VSTi most like Virus C?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

Oh yeah, forgot spire does a good immitation too. In fact, I think Spire might do the best immitation IMO. I used it before switching to dune for the better oscillators. A combination of Dunes oscillators with Spires filters would be lethal.

T-CM11 wrote:
ligthlive wrote:VSTi sounds on a Highendsoundcard more or less other than on an Onboardchip. A Hardware Virus had the same DSP in every Device. :)
An audio interface is just the DA converter, how does this relate to DSP? Does your MS Word letter look different on an Intel or AMD CPU?
You are kidding me? ;) Other Question - Looks the newest Games better on the Onboard Graphic Chip or with a GForce or Nivida Card? ;) Ok is a Joke. :D

But you misunderstand me - I mean not, thats a Sound is totally different. In detail It's other than a Hardwaresynth, because the Hardware uses probably other DA converters as the most Soundcards.

chk071 wrote: As most will use an audio interface anyway, there shouldn't be much of a different though, indeed.
I guess everybody who is a bit serious about this hobby, uses a decent audio interface, no?

What used to be top shelf is available inexpensively now. What he said might be true. I’d have to look into it if I really wanted to know. They might be using cirrus chips or something now. If I were a bit younger, and cared more, I might go compare them with the actual virus c DAC’s.

£400 for a Virus TI is an unusually low price second hand. Ebay has one at £750.00 and bidding upwards. TI2 desktop £1200 is normal, £700.00 typical for a Snow of late.

As has been mentioned I am not sure some people are really listening or making good sonic judgements about synths. Comparisons can be and should be objective, more or less. Hearing a new synth for the first time is obviously more subjective as you are not making direct A/B comparisons usually. But are more relying on faculty of memory/ impression through intimately knowing the character of a synth.

I can hear that so far even from audio demos Viper is the closest sounding to the VA side of the Virus VA elements. Undoubtedly there are a few others where you could probably not tell but they are second to Viper from what I have heard. Recursive knows Virus, so we can certainly trust his judgement.

Dune2 is nothing like a Virus to my ears. The filters are "engineer spec" nothing more, nothing less, the sound is rather cloudy/dry/hazy (kind of imprecise, Virus is clearer and much more gritty, wider (hi-fi and lo-fi in an enigmatic way) the filter can be truly nasty in a good way. And the effects section in D2 is nowhere near as hi-fi and gelling/well integrated to the sound generation section as a Virus. I use Virus all the time, Dune2 - rarely. The only DA between my Snow and VSTi I use and my ears are in my soundcard. (Virus audio streamed over USB using the TI plug in/GUI).

That is not to say Dune2 is not a credible and powerful softsynth. It clearly is. There is a space in a mix for almost everything at the right time. And you choose that right time, no one else.

It really does come down to what your goals are, what your perception of quality is, what suits your aesthetic values production wise (your budget !) and what you like and/or are willing to bear if your standards are very high.

You plough your own sonic furrow.

Synthman2000 wrote:As has been mentioned I am not sure some people are really listening or making good sonic judgements about synths. Comparisons can be and should be objective, more or less. Hearing a new synth for the first time is obviously more subjective as you are not making direct A/B comparisons usually. But are more relying on faculty of memory/ impression through intimately knowing the character of a synth.

I can hear that so far even from audio demos Viper is the closest sounding to the VA side of the Virus VA elements. Undoubtedly there are a few others where you could probably not tell but they are second to Viper from what I have heard. Recursive knows Virus, so we can certainly trust his judgement.

It really does come down to what your goals are, what your perception of quality is, what suits your aesthetic values production wise (your budget !) and what you like and/or are willing to bear if your standards are very high.

You plough your own sonic furrow.
Yes thats right. For most, close enough to the original is close enough. The reasons are different. No spend money in hardware, no space for Hardware, no interest in dealing with the wiring between computer and hardware. Or simply to be able to make music while on the go. Notebook on and make music. :tu:

I'm going to throw Hive in this conversation. It does not do 3/4 of the virus... but it does do the virus saw (it's in the subs).

Once again I think approaching this like it's 1995 shows inexperience. Ask yourself what it is you want, and what you want to do? There are various ways to go about it and get there, and if you want the virus... go get the virus.

Or Viper, in direct response to the question at hand.

Dasheesh wrote:Once again I think approaching this like it's 1995 shows inexperience. Ask yourself what it is you want, and what you want to do? There are various ways to go about it and get there, and if you want the virus... go get the virus.
Yep.

And, if you're like me, and you embrace the advantages in the box offers you, be happy with what's available in VST form. And, as Synthman2000 pointed out, we even have an option to get very close to the Virus now, in software.

chk071 wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:Once again I think approaching this like it's 1995 shows inexperience. Ask yourself what it is you want, and what you want to do? There are various ways to go about it and get there, and if you want the virus... go get the virus.
Yep.

And, if you're like me, and you embrace the advantages in the box offers you, be happy with what's available in VST form. And, as Synthman2000 pointed out, we even have an option to get very close to the Virus now, in software.
This thread has inspired me to layer Hive and Dune with HY filterbank... it has everything I liked about the virus. Sounds damn good.

recursive one wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:Virus C wavetables and load them to any synth that can?
I think Virus C didn't have any wavetables, did it?
I think it has? Not in a similar way as in Serum for example but.. 64 digital waveforms?

Distorted Horizon wrote:
recursive one wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:Virus C wavetables and load them to any synth that can?
I think Virus C didn't have any wavetables, did it?
I think it has? Not in a similar way as in Serum for example but.. 64 digital waveforms?
Yes, pre-TI Viruses had a bunch of extra waveforms but they were static, one couldn't scan through them like in a normal wavetable. These appeared only in TI and then additional wavetable modes (Formant/Grain) were introduced in TI2 and Snow

Spire's classic oscillator (and of course the Viper's one) is the closest analogy. You can morph between a saw wave and a complex waveform but you can't go though a series of complex waveforms like you do in case of a "real" wavetable.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Viper is the closest?

Jwpar22 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:25 pm Viper is the closest?
Yes

Return to “Instruments”