VSTi most like Virus C?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:23 am :tu:

Sometimes I can be helpful.

I've wanted to create an old skool Hard House track for ages now. Might start one this weekend 8)
Would love to hear it if you do it. Big fan of old skool hard house.

Formant Complex synthesis with F shift and F Spread and Interpol is missing. Probably the most unique and interesting part of the virus sound for me.

Laguna Rising wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:15 am There were a couple of threads about it iirc...
:?
it was some time ago, can't find 'em anymore... :shrug:
It’s funny, I have a clear memory of starting a “Synth to replace a Virus C” thread sometime in the mid 00s. I remember getting some hilarious suggestions, like Syrtus... which I bought anyway, because I liked it a lot. Sylenth too... and Zebra. None of which really sounded like the Virus, but great, none the less.

In modern times... probably Spire? Frankly, I use Dune 3 a lot and I feel like it sounds a lot better than any Virus. I’ve owned a C and a TI Snow.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Synthman2000 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:57 pm Formant Complex synthesis with F shift and F Spread and Interpol is missing. Probably the most unique and interesting part of the virus sound for me.
Agreed, that was the best part of the TI Virus for me too. There’s a plugin... let me look it up... https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reaso ... s/malstrom but it’s not a plugin, it’s a synth in Reason. I remember looking into it and thinking that it’s graintable implementation sounded cool but different than the Virus.

So, I guess if you need graintable/formattable synthesis in the way that Access does it, then the Virus is your only option. To be honest, though, the TI wavetables are freely available now, and I think you can do really interesting things with them in other software that has wavetable options, like Factory, Icarus or Serum. The reason I got rid of my C was because I was moving to a space where I’d have only a small desk for my gear, but I did discover software that I felt had better and more interesting sounding filters. I tried a Snow later, but while I loved it’s wavetables and the alternate options, those damn filters always left me cold.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I think I would buy another Snow if mine broke. Important synth for me now.

Be cool if Access made a new synth...

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:52 pm Be cool if Access made a new synth...
There was an interview with the creator of the Virus. Basically, he said he wants nothing to do with synths anymore. His new child, the Kemper Profiling Amp is the future for him, obviously.

Viper is a kind of an development of the Virus line. I would call it a TI3. It has contemporary 0df filters, user waves, and wavetables are coming in a future update, Adam says.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:52 pm Be cool if Access made a new synth...
a doubt.... how many post asking for virus replacements/updates in 2025?

:D

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:41 pm
Synthman2000 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:57 pm Formant Complex synthesis with F shift and F Spread and Interpol is missing. Probably the most unique and interesting part of the virus sound for me.
Agreed, that was the best part of the TI Virus for me too. There’s a plugin... let me look it up... https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reaso ... s/malstrom but it’s not a plugin, it’s a synth in Reason. I remember looking into it and thinking that it’s graintable implementation sounded cool but different than the Virus.

So, I guess if you need graintable/formattable synthesis in the way that Access does it, then the Virus is your only option. To be honest, though, the TI wavetables are freely available now, and I think you can do really interesting things with them in other software that has wavetable options, like Factory, Icarus or Serum. The reason I got rid of my C was because I was moving to a space where I’d have only a small desk for my gear, but I did discover software that I felt had better and more interesting sounding filters. I tried a Snow later, but while I loved it’s wavetables and the alternate options, those damn filters always left me cold.

..that's the thing, i love Icarus and without being able to test a virus hands on i still feel most of it's sound is "somewhat acomplishable" with other synths

Maybe each has it's own sounds and particularities but i end up always thinking, well i don't have a virus phaser+etc but i do have a lot of other stuff virus doesn't have either.. and what matters the most, i like the sounds i get out of it

Waldorf is putting out that FGPA Kyra synth soon. I saw a couple of demos, and all I could think of was “Virus”

Whilst I appreciate a good filter is a great asset I do sometimes think too much is made of filters in 2019. There are many other ways to alter sound in as interesting ways, I have a bit of filter movement in my sounds made recently on the Virus but I know where the filters sound good, that's the region where I make them operate. Once you have discerned this range for each sound, you don't need to worry.

The virus is very rich in many areas, has a record ready sound with a miminmal of fuss and can still create mind blowing sounds even without much filter movement.

W23 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:12 pm Waldorf is putting out that FGPA Kyra synth soon. I saw a couple of demos, and all I could think of was “Virus”
Not sure what i should think about the Kyra, to be honest. Doesn't sound bad, but, doesn't sound extremely exciting either. TBH, i think VA hardware lags a bit behind soft synth development now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFUG1_em3WI

Waldorf also seems to be keen on purchasing external talent. I don't quite see that common theme anymore. Where's the Waldorf sound in Kyra? Nave still had it, as did the Quantum, but, the Kyra sounds different.

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:08 pm
W23 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:12 pm Waldorf is putting out that FGPA Kyra synth soon. I saw a couple of demos, and all I could think of was “Virus”
Not sure what i should think about the Kyra, to be honest. Doesn't sound bad, but, doesn't sound extremely exciting either. TBH, i think VA hardware lags a bit behind soft synth development now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFUG1_em3WI

Waldorf also seems to be keen on purchasing external talent. I don't quite see that common theme anymore. Where's the Waldorf sound in Kyra? Nave still had it, as did the Quantum, but, the Kyra sounds different.
Frankly, I felt the same way but, I kind of chalked it up to NAMM maybe not being the greatest place to really get a feel for what the Kyra is capable of, and am waiting to see how it really works in capable hands

Yeah, really shouldn't judge it yet... actually, watching some more vids, i can't say i dislike the sound so far. :) At least, it has a bit of punch, unlike some of nowadays "super clean, super bright, super soft envelope" kind of synths which seem to be so popular now.

Maybe they should just add more reverb to the sounds. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c38Knd3VW4U

Apparently there’s a little background info on the NAMM video. For one, that’s a Korg rep demoing, and nobody thought to bring a manual along with the Kyra. Absolutely amazing. This is a gearslutz thread on the very issue:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... op-27.html

Return to “Instruments”