Fascination Street : The Cure remake, without the suck!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was a big fan of The Cure back in the late 80's and early 90's. I recently listened to one of my favorites, Fascination Street, and I was shocked to discover that it sounded like it was produced by a garage full of monkeys - especially the last minute or two, which featured about ten different parts playing at once. Unless you just really, really like Robert Smith's lugubrious vocals, I think anyone who liked the original will enjoy my remake.

Downloads are enabled for the 320 kbps mp3!

https://soundcloud.com/eric-danger/fascination-street
User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Display Options > Show Signatures (No)

Your version is a bit more Depeche Mode, I'd say. I used to have a rather Robert Smith-esque voice, but I've lost most of that high range... otherwise I'd have been tempted to record some vocals for you. ;)

I'm not sure I agree with any part of your assessment of the original version though.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: I'm not sure I agree with any part of your assessment of the original version though.
"Garage full of monkeys" may be a bit of hyperbole, but compared to the quality one would expect from a recently produced track, the original leaves a definite aftertaste of feces. Compared to other tracks produced around the same time, it's not so bad. But I'm not comparing it to those tracks.
User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Display Options > Show Signatures (No)

Doesnt come close to living up to your opinion of it. If you claim 'remake without the suck,' its unwarranted hubris when what present is lifeless, banal, and constipated compared to the original. :shrug: I really hope the seasick dynamics are a soundcloud artefact.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

You are hitting wrong notes sometimes.
The synths sound cheap, lifeless and boring.
The arrangement is very basic and uninteresting.
It has almost nothing to do with the original track, I wouldn't even guess what it is if you didn't write it in the OP.

I usually try to write something positive in the music cafe comments or don't make any comments at all when I don't hear anything to my liking but your weird full of yourself attitude pushed me to write this.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Your version sounds like done in too short time. If you are a fan and also a musician, you should take much more care about sounds. You don't give me the Cure feeling - it's not just notes set in a DAW. ;)

Disintegration Cover Contest would be fun, cos I love this song, but no time for sideprojects before my album is ready... lol

Would be interesting to know, "what" version u was listening to. I have a really nice ritual every springtime. The first warm day of the year, you can definately smell it's spring now and the winter is over, I load my MP3 player with the Entreat album and do a looong walk in town, watchin' all the people in the street with happy faces 'n' feelin' the first warm breeze on my skin.

I guess you made a capital error: You listened to the wrong Disintegration Version. lol

A big, big problem with Cure is, the songs need a special tempo, but often The Band miss it. Ther's a magic moment and otherwise they will not work.

It's like Tears for Fears... Ther IS only the California Concert (and DVD). Don't trust in Studioshit! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPXoPpULOo

Return to “Music Cafe”