Retro-inspired: Amaterasu

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My new retro-inspired release just hit the internet. I think I'm moving towards a genre like Retrowave/Synthwave, or something similar.

https://soundcloud.com/eltorden/amaterasu

I tried mastering it myself this time around. It took forever...
Thanks for the listen! Any feedback is most welcome! :)

Hey,

I enjoyed the main synth riff a lot. Big, chunky energetic sound. The husky vocals are also nice. But the piano intro does not go well with this part, it's almost out of character, and the transition from the piano to the synth stuff is too abrupt, not sure if it works that well. A transition could be made without spoiling that instant punchy beginning of the synth line and drums.

However, the piano works well with the full mix, with the synth bass and drums.

I liked the ending, cool synth plucks.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:Hey,

I enjoyed the main synth riff a lot. Big, chunky energetic sound. The husky vocals are also nice. But the piano intro does not go well with this part, it's almost out of character, and the transition from the piano to the synth stuff is too abrupt, not sure if it works that well. A transition could be made without spoiling that instant punchy beginning of the synth line and drums.

However, the piano works well with the full mix, with the synth bass and drums.

I liked the ending, cool synth plucks.
Thanks for your thoughtful critique. While producing this track I was pondering if I should introduce a transitional effect after the piano. I decided it was ok as it was, but that might have been a result of listening to it so many times that it no longer sounded strange to me (in the middle quieter break-like part, I did use a cymbal transition which I feel works nicely) .

Maybe I should have gone with a different intro all together. It is in a way out of character as you say, and it might be that listeners are lost within the first minute since the real feel of the track does not kick in until then.

Again, thanks! Food for thought.

Return to “Music Cafe”