Sun Shines Brighter (synthpop instrumental) - rev. Nov. 11, 2014

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EDIT: Revised mix, November 11 -- jump here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5934158

===============
Just finished this one, and would be grateful for any and all feedback.

My starting point was wanting to write a tune with an uptempo shuffle or triplet feel. Eventually just set up my Logic project with 12/8 meter. All synth sounds programmed from scratch in Tone2 Nemesis and Electra2, drums are Rob Papen Punch, and that's it.

Enjoy! :party:

https://soundcloud.com/paul-nauert/sun-shines-brighter
Last edited by PaulSC on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you like 80s retro sounds, check out my latest tune…

Good track, and definitely pleasant and upbeat in its mood. I think you should record some vocals for it! Or, if you would prefer to keep it synth-only, you might consider adding some additional harmony to the main lead (you do that a bit a times, but I feel like you could do it more without making the track feel too crowded).

This is the one of not so many synth pieces that has melody!!
I admire that. Please continue developing your ability to write melodic music.

davidstiles wrote:Good track, and definitely pleasant and upbeat in its mood. I think you should record some vocals for it! Or, if you would prefer to keep it synth-only, you might consider adding some additional harmony to the main lead (you do that a bit a times, but I feel like you could do it more without making the track feel too crowded).
Thanks, glad you enjoyed. You are absolutely right, it's constructed like a song, with a synth lead standing in for an obvious lead-vocal part. I have zero talent as a lyricist, so I have settled on this approach; but I would enjoy collaborating with someone who could provide words and sing for me. Someday soon, I hope!

Meanwhile, I can see how adding some harmony parts could enhance this track. I'll give it a try.

sfiks wrote:This is the one of not so many synth pieces that has melody!!
I admire that. Please continue developing your ability to write melodic music.
Thank you, sfiks. While I enjoy a wide range of musical styles -- some melodic, others less so -- the music I'm writing these days is definitely a reflection of my love of conventional songcraft, and of the synth programming and arrangements of Vince Clarke in particular.

New version:
  • brighter, punchier handclaps, also tweaked drum reverb.
  • added subtle harmonic support to melodic lead during second "verse".
  • rebalanced mix in second "chorus" to bring out counter-melody.
  • re-designed percussion sound that runs throughout coda/outro.

Productive? Counter-productive?

https://soundcloud.com/paul-nauert/sun- ... e-download

For the most part, productive. I think the track now develops better, and that's mainly due to the improved harmony and counterpoint. The one thing I'm not so sure about is the percussion in the intro. I think I liked the original mix better for the first 30 seconds or so.

Return to “Music Cafe”