iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

Not being developed and abandoned are two different things.
The Izotope creative plugins are not abandoned.

I recently had an issue with Stutter Edit not passing AU validation in Logic on Mac OS Mojave. I bought it when I was still on Yosemite and hadn't really used since then. It had failed AU validation since at least Sierra and I hadn't bothered to sort it out. I finally got an urge to use it again so I contacted support to see if they could help (since yes,there hadn't been a version update since 2015). The support person took the time to help me with the issue, linked me to a newer build and showed me the process for getting the plugin to pass AU validation. Now it works just fine in the latest Mac OS.
Not an abandoned product.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 am
aMUSEd wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:34 am
cospaia wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:37 pm
Sampleconstruct wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Yeah I decided not to buy Iris 2 either, after I saw how bug-riddled it was/still is. :roll:
Other than the v1 preset import, is there any major bug?
Depends on your definition of “major bugs“, but yes, i would call some of the issues below major bugs.

*The Sample&Hold (random) LFO is still broken in version 2.01, in most cases it decides not to modulate, sometimes it modulates, so it’s behavior is very erratic. Also the speed of the random LFO can currently not be modulated with any controller. So all patches using a random LFO are affected by that. iZotope is still working on a fix for this issue (they said in March 2015).

*When you assign the modulation wheel to the main output gain using negative values, e.g. something like -20% to compensate for the gain boost introduced by the distortion FX (also assigned to the wheel), the next time you open the preset the wheel will totally mute the output when fully engaged, as the master output knob at the top of the UI can't be assigned to any controller anymore, the only workaround is to individually assign negative values to the individual outputs of each oscillator.

*Trying to modulate Chorus depth (not mix) with a Macro doesn't work, the knob modulation indicator is actually moving when tuning the Macro but the sound doesn't change.

*Since Iris 2 the Send-levels to the FX modules are routed pre-envelope, so when a patch is using the FX-Send-mode, a sound will reach the FX section although it’s sustain level might be turned to zero. They are thinking of adding a pre/post-switch to fix this issue, the workaround is, to also assign the amplitude envelope of an oscillator the the respective send level.

*The feature to change LFO waveforms via Macros has been removed in Iris 2

*As the minimum/maximum modulation amount was removed in Iris 2, some modulation values can not be assigned accurately anymore, like e.g. delay times, cutoff levels etc, so some modulation levels might slightly differ in the converted Iris 2 patches.

*The new architecture of Iris 2 renders some former assignments useless/impossible, so I used many workarounds in the Iris 2 patches, sometimes I also added a few modulations here and there, taking advantage of the new modulation system. But the new patches sound just as good :)

*The zipper noises in Iris 2 when moving/automating Macros and other controllers like the Modwheel have increased significantly in comparison with version 1, if you move them slow enough, you will be able to avoid those artifacts.

*CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.

*The master output knob at the top of the GUI can't be modulated anymore.

*Limiter amount can't be modulated anymore.

*Modulating delay time with an LFO does not produce usable results.
Maybe this one is repeated (I didn't find it) but I can't export pitchbend wheel recorded movements on Cubase; I think it's not a Cubase problem because if I replace Iris 2 with any other synth in the same instrument track, the pitchbend is perfectly exported.

However, I find it a sooo massive bug that it can't be a bug, but reading the manual didn't give me an answer neither.
afaik nothing has changed since this was posted
Not to diminish the claims made here, but i’m pretty sure that the author of this list is still creating patches that are being sold under subscription. So the bugs may be frustrating, but not show-stopping. Or it could be that Iris is so good that those bugs can be tolerated, where in other software they might be harder to let pass :shrug:
As I said there are still bugs, not so severe that it is unusable as in most cases there are workarounds but it is frustrating that iZotope will apparently never address them now and not good for people's confidence in them that they treated Iris customers this way.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 am Not to diminish the claims made here, but i’m pretty sure that the author of this list is still creating patches that are being sold under subscription. So the bugs may be frustrating, but not show-stopping. Or it could be that Iris is so good that those bugs can be tolerated, where in other software they might be harder to let pass :shrug:
Agreed. Iris is a unique product, and there are no showstoppers. :D

And if you go back to the beginning of this thread and read the posts from the first day (pages 1-12), you will come to the same conclusion that I did. That the upgrade to Iris 2 was received so negatively by the users most heavily "invested" in Iris 1, that many potential customers were probably convinced not to buy/upgrade to Iris 2.

