Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

No worries. :)

chk071 wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:Virus C wavetables and load them to any synth that can?
Sure, why bother with synths if you have a sample player. :P
Why bother if you have a sampler? ;)
B.. b... but! The filters won't be the same, the envelopes won't be the same, and the general tone will probably also not be the same, because it's a different sound engine.
Sounds like viper. By his own admission. Im sure its quite close, but no closer than other stuff around right now.

AnX wrote: Sounds like viper. By his own admission. Im sure its quite close, but no closer than other stuff around right now.
What makes you say that it's not closer to a virus than other stuff around? Have you tried it?

Well, anything can sound like a Virus. As long as you don't know what Virus sounds like or don't care about it.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
AnX wrote: Sounds like viper. By his own admission. Im sure its quite close, but no closer than other stuff around right now.
What makes you say that it's not closer to a virus than other stuff around? Have you tried it?
Relax, im just messing, picking up on a few this adam has said himself. :wink:

AnX wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Relax, im just messing, picking up on a few this adam has said himself. :wink:
Oh I didn't mean to sound unrelaxed. Was just curious as I thought it was actually a fair bit closer in sound and features to pretty much anything out there.

+ 1 for Viper

Here is a Conclusion from the Viper-Test in the German "Beat" Mag. I Quote the Original in German and a translation in English. Maybe can make everyone a better translation. ;)
Beat 04/2018

Viper bildet in bislang unerreichter Perfektion den VA-Klassiker Access Virus nach. Ob fette Tranceleads, aggressive Sync-Sounnds, rhythmische Arpeggios oder breite Pads, im direkten Vergleich mit der Hardware konnten wir kaum klangliche Unterschiede zum Original feststellen.
Viper reproduces in unprecedented perfection the VA-Classical Access Virus. If fat Tranceleads, aggressive Sync-Sounds, rythmical Arpeggios or bright Pads, in directly Comparison with the Hardware, we find barly Differences to the Original.

Viper imitates the VA-classic Access Virus with an unprecedented perfection. No matter if it's fat tranceleads, aggrassive sync-sounds, rhythmical arpeggios or wide pads, in direct comparison with the hardware we hardly coudn't tell any audible differences with the original.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Timfonie wrote:Viper imitates the VA-classic Access Virus with an unprecedented perfection. No matter if it's fat tranceleads, aggrassive sync-sounds, rhythmical arpeggios or wide pads, in direct comparison with the hardware we hardly coudn't tell any audible differences with the original.
Thank you. :tu:

Btw. By the difference between this translation an my try i hope anyone understand me. :hihi:

ligthlive wrote:+ 1 for Viper

Here is a Conclusion from the Viper-Test in the German "Beat" Mag. I Quote the Original in German and a translation in English. Maybe can make everyone a better translation. ;)
Beat 04/2018

Viper bildet in bislang unerreichter Perfektion den VA-Klassiker Access Virus nach. Ob fette Tranceleads, aggressive Sync-Sounnds, rhythmische Arpeggios oder breite Pads, im direkten Vergleich mit der Hardware konnten wir kaum klangliche Unterschiede zum Original feststellen.
Viper reproduces in unprecedented perfection the VA-Classical Access Virus. If fat Tranceleads, aggressive Sync-Sounds, rythmical Arpeggios or bright Pads, in directly Comparison with the Hardware, we find barly Differences to the Original.

Much much hyperbole.its like since the advent of VSTI and VST modelling in general 80% constitutes "barely any difference" :roll: .i still find the Virus sits better in a mix than most VSTI's including Viper.doesn't bother me though i got a Virus TI the other day for 400squid practically new cause of some dude who was frustrated that he found Spire and Dune 2 make "the same sort of sounds with the same sort of quality that the Virus did"i got a Microwave XT for way less than you'd find one on Ebay,Craigslist etc for similar reasons,but that was cause of Serum and the person who owned it (who was in his early 20ies)thought it sounded "old and muddy".as long as more people in their twenties keep essentially short changing themselves out of frustration,i sincerely hope that this "sort of" accurately modelled trend continues.maybe i could just make suggestions for them knowing full well they'll dispose of them later :hihi:
I

TIMT wrote:

