a controller, the automation will appear here as well.
Completely forgot about checking the envelopes section of the clip... :dog:
Thanks Jack ! :)
Last edited by Endor-8o8 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

egbert101 wrote:New features and new price tag of $69 (+$10). :hihi: Worth it? Probably, but budget buyers like me are less likely to dip into Phonec 2 in future, unless there is a sale.
:dog:

Just dropping a thank you in here for Jack's ultra-quick support when I didn't get a download link. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__LNVGxmdzQ
Phonec has been updated to v2.4, which adds support for MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression). This allows Phonec to become a multi-dimensional expressive instrument when used with MPE keyboards like the Roli SeaBoard and the Linnstrument. This update also brings several new features and fixes.

What's new:
  • MPE support
  • New Vox + Funk waveforms
  • Creamy New Filter
  • New Filter Melt option
  • New Noise Crusher
  • Better sync between Arp + Seq
  • Preset + Bank options now separated; easier to access
  • Preset sub folders now supported
  • Newly designed template presets included
  • Added Contour shapes for Mod Envelopes
  • Added HFO Rate to Aftertouch/Modwheel
  • Tooltip popup improvements
  • Windows 10 compatibility fix

More info here:
    https://www.psychicmodulation.com/phonec.html

*This is a free update to registered users. To get the update, just access your user account via the 'account' tab at psychicmodulation.com. The downloads in your account will always link to the latest updated versions.

If you have any questions or have trouble accessing your account, please let me know.

Right on. So I guess since it’s mpe now, the aftertouch works per note in that mode? And did I understand from the video that cc74 can just affect either the filter or amp? Any other targets possible?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:36 pm Right on. So I guess since it’s mpe now, the aftertouch works per note in that mode? And did I understand from the video that cc74 can just affect either the filter or amp? Any other targets possible?
MPE will only affect Pitch/Filter/Amp for now, but I plan to expand on it. This will require time and work. I wanted to get the basic MPE functionality implemented as a starting point. And yes, Filter/Amp is setup as the aftertouch/cc74 targets, but can be switched so that Filter is cc74.

Really glad to see this update. Thanks!

I do have a question, though. The manual refers to aligning the pitchbend for MPE use in the host, but I'm not sure how this works. When I set ROLI dashboard to 12 (Phonec's maximum), I can easily control vibrato, but that only allows slides of one octave. Other MPE-compatible synths normally allow for 48 notes (2-up, 2-down), which allows for slides spanning the entire Seaboard. Will you also be adding more range to octave selection?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:56 pm Really glad to see this update. Thanks!

I do have a question, though. The manual refers to aligning the pitchbend for MPE use in the host, but I'm not sure how this works. When I set ROLI dashboard to 12 (Phonec's maximum), I can easily control vibrato, but that only allows slides of one octave. Other MPE-compatible synths normally allow for 48 notes (2-up, 2-down), which allows for slides spanning the entire Seaboard. Will you also be adding more range to octave selection?
Ah, I'll have to increase Phonec's max pitchbend range. Sorry about that.

I've just done some tests. I've got MPE turned on but the aftertouch modulation is still affecting things globally, not per note/channel.

Correction: I can't get aftertouch modulations to work at all when in MPE mode. This is channel aftertouch right? Which is the mod source that MPE uses per channel for pressure. Why isn't aftertouch doing anything? Am I missing a trick? Pitch bend seems to be working.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:16 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:56 pm Really glad to see this update. Thanks!

Ah, I'll have to increase Phonec's max pitchbend range. Sorry about that.
All good! Just glad it's an oversight, rather than a feature :wink:

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:35 pm I've just done some tests. I've got MPE turned on but the aftertouch modulation is still affecting things globally, not per note/channel.
The Aftertouch panel is for standard channel aftertouch, this is not used in MPE mode. The MPE settings are accessed on the 'about' panel. Once MPE is activated, Filter(aftertouch) and Amp(cc74) are then controlled by MPE. Click the 'A:74' switch to reverse it so that Filter=cc74/Amp=Aftertouch. The knobs above this control the levels of these parameters.

The main Aftertouch panel on the interface is not part of MPE at this moment.

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:54 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:35 pm I've just done some tests. I've got MPE turned on but the aftertouch modulation is still affecting things globally, not per note/channel.
The Aftertouch panel is for standard channel aftertouch, this is not used in MPE mode. The MPE settings are accessed on the 'about' panel. Once MPE is activated, Filter(aftertouch) and Amp(cc74) are then controlled by MPE. Click the 'A:74' switch to reverse it so that Filter=cc74/Amp=Aftertouch. The knobs above this control the levels of these parameters.

Oh ok, that's really confusing because channel aftertouch is exactly what MPE uses (per channel). So now there are two channel aftertouch mod sources, the aftertouch panel (which becomes disabled I guess when MPE is activated?) and the single filter/amp aftertouch source. That's too bad. I was excited to use the aftertouch modulations per note. Ideally would be if there was another mod panel like the aftertouch panel for timbre as well but I understand that that's more work and GUI changes etc. I would have thought the aftertouch mods would work as is though. :(

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:00 pm
jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Oh ok, that's really confusing because channel aftertouch is exactly what MPE uses (per channel). So now there are two channel aftertouch mod sources, the aftertouch panel (which becomes disabled I guess when MPE is activated?) and the single filter/amp aftertouch source. That's too bad. I was excited to use the aftertouch modulations per note. Ideally would be if there was another mod panel like the aftertouch panel for timbre as well but I understand that that's more work and GUI changes etc. I would have thought the aftertouch mods would work as is though. :(
Yes, when MPE is activated, aftetouch operates in a different way, so the controls for that are on it's own panel. But like I said, this is a standard implementation. I do plan to expand on it and possibly incorporate it into the main aftertouch panel, utilizing some, or all of those targets. But for now it's considered a different operation.

Thanks for the update Jack but i didnt get an e-mail about the new update. Is the new update in my account?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Instruments”