Porthole 3 completed/set 'Aftermath' completed (all-in-one cut).

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

/delete/
not sure where this is going but I like it in itself. warning: obvious quote is obvious
Last edited by jancivil on Sat May 02, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

By obvious quote, you meant the USA national anthem?

I like the sounds in this. I liked the chaos. Keep going. :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Yeah, I did another thing the other day where the sound of it and Star-Spangled Banner, Hendrix at Woodstock was inescapable and I did the SOL MI DO it begins with for laughs.
Here I had a minute with the same setup and blew it with that. I may stay with it. This was NOT AT ALL what I intended to do but the sounds were so hot I went with teh world blowing up essentially.

Well cool sounds are cool sounds :-)

Sometimes when I'm doing improv at a keyboard, some well known tune will show up and it is either funny or annoying. Funny when it's a loved tune or cartoon reference. Annoying when it's a song I hate (the last one was "don't worry, be happy").

But anyway, I stand by my original comment: keep going. Not in terms of playing the star spangled banner, but in terms of continuing to explore that fragment of sound.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

yeah, no, if I was going to play the tune actually I will have done it already. that may already be too long a quote. I'd rather keep it than get involved in replacing it.
I had the idea to do something a bit more sober but a couple of changes made the Kontour patch go wambly and then the Skanner preset I had no experience of before made matters worse.
The thing is, is the Skanner result axmodently reflected the feedback result so felicitously that I want to keep that at least. painted into a corner somewhat..
thanks for comments

Sounds great. I can see that you're going to have "fun" with this. One way or another. Wait for the paint to dry, get some food, evaluate.....

Good work :)

▹ two more sections. Kind of ABAC now.
insertionism in the EP solo section may be inevitable but this basically the compo. up to this point of 'D'.

mysterioso Bb lydian short fade-in;
goes wrong, violent eruption and reference to Porthole 2;
mysterioso 'aftermath' dying out; back to Bb lydian but a nostalgic honor vibe [orchestral] and brief statement of theme cf., Windowpane 2 (ending basically same as Windowpane 2's);
E.Piano solo section and transformation of thematic material cf., Windowpane 3.
D will deal with the motif of Windowpane 2 more directly and move into Windowpane 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNfQ2Aud_-Q

edit = new upload, add some percussion on the EP solo sec.
edit = complicated sound design went wrong on render, replace.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

This section is really coming together now. The piano section is a great contract to the earlier section, and turns quite jazzy/funky towards the end, like George.

In my mind I was moving towards the harmonic ideas in that while working on the thing before it and on reflection I got out of there too early, I was anxious to see what I would do.
They're related, so it's good to have done that; now I'm going to open up a little more space for the more gooey ideas to play out.

thx

This is better than the earlier render :tu: Oh yeah. That "short fade in" is very nice indeed.

thx agin. The 2 notes via Kontour are now very musical. I had to commit it to audio and compare, two notes from two different renders. The first thing I did after you pointed out the rather awful result was totally different, with all of this harmonic content that was not there at all. That's after I had to recover the .ens, which is probably a problem created by cleaning the OS too well. But it's pretty much like unplugging a modular synthesizer and the thing you had is gone. "And I'll never have that recipe AGAIN!"

D is so far very different than my vague imaginings. I let my subconscious work on it along with vague ideas of shapes and what I played is a departure for me;
reminds me of Satie. Windowpane 3 is very satisfying out of Porthole 3 if it ends here, but it's not an ending in itself.

'D' = short coda, end

this sec is just e.piano, standup bass, drums, vibes

edit: is gone forever in this edit

definitive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ2k8AT5YXc
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

This is quite a journey. It gave me 2001 (the movie) vibes, after Bowman has travelled through the Stargate with the more reverbed earlier parts reminding me of the journey and the drier, jazz section at the end recalling images of of the Louis XVI bedroom towards the end of the film.

I still haven't listened to the complete set. I was going to wait until it's complete.

It's complete. The end of this into W3 I'm really happy with.

t.y

the timings from one to the other are so right that I may cut a single track out of it, the changes via YT don't really carry it.
It's a single composition...

Return to “Music Cafe”