Xenome - Out There

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys and girls.

I would love to get your opinion on my new track. I'm a huge ODESZA fan so you might hear some influences here and there :) Don't hold back and be honest of what you think of it.

Take a listen below...

https://soundcloud.com/xenome/out-there

Track info: 10.8 MB, 320 KBPS, .mp3

Nice work, and it sounds nice on my cheap ass home stereo which i got my laptop plugged into.

How long did it take you to make?
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:Nice work, and it sounds nice on my cheap ass home stereo which i got my laptop plugged into.

How long did it take you to make?
Thanks a lot! I made this over the course of two months; can't say how many hours went into it though...

Awesome work, I think the idea is pretty cool and I like the mix. I feel like the vocals could be a bit more present (louder) and less dry. I am disappointed that you didn't modulate your melody a bit more though, I feel like you could have brought to song to another level if you added a bridge section with another chord progression - for example moving the progression to BbM - Dm - FM (I believe)

mrotsdnaS - eduraD wrote:Awesome work, I think the idea is pretty cool and I like the mix. I feel like the vocals could be a bit more present (louder) and less dry. I am disappointed that you didn't modulate your melody a bit more though, I feel like you could have brought to song to another level if you added a bridge section with another chord progression - for example moving the progression to BbM - Dm - FM (I believe)
Wow, thanks for the detailed response. I felt that the vocals didn't need to be louder than this since they're generally kind of gibberish (due to the slicing and rearranging).

I'll remember to increase the variety in chords for my next track!

good song, has just enough variation to keep it interesting, unfortunately the sidechain compression on the pads doesnt
work for me, it sounds unnatural and annoying. at some points it gets too muddy as well.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I agree with Layzer. Good tune, but the sidechain compression on the pads is annoying and not needed. If you think you really need it, keep the compressor release time around something like less than 20 milliseconds. That's enough time for the kick to go through. But realistically, people can hear multiple sounds together; it won't get too muddy with the kick and pads going at the same time. Just be sure to use a transparent limiter on the master out.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

Appreciate the feedback guys, keep it coming :tu: I personally liked the overdone sidechain compression as an "artistic" choice, but I can also understand the complaints about it.

Xenome wrote:Appreciate the feedback guys, keep it coming :tu: I personally liked the overdone sidechain compression as an "artistic" choice, but I can also understand the complaints about it.
oh? so you like someone at the amplifier twisting the volume up and down while you are trying
to listen to an otherwise good song? sidechain compression is about as enjoyable as getting a
spotlight shined in your face while trying to watch a good movie. :o
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Ok thanks, I guess.

Return to “Music Cafe”