Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Now that It's official :party: I might as well start an official thread (the first one was wholly unexpected):

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/serum-by-xfer-records

Serum is a wavetable synth focused on hi-quality sound, and a sophisticated table designer/editor. I've spent a healthy amount of time on the interface as well, trying to make something a synth which is both intuitive and fun to program.

You can import audio (via a variety of analysis methods), draw (grid or freehand), use function formulas (for wavetable directly or FFT bins, for generating and/or processing).

While my next few days are going to be focused on getting everything ready for shipping, I'll try to pop in here and answer any questions!

Wow, nice GUI :hail:

It comes as 64 bit?

Demo via the reg. xfer forums imminent?

Looks very good. Any audio examples to hear it? :)

It is totally beautiful, and I have been getting into wavetable/scanning synths lately..
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

This is a bit similar to Dune 2, right? (Except for the whole unison stuff I suppose.)

Serum looks to be a wavetable synth, while Dune 2 employs "VA, Wavetable and FM Synthesis"

It does have an FM knob there :)

Anyway, the displays are very nice. I wonder if they consume a lot of CPU.

Yes yes yes yes. Just yes! :hihi: Can't wait to get my grubby mits on this filth maker!!
Eternitysound VST Banks

GeorgeZ wrote:Yes yes yes yes. Just yes! :hihi: Can't wait to get my grubby mits on this filth maker!!
:tu:
... space is the place ...

Looking forward to checking out the Serum :party:

Is it meant as a cure for people who have been poizoned by other synths? 8)

Looks a bit like Nave

Great stuff Steve, can't wait to try it out. Given the quality of your previous plugins it's is in the no brainier territory for me to purchase.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Wow, nice GUI :hail:
Cheers,my GUI designer (Lance Thackeray) and I have spent many hours on a lot of subtleties, and I've made 35 custom GUI control classes purpose-built for various things!
It comes as 64 bit?
Yes 32/64-bit in all formats. I just updated the product info, thanks for mentioning.
Demo via the reg. xfer forums imminent?
yes! well probably 36 hours away for that, today's task is narrowing down the unexpectedly huge volume of preset submissions... a good problem to have, I suppose.
Looks very good. Any audio examples to hear it? :)
Thanks - there's a collection from various preset designers on http://www.facebook.com/xferrecords - if you're anti-facebook (I'm not the biggest fan myself) and prefer some direct links, just ask I can dig those up.
This is a bit similar to Dune 2, right?
I've had people compare it to a whole bunch of synths, obviously there is overlap between a lot of synths. I'm not versed enough in Dune2 to make the comparison, though I'm confident both are their own instruments. I believe you can use Serum to make WT's for Dune2 as well :)
Dune 2 employs "VA, Wavetable and FM Synthesis"
Serum employs these as well (and Additive also, though in a non-realtime capacity for table creation/manipulation).
Is it meant as a cure for people who have been poizoned by other synths? 8)
hah! I struggled with a name for a while, I wanted something with a slight biologic/medical slant, like Nerve has. I wanted something descriptive about the clear/sharp/clean/cutting sound of the oscillators, but all the candidate names felt too cheesy, so I ended up going with Serum.
Last edited by bitcrusher on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”