3am - quititit (guitar+modular synth)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXg-aeATWzo
http://soundcloud.com/justin3am/quititit
Another one-take jam. This time, I play a few notes on the guitar (while doing my best not to look at the camera, :lol:). I'm not that good but it provided the ambience I was looking for. The modular pretty much plays itself in this one. Kinda like auto-accompaniment. :hihi:

I thought that the mix sounded okay last night (at 2am) but now I think droney synth sound is too loud. Oh well...

Suprisingly it gets together quite nicely. If you recorded it as a multitrack and edited a bit, coould be really good ambient.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Blimey, lots of flashing stuff, quite mesmeric. I was more disturbed by the fact that you do appear (at least from the side) to look unnervingly like me. :o :hihi: You handsome chap...

Thanks for listening!
DJ Warmonger wrote:If you recorded it as a multitrack and edited a bit, coould be really good ambient.
I did a multitrack recording at the same time, so I'll probably edit and remix it later. Maybe after doing a few more of these I'll put together an EP or something.
donkey tugger wrote:I was more disturbed by the fact that you do appear (at least from the side) to look unnervingly like me.
Dad? Is that you?! :lol:

For me, the guitar didnt work. I think it was the FX more than anything, and it was a bit forward in the mix. I'd prob bring it down a tad, smooth the verb out quite a bit (less metallic). The modular stuff was nice, tho it did seem a bit long imo.

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree it's too long. I had only planned on doing a 5min thing but I guess I got in the zone.

I listened and didn't watch. :wink:

The sounds were really nice. Interesting and highly varied. Even though the piece has a loose structure, it kept my interest throughout. I think you have the implicit rhythm thing going on. I've noticed in some Autechre pieces. What's left unsaid in the tune gets filled in by your brain.

Nice one.

Thanks, I appreciate the Autechre reference but they are much more skilled than I. Everything is clocked to a master tempo, so yeah things sync up occasionally. I had to play to a click track to keep in time (didn't do much good though). :hihi:

I'm glad that it could be the kind of listen where your mind fills in the spaces. I always enjoy that feeling.

cool stuff, its like a cv seq with an evolution, and I like getting the guitar involved with mass effect it can become a puzzle piece. man I dreamed of a room like that in 1977 when I went to steves music in toronto, with limited funds I ended the day with a pro one politely married to a big muff and a panasonic drum machine, yup panasonic had a drum machine, lol, it could glitch too if you held the 3 buttons down together, I thought I'd stepped into the future

Very Nice, I love the fact it has a life of it's own and thought the guitar was a great contrast.

Thanks a lot for listening guys.

For a single-take jam, I think this turned out very well. I don't think there's anything wrong with the drone synth level. It's got a full sound that adds energy to the piece. I loved the percussion which, in places sounded almost like it could have been generated by a mere mortal, with a Mastelotto-type vibe from the ProjeKct 4 stuff in '98-'99. The guitar worked well, both musically and within the mix.

Good work :)

Thanks! I don't do this kind of thing very often so I appreciate the feedback. The drum pattern is simple but the trigger signals are compared and modified with digital logic, to get more variation. Also modulated delays. :)

I don't think I've heard that King Crimson Projekcts stuff before. Very interesting! I saw King Crimson, with Tool in 2001. It was a great show.

Wow, you have lots of cool gear that makes a fabulous sound.
Great use of guitar adds nicely to the feel...
Love the beeps...
Enjoying this as I cool down after hot day...
Mix sounds good to me. Not sure which bit you thought was too loud.
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

You skirted the right side of random all the way through there! :D

The quirky percussive synths sound really good. The guitar gels perfectly.

Actually I was thinking that it sounded like Dr Who meets the original Borderlands OST.

Well played sir! :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”