My week in ambience, noise, breakbeats, samples and more noise.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Knocked out a couple of tracks this week that I'm pretty happy with. The first one I tried to make an ambient track and it turned into something else. I've been getting a lot of mileage out of the Waves GTR stomp boxes since I picked that up on sale a month ago. Lots of that here.

https://soundcloud.com/neverwhere2410/t ... l-death-v2

The next one I wanted to try and write something at a faster tempo than I've been doing for a while and play with Unfiltered Audio Indent since I just grabbed that... So... Noise. And some 808 samples.

https://soundcloud.com/neverwhere2410/t ... -of-god-v2

Criticism of all flavors would be very much appreciated.

The first track felt like it was teasing me through that first half ("I'm going to kick into some regular drumming now... Psych!!! Just kidding!"). I liked the addition of the melodic line. When it kicked into some regular rhythm, it really improved for me. I'm not sure if I want the first half changed or if I just need to get used to the progression here. I'm not a fan of speech samples (especially pitched unnaturally), so I could really do without those. But that's taste, I guess. The sounds are otherwise interesting. Is the ending an intended "glitchy cutout"? It seems uncertain of whether it's intended to be that or just stops.

The second one has a chaos that I want to enjoy but the pieces don't form a substantial solid whole for me. I like the idea though. Maybe the dominant pulsing of each chaotic element needs to be unified a bit. I wasn't keen on the rapid cycling dance-style synth introduced in the middle and I had more difficulty with the speech clips in this one than the first one. This one ends without a clearly intended resolution, too, so I am suspecting these endings might not be entirely thought out as part of the song structures (?). I'm a fan of solid endings as intentional devices rather than fades or abrupt "the project stops here" stops. Even if the ending is a brutal stopping point, it should feel like the song has wrapped up and the cutoff should have a feeling of rudeness, rather than "oops".

Sorry if my comments aren't so helpful. I think my tastes aren't quite aligned with yours, though I think we're interested in some similar things and I like the intensity and edge in your stuff.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Music Cafe”