E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a complete guide to setting up the E-MU 1212m/1616m audio interface on Windows 10 version 1903 and above. It will work for both PCI and PCI-Express and should work with the E-MU 1820/1820m/0404 audio interfaces too but you may need to rename the 2 instances of your device name in the EMU_Driver_Fix script file. Huge thank you to ClubHouseKey, whose information saved my business from any downtime. The E-MU 1616m PCI-Express is the audio interface I have and I will never get rid of it unless there is absolutely no way to keep using it. Amazing piece of hardware! If any new updates are posted in this thread then this first post will be edited accordingly.

E-MU 1212m/1616m - Complete Install Guide for Windows 10 (1903 & Above)
*Please perform each task in the exact order listed.*
  1. Download the E-MU_Windows_10_Install.zip file from https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar-KCv7xikVOh23zeXTESuD8k2ih.
  2. Extract the zip file to your main Windows 10 drive and change the name of the folder to "temp". (C:\temp)
  3. Remove all current E-MU Drivers and PatchMix software.
  4. Install the EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA drivers and RESTART INTO SAFE MODE by holding the shift key when clicking on Restart. Choose Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, Start-up Settings and click Restart. When the start-up options appear, press F4.
  5. Once in safe mode right-click on the start button and open Windows PowerShell (Admin). Type into the PowerShell window

Code: Select all

set-executionpolicy unrestricted -scope localmachine
    and press Enter. Then type

cd c:/temp
    and press Enter. Then type

./EMU_Driver_Fix
    to run a modified version of ClubHouseKey's script. This will replace our windows files with the updated files. Performing this step in a normal Windows environment will either cause the script to not run at all due to script settings within Windows or some files will not get overwritten because they're in use.
  6. Restart Windows normally and then install the EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00 PatchMix Software.
  7. You should now have successfully installed your E-MU Audio Interface.
If ASIO isn't working then click on Start and type regedit and click on Registry Editor. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, right-click AsioThk32Reg and choose Modify. Change CTASIO.DLL to CTASIO64.DLL.

I hope this guide helps everyone that wants to keep their 1212m/1616m running.

Martin
Producer, Sherwood Sound Studios

UPDATE...

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad we're all continuing to use our EMU audio interfaces far beyond their official OS compatibility. Maybe one day Creative will update us with a driver package that just contains the steps we have here, but I doubt it. As of 10th April 2021, this Installation Guide still works perfectly.

I just wanted to offer a few basic practices to keep your systems clean, fresh and working smoothly, especially when Windows 10 updates can ruin our EMU audio interfaces...
  • Pause Windows Updates for the entire 35 days so you can update manually when not in a critical working period.
  • Clean install Windows 10 (not as an update) via a USB stick at least once a year, or at your own convenience when a new Windows 10 version is released. This will keep your system running smoothly. Remember to backup your files stored on this drive first.
  • Keep all non-OS/program files on a separate drive away from the Windows OS drive (C:). Not only will this improve performance, but it will also help if there is a failure on the OS drive.
  • Backup any non-OS/program drive regularly, preferably after completing a project. If possible, run these drives in a RAID 1 array so if one drive fails you can replace it without losing data.
If this is any help to you at all, please leave a like.
Last edited by sherwoodsound on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Whats so good about these interfaces that isn't easily matched by anything you can buy today?

That's meant in a genuinely curious way not in a provocative way. 1212m was my first ever proper audio interface.

Whilst good, I never felt I was left wanting when I moved on to something else. Hence the curiosity.

The specs for the "m" range were very good... punching well above their price...
the flexibility of the patch mix, and at that time being able to offload some DSP to the card, thereby saving prcious CPU for other things....
but mainly the sound, well for me... and how about ADAT in/out

To match this quality today... $$$$$s... ;) The only thing I would replace mine with would be RME.

Coxy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:27 pm Whats so good about these interfaces that isn't easily matched by anything you can buy today?

That's meant in a genuinely curious way not in a provocative way. 1212m was my first ever proper audio interface.

