Lost in Deep Space - Atmospheric Breaks

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! Here is a track inspired by classic progressive breaks sound, like Way Out West, Fretwell or Airwave. Hope someone around here digs this style :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/deep-space

It is mixed mainly with headphones, maybe I redo some mixing later - so any kinds of comments concerning the mixing flaws would be very useful.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

i liked the sound effects on this. the pads and bass were nice too. only micro complaint may be...and i know i sound like a broken record here.... but it has a little too much compression to my ears. remember, heavy compression destroys dynamic range which renders peaking instruments like the kick drum flat, lifeless and muddy. 3:49-5:14 was my fav part :p
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Layzer, thank you! :)

Indeed, way possible that it's overcompressed, because I'm coming from EDM background where you just can't have too much compression :wink:

recursive one wrote: I'm coming from EDM background where you just can't have too much compression :wink:
i gotta disagree, even in EDM overcompression is distorted and ugly. its like trying to admire a beautiful painting but someone has a spotlight in your eyes. and the loudness wars go on and on...... :scared:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

It was a joke of sorts about EDM and "never too much compression" - it seems to be a common misconception among amateur EDM makers that brutal overcompression is a key to loudness comparable to commercially released tracks.

Your remark about too much compression in my song was actually quite useful. I listened to it with fresh ears and also understood that it needs more accurate settings in the mastering chain.

Return to “Music Cafe”