Beat 04/2018

Much much hyperbole.its like since the advent of VSTI and VST modelling in general 80% constitutes "barely any difference" :roll: .i still find the Virus sits better in a mix than most VSTI's including Viper.doesn't bother me though i got a Virus TI the other day for 400squid practically new cause of some dude who was frustrated that he found Spire and Dune 2 make "the same sort of sounds with the same sort of quality that the Virus did"i got a Microwave XT for way less than you'd find one on Ebay,Craigslist etc for similar reasons,but that was cause of Serum and the person who owned it (who was in his early 20ies)thought it sounded "old and muddy".as long as more people in their twenties keep essentially short changing themselves out of frustration,i sincerely hope that this "sort of" accurately modelled trend continues.maybe i could just make suggestions for them knowing full well they'll dispose of them later :hihi:
I do hear the difference between Viper and Virus TI when playing similar patches in isolation, but for me it's not a problem to make Viper sit in the mix and basically it can work in a mix just as well as Virus and it has that distinctive Virusy sound.

Spire does good job at imitating certain fraction of Virus sounds but overall it has another type of sound character. Actually Spire and Virus/Viper go well together in a mix.

Generally I agree that one man's "old and muddy" is another man's "lovely warmth" though.

TIMT wrote:

Beat 04/2018

I think the testers mean the basesound of Viper in comparison with Virus. Personally, I think no VSTi can sounds like the original. I have no comparsion but the same VSTi sounds on a Highendsoundcard more or less other than on an Onboardchip. A Hardware Virus had the same DSP in every Device. :)

ligthlive wrote:VSTi sounds on a Highendsoundcard more or less other than on an Onboardchip. A Hardware Virus had the same DSP in every Device. :)
An audio interface is just the DA converter, how does this relate to DSP? Does your MS Word letter look different on an Intel or AMD CPU?
Yes, all DA converters sound a bit different, but far from making something not a proper emulation.

TIMT wrote:

Beat 04/2018

Much much hyperbole.its like since the advent of VSTI and VST modelling in general 80% constitutes "barely any difference" :roll: .i still find the Virus sits better in a mix than most VSTI's including Viper.doesn't bother me though i got a Virus TI the other day for 400squid practically new cause of some dude who was frustrated that he found Spire and Dune 2 make "the same sort of sounds with the same sort of quality that the Virus did"
I read a thread on the Infekted forum once, where someone wrote that he immediately sold his Virus after trying out Dune 2. I think 1. different people have different tastes, and 2. people can't judge sound at all. I don't want to claim i have golden ears, far from it, but, some people are so WAY off with their judgment that i wonder why they are into this hobby at all. I didn't even ever try a Virus out in person, yet i hear a distinctive difference in sound, even judging by sound demos, to those soft synths.
T-CM11 wrote:
ligthlive wrote:VSTi sounds on a Highendsoundcard more or less other than on an Onboardchip. A Hardware Virus had the same DSP in every Device. :)
An audio interface is just the DA converter, how does this relate to DSP? Does your MS Word letter look different on an Intel or AMD CPU?
Yes, all DA converters sound a bit different, but far from making something not a proper emulation.
It probably won't be THAT much of a difference, but, there's quite a bit of difference between a cheap onboard sound chip on your motherboard, and even a 50-70 € gamer consumer card. Let alone an audio interface. Even though i feel like the jump from a good consumer card to the audio interface is much less of a jump than that from a cheapo onboard chip to a consumer card.

I especially always hear a difference in the clarity of the bass frequencies, some cheap chips tend to muddy that up, and have a weak bass, and the presence in the high frequencies. The best consumer cards i tried were all from Creative, i had the X-Fi Extreme Music, and now, the Soundblaster Z cards, which both sound great, and not much worse than my Steinberg UR interfaces. They also sound better than my former 30 € sound card, an Asus Xonar DS, and much better than the onboard chips on my former and present mainboard.

As most will use an audio interface anyway, there shouldn't be much of a different though, indeed.
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

I any event it's always possible to compare Viper or any other VSTi to Virus TI with Virus' own DACs being excluded from the equation simply by streaming its output over USB via the Virus Control plugin.

Return to “Instruments”