Whilst good, I never felt I was left wanting when I moved on to something else. Hence the curiosity.
The specifications for the E-MU 1212m and 1616m are incredible for the price at the time and as stated you would need to spend thousands to get close to these cards. For example, the Apollo series by Universal Audio starts at around £2000. The Apollo series was designed by the engineers that created the E-MU 1616m/1212m after Creative dismantled E-MU and the engineers went to work for UA.

I have the cardbus (PCMCIA) version of the interface. Will this instructions work with that combination of hardware?

PCMCIA should work.
However, it seems that the Creative files replacing E-Mu ones (like ctasio64.dll) don't support 44.1 kHz sample rate. If I load a 44.1khz project into Cubase the sample rate changes to 44.1 kHz but the dock i/o channels are grayed (or actually redded) out and not working. 48 kHz will work, but the only way to recover is to stop the E-Mu Patchmix service (closing window isn't enough) and then run the Patchmix (you should save 48 kHz with both the PM session and Cubase project).

sherwoodsound wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:14 am This is a complete guide to setting up the E-MU 1212m/1616m audio interface on Windows 10 version 1903 and above.
Registered just to give a huge thank you to ClubHouseKey and sherwoodsound for this! I've just 'upgraded' from Windows 7 x64 to Windows 10 x64 in order to use an editing program that only supports Windows 10 (good old Adobe :bang:) and couldn't get my PCI 1616m working. Your step-by-step guide worked perfectly!

Big thanks to ClubHouseKey and Sherwoodsound...my 1616m now works again on my new W10 configuration...But I still have an issue I hadn't noticed before : All works normaly except the "monitor" settings on the Patchmix : The "mute" doesn'nt work, and the monitor volume neither...so I can't mute the speakers to work with the earphones like I did before...Someone had this this issue ? Again, a big Merci ! Cheers from Brittany. Chris

Thank you very much!
My 1616m is working again :)
chrisaudren wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:35 am ...But I still have an issue I hadn't noticed before : All works normaly except the "monitor" settings on the Patchmix : The "mute" doesn'nt work, and the monitor volume neither...
Hello. I tested and it works perfectly for me. 1616m, monitor channel routed to Dock Phones/Out 1 and Dock Out 2 (speakers).

I have another issue :) I try to use the mic for windows programs. Mic input line have an insert (send wave L/R host) and windows have the input (wave - E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)). But no mic sound in windows or any programs if i choose this as input. Anyone have idea for this?

Thanks! Installation worked for me. Had to use currentuser instead of localmachine. Hope I'm not going to regret that....

Thanks for this. Got my 1820m back up and running again.
I got a little confused about the instruction for people with E-MU 1820/1820m/0404 to 'rename the 2 instances of your device name in the EMU_Driver_Fix script'. For the benefit of anyone else who misunderstands this. After you have installed the EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA drivers, open up Device Manager and make a note what the device is called. For me it was 'E-MU E-DSP'. Now open up the 'EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1' in a text editor and change the 2 instances of "E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)" to whatever your device was called in the device manager.

THANK YOU, thank you, thank you! I've had Windows updates disabled on Windows 10 for the last year-and-a-half, because an update suddenly caused my 0404 to no longer work. Now I can run a fully updated copy of Win10 and continue to enjoy this excellent piece of kit. You guys are real heroes.

This is awesome. Although my emu walked the walk along time ago. It's really good to learn that people are doing this. I was forever mad at Creative (soundblaster) for killing one of the greatest. Had they done things right, their interfaces would dominate the project studio market and more. It's should of been the perfect match up.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

I've used the Emu 1820m for so long, I was fully expecting to change interfaces when the 1903 update caused the unit to stop working. Thanks so much for this patch!

mitchiemasha, I notice you are using a CS2x. I wrote an editing interface which allows drag-and-drop voice stacking and expands the number of "layers" which can be used simultaneously. This was many years ago, but I believe it still works under compatibility mode. You are welcome to a copy if you have an interest. Just PM me.

I have been using the emu 1820m since 2006. I believed at the time I bought it it was the closest thing to Pro Tools you could get. It is my belief, I know its "old school now" that dedicated hardware for recording to computer is superior. I have made highly professional recordings with these devices.
Thank you for adding a little more life to my emu's. And I hope windows 10 don't mess it up again!
:hyper: :pray: :love:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”