Phonec 2 has been released! (Updated to v2.4)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phonec The Sound Experience Soundbank

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Have any of the latest updates made the aftertouch polyphonic? I don't really understand mono aftertouch - when playing chords does it take the highest value or don't the different note pressures interfere with each other?

I think this synth would be perfect for mpe by the way. The aftertouch panel could become a 5D assignment panel instead. Any thoughts about adding that functionality? Would be a cool differentiator.
Phonec2 is currently not capable of polyphonic aftertouch, but it's something I can look into for the coming update. It all depends on the complexity of implementing something like this, but I will look into it for sure.
Cool. Mpe would be even better!

Is it worth the effort? There are so few controllers capable of handling polyphonic AT.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Is it worth the effort? There are so few controllers capable of handling polyphonic AT.
Ableton Push
CME keyboards
Keith mcmillan K-board, qunexus, quneo
Roli seabord blocks, seaboard rise
Linnstrument
Artiphon instsrument one
Sensel Morph
Vax keyboards
Some Edirol PCR keyboards
Kurzweil MIDIBoard
Some hardware keyboards such as:
Roland A80
Roland A50
Ensoniq SQ-80
Ensoniq VFX
Ensoniq VFX-SD
Ensoniq ASR-10
Ensoniq TS-10
Sequential Circuits Prophet-T8
Yamaha DX1
SynthAxe
General Music GEM S Series workstations
Elka MK88 Master Controller

Yeah there are more controllers that don't have polyAT however I think it's becoming more and more common with the cheaper ones these days. Plus even without a controller, it can be good for writing automation in a DAW.

Well, but how many of those are traditional keyboards and affordable to ordinary VST users?
The Edirol ones have been discontinued, the Roland A Pro series only has channel AT.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Well, but how many of those are traditional keyboards and affordable to ordinary VST users?
The Edirol ones have been discontinued, the Roland A Pro series only has channel AT.
Well I think you're right hat's its more rare in traditional keyboards but it's there in many non traditinoal things that are becoming very popular like Ableton Push or the keith mcmillan instruments. Or the things like the sensel and there's another one I forgot too where you can switch the overlays. Or the seaboard blocks. These things are becoming more and more common every year and cheaper and cheaper, and they always have poly aftertouch.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Is it worth the effort? There are so few controllers capable of handling polyphonic AT.
There are more being released every year.
However, polyphonic-aftertouch is part of the basic MIDI specification. Why not include it be default? All synths should have it, imo.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I'd like to be able to automate the Pitchwheel too. It's the only automation I miss on Dubtron and Dubtron2 and Phonec, don't know why it's not possible.

Plus all the pads on Akai MPD controllers.
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Ableton Push
CME keyboards
Keith mcmillan K-board, qunexus, quneo
Roli seabord blocks, seaboard rise
Linnstrument
Artiphon instsrument one
Sensel Morph
Vax keyboards
Some Edirol PCR keyboards
Kurzweil MIDIBoard
Some hardware keyboards such as:
Roland A80
Roland A50
Ensoniq SQ-80
Ensoniq VFX
Ensoniq VFX-SD
Ensoniq ASR-10
Ensoniq TS-10
Sequential Circuits Prophet-T8
Yamaha DX1
SynthAxe
General Music GEM S Series workstations
Elka MK88 Master Controller

Yeah there are more controllers that don't have polyAT however I think it's becoming more and more common with the cheaper ones these days. Plus even without a controller, it can be good for writing automation in a DAW.

Endor-8o8 wrote:I'd like to be able to automate the Pitchwheel too. It's the only automation I miss on Dubtron and Dubtron2 and Phonec, don't know why it's not possible.
Adding this to my feature request list...

This looks really cool, but I wonder does it offer anything special that I couldn't achieve with a different synth + EchoMelt? Since I already have quite a lot of synths, I'm kinda hesitant to add another to my collection and was thinking of getting EchoMelt instead maybe, unless there's something really special about Phonec itself.

misterfister wrote:This looks really cool, but I wonder does it offer anything special that I couldn't achieve with a different synth + EchoMelt? Since I already have quite a lot of synths, I'm kinda hesitant to add another to my collection and was thinking of getting EchoMelt instead maybe, unless there's something really special about Phonec itself.
Echomelt only gives the tape style degradation whereas there is a circuit melt as well in the synth which operates directly on the oscillators (maybe filters not sure), so it seems to work at the voice level rather than as an effect after the voices are merged. The synth also seems to have some interesting cross mod type functions and you can even use it as an effect as well. So you get the effect and synth for only ten dollars more. Echomelt does seem to have some extra functions not in the synth effect version though.

misterfister wrote:This looks really cool, but I wonder does it offer anything special that I couldn't achieve with a different synth + EchoMelt? Since I already have quite a lot of synths, I'm kinda hesitant to add another to my collection and was thinking of getting EchoMelt instead maybe, unless there's something really special about Phonec itself.
Phonec has several unconventional features that set it apart from other synths. The HFO is a good example of this. It's a 'high frequency' audio range oscillator that can be setup and routed in ways that give you things like FM and AM synthesis and pitch modulation of several targets, some uncommon like Filter and Pulse Width. The HFO is a highly experimental Modulation engine that allows for some strange and unique sounds coming out of Phonec. Can be used subtly for interesting harmonic layers or pushed to the extreme for all out weirdness.

In terms of the on board Melt effect, as stated previously, Phonec's Melt is hardwired to the oscillators, which give it a different sound. But it can also switch to 'tape mode', where Melt becomes an effect over the entire signal (Osc>Filter>Delay). Another point worth noting is that Phonec's Melt can be modulated in ways that wouldn't work with a synth > fx situation. For example, Melt can be modulated by the LFOs, Envelopes, Aftertouch and Modwheel.

A few other features worth mentioning are Filter Separation, Pan Tracking (try this on arps and pads), and the Sequencer/Arp play together in interesting ways.

New update!

====

Phonec 2.3:

New Melt System with HFO integration
New Filter variations + a new Acid Filter
Filter Saturation Driver
Highpass Filter Tracking
Randomizers are now MIDI assignable
Oscillator Harmonics Reduction
Dotted note echoes
EchoShifter timing has been improved
All LFOs now start with the same phase on host play.
Arp Hold can also function as note hold
Sub-Presets for key sections
Improved Patch Management
Load/Save MIDI cc maps
Note Memory Mode can be turned off
Lots of bug fixes and improvements

====

I love it so far! VERY useful additions. The new filter types are amazing

Is this update free for us who bought Phonec 2?

EDIT:

just saw the email from Psychic Modulation. :)
Last edited by Halonmusic on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

fluffy_little_something wrote:Well, but how many of those are traditional keyboards and affordable to ordinary VST users?
Don‘t forget we live in the future. Not every one needs an expensive keboard for this.
A one dollar app is enough.
Edit: Uupppss.....was an old post :D

Return to “Instruments”