VSTi most like Virus C?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

Viper is the answer, and this comes from a diehard virus fanboy.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Distorted Horizon wrote:Virus C wavetables and load them to any synth that can?
Sure, why bother with synths if you have a sample player. :P

T-CM11 wrote:
Why bother if you have a sampler? ;)

Dune 1 is a good suggestion, but if you want to keep up to date... it’s the oscillators of Dune mixed with an external filter bank. Something like cableguys filterbank 3.

Distorted Horizon wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
Why bother if you have a sampler? ;)
B.. b... but! The filters won't be the same, the envelopes won't be the same, and the general tone will probably also not be the same, because it's a different sound engine.
Dasheesh wrote:Dune 1 is a good suggestion
It would be, if it sounded anything like a Virus. Seriously, Viper is probably the best suggestion, as it is explicitely modelled on the Virus, and is proven to sound similar to the Virus by hardware owners.

chk071 wrote: B.. b... but! The filters won't be the same, the envelopes won't be the same, and the general tone will probably also not be the same, because it's a different sound engine.
Do you really want to play captain obvious? :dog: :wink:

I don't know why you ask that question when Distorted Horizon suggested two times now to either use a synth which loads wavetables or a sample player. Obviously obvious isn't obvious here. I'm happy it is obvious to you though, it is also obvious to me. Maybe we could establish a club, for people for which it is obvious. ;)

I think Virus C didn't have any wavetables, did it?
Dasheesh wrote:Dune 1 is a good suggestion, but if you want to keep up to date... it’s the oscillators of Dune mixed with an external filter bank. Something like cableguys filterbank 3.
Dune 1 (I used to have the CM version) sounds nothing like Virus whatsoever. Neither does Dune2 and no external filter can help cause the Virus sound is not only about the filter.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

chk071 wrote:I don't know why you ask that question when Distorted Horizon suggested two times now to either use a synth which loads wavetables or a sample player. Obviously obvious isn't obvious here. I'm happy it is obvious to you though, it is also obvious to me. Maybe we could establish a club, for people for which it is obvious. ;)
If samplers were the perfect alternative for synths, the market would be full of samplers and few synths. Is that not obvious enough? :tu:

recursive one wrote:
I think Virus C didn't have any wavetables, did it?
Plenty of peope call "samples" wavetables. Blame Creative Labs!
So I'm pretty sure Distorted Horizon is talking about recordings of the Virus waveforms.

T-CM11 wrote:
chk071 wrote:I don't know why you ask that question when Distorted Horizon suggested two times now to either use a synth which loads wavetables or a sample player. Obviously obvious isn't obvious here. I'm happy it is obvious to you though, it is also obvious to me. Maybe we could establish a club, for people for which it is obvious. ;)
If samplers were the perfect alternative for synths, the market would be full of samplers and few synths. Is that not obvious enough? :tu:
Again, im happy for you that you know all that, I still didn't address, or talk to you, but to a person who suggested to use a wavetable synth or a sample player. So, yeah, no idea what you're on to.

Well, I owned a virus C redback, and I use Dune 2 mixed with different filterbanks (Dune2 filters are not so good) to cover the same ground.

chk071 wrote:but to a person ...
... who has around 900 posts here. If he's not trolling then he'll never learn anything. What I'm on to? Wondering why you're replying in all seriousness.

I've seen people with a lot more posts propose things i wouldn't consider "even close". That lies in the nature of "your close isn't my close". And i seriously can't see how Distorted Horizon would be "trolling". There's no irony, there's no smiley, nor do i see anything else which would indicate that he/she is not serious. Also, it would appear to me that, if some people wouldn't consider it a worthwhile thing, we wouldn't have Kontakt instruments with sample Virus waveforms as well. The thing is just that the original questioning was a "What's emulating a Virus", which would suggest Viper, because it is modelled after a Virus, along with its filters, envelopes, waveforms and what not, so i wouldn't consider a sampled Virus as something which "emulates" it. I know, i know, all obvious to you, i just wanted to make clear why some people might suggest a sample library, or wavetables, especially when they don't know about the Viper VST.

Anyway, no offense meant. Just wondered why you needed to play the Captain Obvious card.

chk071 wrote: Anyway, no offense meant. Just wondered why you needed to play the Captain Obvious card.
Same here, no offence intended. I just thought... since you're an experienced poster here...
Maybe my "troll radar" is more sensitive, or I'm more of a cynic? :wink:

Return to “Instruments”