Analogue vs. Software - blindtest

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:30 am
e-crooner wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:17 pmInteresting, but to my ears the hardware sounds clearly better, tighter and livelier somehow. But it might as well have to do with the patch programming and recording, who knows...
I think it is mostly in the mix, not anything inherent in the quality of the instruments. i.e. It's because Giorgio Moroder knows what he's doing, not because hes using a better set-up. After all, some of the other hardware versions sound much worse than the Zebra version.
That was not Moroder in the video, but a Finnish guy.

It's certainly a question of talent, but that isn't mutually exclusive with the inherent quality of an instrument. Rather they're both at play... where selecting a great instrument that works best to produce the sound that works best in that mix is based upon talent. Putting everything together is impossible if you don't have access to the tools you need, but picking the right tool for the job requires knowing both what the job is and how each tool functions to fulfill it.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I will point you towards this video which has been studiously ignored by KVR at large but will help give some perspective to this discussion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=634puTErwYY
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

That's why EDM is dead music, even if it is produced perfectly.

That's the problem, though, isn't it. Dance music is ALL about the production, not the song. Whenever I hear any form of trance, I sit there waiting for the song to kick in but the music is never anything more than an extended intro to a non-existent song.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Yes, that kind of music doesn't have much of a structure, I prefer 4 to 5 minute-songs with verses, choruses etc. Instrumental music in general bores me to death, the human voice is key to me. Don't get me wrong, there are great instrumental tracks, but oftentimes they are exceptions from singing artists, not tracks from people who make instrumental music.
I think subconsciously EDM producers know their music is crap, that's why they try to compensate with bombastic sound.

Damn what is the answer list!

e-crooner wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:16 amInstrumental music in general bores me to death, the human voice is key to me. Don't get me wrong, there are great instrumental tracks, but oftentimes they are exceptions from singing artists, not tracks from people who make instrumental music.
Yes, absolutely. Couldn't have put it better myself.
I think subconsciously EDM producers know their music is crap, that's why they try to compensate with bombastic sound.
I think they are probably too out of it to know, one way or the other.

It's a question of how you define "music", and in such a subjective context it's absolutely narcissistic to define one's own subjective opinion as greater than another. It may very well be that some are "too out of it" as you say to accept that there may be those who take no pleasure in experiencing what you call "music".

The very desire to attempt to make such absolute definitions of the subjective is I would argue evidence of a lonesome and tortured soul.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

No it isn't. For example, a trance "song" is something that I would only use as an intro to an actual song, which makes it subordinate to the songs I make in an objective, quantifiable way. Similarly, someone who has gone to the effort of writing lyrics and recording vocals to go with a piece of music has, in my view, worked a helluva lot harder than someone who just produces music. Moreover, what they have made is a far more significant work. To be fair, that may be because I find putting vocals into an arrangement by far the hardest part of completing a song but I would be surprised if it wasn't a common perspective.

The reality is that if we only made instrumental music, we could pump out one or two albums a years. Easily. The fact we like to write proper songs means it takes us two or three years to make an album. That's how much harder it is for us but, obviously, we feel it is worth the effort because those songs feel like far more significant achievements.

The desire to separate one's self from others is sourced from insecurity and fear. The need to "get ahead" by placing others below in order to stand above. This is the act of a coward.

“Those who always
know what’s best
are a universal pest.”
― Piet Hein

aciddose wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:33 amThe desire to separate one's self from others is sourced from insecurity and fear. The need to "get ahead" by placing others below in order to stand above. This is the act of a coward.
And the relevance here is what, exactly? Do you think I am speaking personally? Would it never occur to you that I might be looking at the more than 1200 albums I thought were worth buying and seeing what in those works makes them worth having? I realise that younger generations tend to be very self-centred but you need to understand that we're not all like that. Some of us have no trouble looking at things objectively.

I'd also suggest that your need to make things personal shows a deep-seated insecurity of your own. Or perhaps it is nothing more than a reflection of your self-absorbed nature that you assume I was having a go at you when the reality is that i have no idea what sort of music you make and, therefore, could not possibly have known how anything I said would apply to you? Yes, that's right, it isn't all about you (or it wasn't until you made it so).

Return to “Instruments”