UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I don’t understand at all your second phrase. And I see no way you could achieve a similar effect with automation. I’d suggest at least to try my suggestion, you’d may be surprised.

“True self modulation” = recursivity.
Two crossmodulated LFOs are still recursive as you have a feedback loop between them. You just need the output of one of them, however.

there might be a slight diference....
A self modulated LFO reads values from itself
..while many times diferent LFO's even at the same rate can produce somewhat diferent values (be on a diferent phase of the cycle)

I haven't wrote/studied a postgraduation about this :D but noticed diferent synths handle this diferently, just like the sound signature itself

tasty tatsyn wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:36 pm..while many times diferent LFO's even at the same rate can produce somewhat diferent values (be on a diferent phase of the cycle)
Not if you set it to Retrigger mode.

Just tested 2xLFO crossmodulation and Falcon crashes the daw instantly. So it really doesn't like anything recursive :)

Uppps X2 post
Last edited by tasty tatsyn on Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sircuit wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:52 am Then you could try setting two identical lfos, adjust them via common macro knobs and cross modulating each other.

c_voltage wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:26 am
sircuit wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:11 am ...and you can find the LFO in the modulation options, then you can do a “recursive” modulation.
The problem exactly that i can't find (not see) the same lfo as source in dropdown list.
Other lfo - yes i see, but not the same lfo. 8)
EvilDragon wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:13 pm
tasty tatsyn wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:36 pm..while many times diferent LFO's even at the same rate can produce somewhat diferent values (be on a diferent phase of the cycle)
Not if you set it to Retrigger mode.
True but not optimal if it requires you to set a method that might not be the most adjusted to what he wants..
Since Cross modulation does seem to break/crash Falcon in some cases too

Solutions(depending on what you want to achieve):
you have large limits on ammount of LFO's, etc, so there's workarounds..

1 - You can set a 2nd/3th LFO and connect both to a macro

2 - It is still possible to set an LFO as a sub modulator of the modulation itself (requires some more steps)
ex:
2.1 - LFO1 to OSC PAN -> Sub Modulator LFO1
2.2 - LFO 2 to LFO 1 Speed -> Sub Modulator LFO2

sircuit wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:03 pm And I see no way you could achieve a similar effect with automation.
Why ? Theoretically you can achieve any kind of modulation result thru automation.

About other mentioned solutions - thanks folks, will keep it in mind, but mainly i just wanted to be sure that i did not miss anything and directly way to self modulate is not able in Falcon.
sircuit wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:41 pm Just tested 2xLFO crossmodulation and Falcon crashes the daw instantly.
Hmm, that interesting btw. So, need make report mb.

UPD You probably understood this interest after being active in the Pigments top :D .
But this does not significantly change something, I still like the Falcon.

May we have the ability to replace a layer (through paste), or, the ability to reorder them?

Dillinger wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:40 pm May we have the ability to replace a layer (through paste), or, the ability to reorder them?
You can load programs as layers. Not exactly what you're looking for but a useful workaround.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Dillinger wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:40 pm May we have the ability to replace a layer (through paste), or, the ability to reorder them?
You can load programs as layers. Not exactly what you're looking for but a useful workaround.
Please enlighten me.

Paste (and duplicate and cut and copy) are commands available when in the List view. Use the wrench to access them , in a dropdown. Selecting multiple layers is an option too.
Falcon user since 2015

So Falcon does not have a demo?
How do you evaluate/experience this synth then before buying (it's not like it's 50 bucks or so).

Stefken wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:10 pm So Falcon does not have a demo?
How do you evaluate/experience this synth then before buying (it's not like it's 50 bucks or so).
No demo indeed. Probably the most requested thing during the last 4 years.

I see your point. I was concerned but took the chance when v.2 was announced. I would recommend you listen to the soundcloud demos on the UVI website. Depending on your musical inclination, if you are dance-oriented, then Spectre, Titanium, and Pulsar are probably worth your time listening to first. If you are into ambient/cinematic, then Mr. Stockhausen’s signature sets should start you off quite well on the right foot. Then peruse the other cinematic sound sets. The FM soundset is relatively weak, IMO. (FM8 and/or Zebra have better FM presets available). Richard Devine’s Soundset is quirky.

If I could kinda-sorta sum up Falcon by comparing it to other plugins, imagine having Dune 3, Pigments, and Kontakt rolled into one virtual synth. Then add in, arguably, as good or better effects than those three plugins. Well, that is Falcon.

Not the route most took I'm thinking, but I bought MachFive3 as a solid alternative to Kontakt, and because you can modify UVI libraries with it etc. Falcon is the replacement for MachFive, so it was a natural move to upgrade when they offered M53 owners a deal. It's not just a synth, so looking at it from that perspective if you like and use UVI libraries you're getting a better playground for them. That coupled with the extended sound capabilities it's pretty much one of the best synths/samplers out there IMO.

I don't know if a demo would do it justice? It takes (at least for me, even coming from M53) a bit of time to get used to. Once you do it's worth it. It's definitely one of my top 5 "desert island synths".

Return to “Instruments”