Analogue vs. Software - blindtest

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I've already posted this to other forums, but wanted to share here as well, I think it's worth a listen.

I've created 5 different patches on my Eurorack analogue modular synth, and recreated those sounds with a software synth (u-he ACE). I've recorded both versions in 32 second tracks. (16sec VST + 16sec analogue in varying order).

You can make it a guessing game (even post your guess) or look at the results and just listen to it knowing.

Soundcloud playlist with descriptions: https://soundcloud.com/galingong/sets/e ... -blindtest

Correct results: http://fetchnotes.com/share?id=bd6be4e3 ... 3a0b99a004

44,1kHz 16bit samples: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy38smpyyvqfu ... t.zip?dl=0

Cheers!

Software sounds more pleasent

themachinelt wrote:Software sounds more pleasent
+1

thanks for sharing, really interesting test.

Software sounds better except for example 3. IMHO Software wins.

I guess when you hear background noise, it is hardware?

Daru925 wrote:I guess when you hear background noise, it is hardware?
Yup.

Taurus wrote:Software sounds better except for example 3. IMHO Software wins.
I agree :)
But in that test it sounds like the filter envelope wasn't opened enough and the hw had more release on the amp envelope.

Thank you for this! I'm really impressed by Ace. I thought software and hardware sounded equally good in all examples except for the fifth example. That is the only example where I clearly prefer the hardware. in that specific case the hardware sounds more distinct somehow, as if there is a very subtle chorus on the software.

D-Fusion wrote:
Taurus wrote:Software sounds better except for example 3. IMHO Software wins.
I agree :)
But in that test it sounds like the filter envelope wasn't opened enough and the hw had more release on the amp envelope.
You are right, I guess, that's the one I'm the most unsatisfied with. It is an amplitude-modulated saw wave, and it looks like something isn't right with the ACE AM algorithm. In the software manual they state

"While RM could be written as y = a x mod, AM is normally y = a x (1 + mod). However,
AM in ACE's multiples is defined as y = a x (1 - mod).There's a very good reason for
this departure from the norm, as you will see shortly..."

Maybe that, or the circuit design in my VCA, but something was clearly off with that one.

Personally I'd still prefer the hardware in 3 examples out of 5, but I'd say the difference is subtle and that's a big deal considering how inexpensive and easy it is to work with software.

I was wrong for most of them....makes me want to get ACE though....

the results don't exist anymore

to the people who think the software sounds better.. wat?? The analog sounds much better. I mean.. it's not even close in my opinion. Diva comes a lot closer. The giveaway for me in this test is the quality of the resonance, and in the bass track, the low end fullness is like night and day.

i've got some examples I did of my akai ax60 recreated in diva if anyone wants to hear.

Hmmm why do people usually react to such test as if they were test of preference (which one do you like the most?) instead of recognition (can you tell which one is analog?). Just wonder, though I have an idea.

I liked the software better in the majority of them but the difference is so subtle it's not even worth caring.

Another reason why I am perfectly happy with my all software setup.

Return to “Instruments”