So the product may have been unfairly trashed as a useless pile of sh*t upon arrival. With the author of said bug list (apparently) leading the negative chorus. :dog:

Result: product commercially dead on arrival!!!

Disclaimer: I have never owned or used Iris 1. So I am not comparing anything. I am just a happy, impartial Iris 2 user that is curious about what may have convinced iZotope product management to (apparently) walk away from such a great product.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:29 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 am Not to diminish the claims made here, but i’m pretty sure that the author of this list is still creating patches that are being sold under subscription. So the bugs may be frustrating, but not show-stopping. Or it could be that Iris is so good that those bugs can be tolerated, where in other software they might be harder to let pass :shrug:

And if you go back to the beginning of this thread and read the posts from the first day (pages 1-12), you will come to the same conclusion that I did. That the upgrade to Iris 2 was received so negatively by the users most heavily "invested" in Iris 1, that many potential customers were probably convinced not to buy/upgrade to Iris 2.

So the product may have been unfairly trashed as a useless pile of sh*t upon arrival. With the author of said bug list (apparently) leading the negative chorus. :dog:

Disclaimer: I have never owned or used Iris 1. So I am not comparing anything. I am just a happy, impartial Iris 2 user that is curious about what may have convinced iZotope product management to (apparently) walk away from such a great product.
I wasn't leading the negative chorus, I just made a list with Iris 2 bugs while converting hundreds of patches from version 1 to version 2, I've been supporting Iris since it's release in 2012 and I'm still releasing new Iris 2 patches today so I'm actually supporting the product, not destroying it.

if you own a novation device and have an account they are giving Trash 2 for free at the sound-collective area. you are welcome.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 pm

I wasn't leading the negative chorus, I just made a list with Iris 2 bugs while converting hundreds of patches from version 1 to version 2, I've been supporting Iris since it's release in 2012 and I'm still releasing new Iris 2 patches today so I'm actually supporting the product, not destroying it.
With all due respect, I didn't call you out by name. But since you insist on "outing" yourself, IMHO you should have STFU way back at the beginning, and taken up your issues directly with Izotope support, not here in a public forum!

Why the F should bugs not be public?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

zzz00m wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:23 pm
Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 pm

With all due respect, I didn't call you out by name. But since you insist on "outing" yourself, IMHO you should have STFU way back at the beginning, and taken up your issues directly with Izotope support, not here in a public forum!
Lol, I did communicate with iZotopes product manager for many weeks and helped them release the hotfix version of Iris 2 in December 2014, the product manager then suddenly disappeared and Iris 2 was never developed any further. STFU? Why? Only you may know.

zzz00m wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:29 pm Result: product commercially dead on arrival!!!
Bullshit!

IOW, the opinion of several posters at kvr cannot influence anything. Let alone kill a product.

IOW, if it is a fail, this must be for different reasons.

Exactly this. I bought Iris 2 back in the day in their creative bundle. It's great. I also subscribed to simon's Iris 2 subscription and got a bunch of amazing patches for it. I don't notice any bugs when I use it. I don't dig too deep, use a patch and tweek it Not saying it's perfect - just saying that in the way I use it I am happy with it and simon's patches. Thanks Simon for helping to keep Iris 2 alive.

Afaik iZotope hasn't put much recent work into any of their creative plugins apart from the newest one, VocalSynth. Breaktweaker, Trash, StutterEdit, Iris - all good plugins waiting for updates imho.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

It seems I would not have so much fun with Iris 2, if the product manager did not disappear, though I bought it and did not get it for free, I would not have bought it for its original price... There are some other tools which astound me on their quality/price ratio (Trash 2 as gift from Novation). I would not mind if VocalSynth gets abandoned, I might get that in the range of my budgets that way...; - )
I might more long for old innovative versions than for the newest version hype...

perfumer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:24 am
zzz00m wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:29 pm Result: product commercially dead on arrival!!!
Bullshit!

IOW, the opinion of several posters at kvr cannot influence anything. Let alone kill a product.
This. People on internet forums, or on social media in general way overstate their importance.

Have you ever noticed how quickly that negative posts on official company forums get edited/deleted, or users suspended?

I suppose they go to all that effort because negative internet posters have no influence?

just bought this, excited to try

Return to “Instruments”