One Synth Challenge #120: SE PolyMod KX by KX77FREE (Voting Time!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

simanus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:14 pm Wow that bas sounds very real TheNeverScene ,track is awesome .
Thanks. The main bass is 2 layers, 1 low and 1 mid range to try to get some P bass growl. Things were pretty finicky in finding the right blend.

Made some quick adjustments to the synthwave section (harder snare and some lead support)...it was irking me, but it's done now.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Can i ask you that pad at very begining ..how did you filtered it and what you used to widen it (stereo)?

I too am working with a number of layers to get the right bass sound. Clearly I need to work a bit harder because that bass is really good (I said so on your SC track too! - oh, you replaced it, I'll re-comment!)

Super track as well, btw!

dB

simanus wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:39 am Can i ask you that pad at very begining ..how did you filtered it and what you used to widen it (stereo)?
I just used the Korg filter with very high resonance with the filter eg set to lin and attack cranked to max for the slowest rise I could get, decay at about 2 oclock, sustain zero, release at max. A second pad kicks in about halfway that adds to the falling...both with a heavy dose of TAL Reverb 4.

doctorbob wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:23 am I too am working with a number of layers to get the right bass sound. Clearly I need to work a bit harder because that bass is really good (I said so on your SC track too! - oh, you replaced it, I'll re-comment!)

Super track as well, btw!

dB
Thanks, dB! You know I can never leave well enough alone. hehe

Here's a crude WIP progress. Still not sure about any of it, honestly, but well... thought I'd throw it out there, see if I get some reactions? :shrug:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/sodark/s-ejkpb

Taron wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:14 am thought I'd throw it out there, see if I get some reactions?
It sounds very good, Taron. Nvm the "crude" :lol: I like the harmonix you use a lot, especially in the intermediate part where there's this odd bass note that is semi-solved when some kind of chord is added to it.
My only wish is that I'd like a piano section incorporated, bc the jazzy piano demo was nice. Do you think that's possible? :) :clown:

Very nice track there overall, only thing i would do is maybe replace one of the mono lead synths into polyphonic juno-ish plucky
sound but thats just me.
Well done!

Thanks guys, that's awesome! Very interesting observations and suggestions! I'll skip today and see how it feels tomorrow, thinking about your great input! A plucky one, hmmm... I think, I still have to solidify a style in this. There's always danger when a style lacks a certain degree of definition. I'll figure it out, especially with help like yours, that's awesome! :tu:

@carl_saved … don't worry, I will be making a track with a modified version of MrT's piano sound, a little jazzy piece for a change. :tu: :D

Now I still need to get those toms done - at the moment they are a more of a dull thud! :dog:

dB

Gah, I'm so flipping lazy when it comes to toms... but they are usually not too hard to make. Trouble with this synth is the lack of control for the noise level... other than via filter or the whole vco I haven't found a way to isolate the noise level for env control... might be an oversight?!? :shrug:
But, yeah, having essentially 3 oscillators, though, makes it conceivably easy to make a rich sounding tom. Consider overtones very similar to snares. The third offset sub oscillator on sin and 12, 16 or 19 higher should give you a neat ring.
Filter will help with the noise, but it's just painful.

Yes, sure T … that's where I have gone. :tu: I think what it needs is an extra layer for the initial hit as well … I might steal my snare patch and modify that as a short hit with noise. There's lots of interesting modulations of the filter/vca via envelopes/lfo etc … lots of combos - just a matter of getting the right ring - also I need them nicely tuned (4 of them for a nice panned roll!). :D

This time they are important as they are not always masked in the mix, but form part of a drum/bass solo … so they can be very exposed, therefore, have to be just right. Pah! :dog:

dB

Hi again! Going to take a break on my entry before final mix so thought I'd post a WIP here as a sanity check (like if it's unlistenably incoherent, accidental plagiarism, trite and misguided, etc. :P) - thanks if you do have anything to call out! And let me know if anyone wants any of these patches, there are some weird interesting ones (solo cello, low-strings section, crack snare, "talking" lead, pizzicato strings).

http://www.adamlederer.com/junk/osc_feb_wip2.mp3

@Taron for noise control I've just been using one of the filters as Noise-only and putting an amplitude volume on it in the mixer - but I've found you can get a lot of useful and varied noise via phase distortion (if that's what it is? I've never heard a synth make timbres quite like this one, it's so weird and unique). Also your WIP is such a nice ear-massage texture/timbre-wise, I've got to figure out how you always do that. Regardless of where you take it, you have to finish it in some form as a vehicle for those sounds (those bells are amazing)

@TheNeverScene your bells are amazing too! Very cohesive and engrossing sound, nice track

Man, if you guys keep coming like that, this month has a slight chance of replacing my current favourite month of all times (that is OSC 93 so far) :D
Very nice physical modelling stuff, Rellik, and nice chord progression. I am a sucker for guitars and couldn't resist making one. But yours sounds very nice. This makes me rethink whether you'll hear mine or not ;)

Carl_saved wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:08 amThis makes me rethink whether you'll hear mine or not ;)
I really hope you submit an entry, I went and listened to your previous entries on your Soundcloud, and I need more :pray: honestly your songwriting alone is great to listen to, but add in those perfect percussion and EPs and I'm just like "how..." :!:

Return to “Instruments”