Allomerus - What's the Matter?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What’s the Matter?
(Original Lyrics and Music by Kaiboard and John Wegner)
Audio and video versions...

https://soundcloud.com/allomerus/whats-the-matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n13KbAyli0Y

John Wegner: Guitar, Vocals, Video.
Kaiboard: Keyboards, Audio. (Including some fabulous old synths)
Lori Oz: Vocals
Paul Wegner: Drums and Percussion

This track started off as a collaboration between Kaiboard and myself where we wanted to create an instrumental about Dark Matter. After much swapping of music the whole thing somehow morphed into a prog epic meets Rock Opera with an evil behind the scenes manipulator (Dark Matter) and a glamorous Prima Donna (Light Matter), who is, of course, the star of the show. You can imagine how excited we were when Lori Oz agreed to join our collaboration as the glamorous star with the beautiful voice. Perfect. Finally Paul, my brother and a fabulous drummer, brought the track to life with his skilful drumming and percussion.

I would like to thank Kai, Lori and Paul for the fabulous enthusiasm and talent they have brought to this track and video. It has been a joy working on this collaboration with them!

Lyrics:
=======
I am the Show
Master

I’m your Phoenix
Prima donna display
I rose from the ashes
Brilliant in every way
Spectacular I’m the show
There’s nothing else to see
All consuming I’m the show
All you’ll ever need is me

I’m your nova
Your radiant bouquet
You can’t ignore me
I write the screenplay
Spectacular I’m the show
Explanations Guaranteed
Dramatic I’m the show
All you’ll ever need is me

You thought you had the final theory
You thought you understood it all
Something doesn’t make sense
Seems you've hit another wall
Intellectual neanderthals

I am working behind the scenes
You are my little plaything
I am the master of the stage
I am controlling everything
I am pulling the strings

Is there someone there?
Hello is there someone there?
Not in my screenplay!

Slinking in the empty spaces
With fingers in every pie
Am I a Wimp or am I Macho
You will never classify me

I control you get away from me
I control you you can’t see me

I control you

I’m am the show

Feel free to checkout Kai and Lori’s pages:
http://www.fandalism.com/kaiboard
http://www.fandalism.com/luckygirlvt

http://www.6packband.de/
http://www.loriozmusic.com/
http://allomerus.com

We would also like to acknowledge NASA and “The Millennium Simulation Project” for allowing the public to access their fabulous videos which we used to make the video.
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Somehow you managed to pull off a rock opera about dark matter - an impenetrable physics theory. I think the music is uniformly excellent; it develops in interesting ways and holds up to multiple listens. Kaiboard is a very welcome addition filling out the sound with varied and tasteful keyboard parts. The mixing and production is first rate. The video is well done too.

On the downside, I am not completely sold on Lori's singing. I also thought the lyrical characterizations of light and dark matter were somewhat comic booky.

Overall, a big thumbs up. :tu:

wow, wow, wow! what a team of talent that came together here!
the ride was sublime and entrancing to the end.
i thought lori's voice was nice, though a bit too reverberated at times.
the rest of the production was tight and on the money.
the video went well with the song.
very much enjoyed! nice work everyone :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Frantz wrote:Somehow you managed to pull off a rock opera about dark matter - an impenetrable physics theory. I think the music is uniformly excellent; it develops in interesting ways and holds up to multiple listens. Kaiboard is a very welcome addition filling out the sound with varied and tasteful keyboard parts. The mixing and production is first rate. The video is well done too.

On the downside, I am not completely sold on Lori's singing. I also thought the lyrical characterizations of light and dark matter were somewhat comic booky.

Overall, a big thumbs up. :tu:
Thanks Frantz. This was one of those tracks that just grew quickly and was not planned. We just had fun seeing where it could go and challenging each other. Glad you liked it.
Bandcamp

layzer wrote:wow, wow, wow! what a team of talent that came together here!
the ride was sublime and entrancing to the end.
i thought lori's voice was nice, though a bit too reverberated at times.
the rest of the production was tight and on the money.
the video went well with the song.
very much enjoyed! nice work everyone :tu:
Thanks Layzer! :)
With the video it was my chance to play with "Motion 5" which I hadn't really used before. It's very powerful, got a bit carried away with it...
Bandcamp

This has definitely got the all of the Prog ingredients, and an international supergroup to boot. I liked the soft intro section with the female vox leading into a 'tron section which certainly pushed my Genesis button. That was followed by a great transition into the Hammond T section (Organ Banks), which, in turn led into a great synth synth solo and an excellent transition into that piano piece accompanied by those ghostly flutes. The final part has a very full sound with the lead guitar, synths and drums going full-tilt. This was a very ambitious track and I think it worked very well.

Good work :)

No, no no no, this is not Marillion....this is John, Paul, Kaiboard and Lori!
Phantastic :tu: :tu: :tu:
:phones:

All the best
M.

there's a lot of great stuff in here. kudos!

seismic1 wrote:This has definitely got the all of the Prog ingredients, and an international supergroup to boot. I liked the soft intro section with the female vox leading into a 'tron section which certainly pushed my Genesis button. That was followed by a great transition into the Hammond T section (Organ Banks), which, in turn led into a great synth synth solo and an excellent transition into that piano piece accompanied by those ghostly flutes. The final part has a very full sound with the lead guitar, synths and drums going full-tilt. This was a very ambitious track and I think it worked very well.

Good work :)
Thanks Tim!
We just went for it and it sort of grew organically. Kaiboard is certainly a great player and composer. He came up with lovely moments...
:-)
Bandcamp

M.Brösel wrote:No, no no no, this is not Marillion....this is John, Paul, Kaiboard and Lori!
Phantastic :tu: :tu: :tu:
:phones:

All the best
M.
Thanks M. :)
Bandcamp

mrblitz wrote:there's a lot of great stuff in here. kudos!
Thanks mrblitz! We certainly went a bit crazy adding more and more ...
I was having a lot of fun playing with my new me-80. Hence the weird guitar in the wild section. :)
Bandcamp

Holy wow John! Congrats to you and your troupe for putting this together. Defo heard a big tip o the hat to Genesis in this piece… the organ, the mellotron, the synth leads, the rhythms.

I think the comic book comment above is accurate, but I found it quite well suited to the production. Just as likely my old ears, but I found the mix a wee bit muffled sounding.

That me-80 sure looks sweet… looking forward to more of that!

:tu:
Image Image

polyslax wrote:Holy wow John! Congrats to you and your troupe for putting this together. Defo heard a big tip o the hat to Genesis in this piece… the organ, the mellotron, the synth leads, the rhythms.

I think the comic book comment above is accurate, but I found it quite well suited to the production. Just as likely my old ears, but I found the mix a wee bit muffled sounding.

That me-80 sure looks sweet… looking forward to more of that!

:tu:
Hi Matt! Thanks for the comments, we did end up doing a bit of a genesis (even the perverse story telling). I thought the e-bow was a bit out there with two random harmony lines but then Genesis did do 'Silent sorrow in empty boats'... :)
Bandcamp

what a gigantic project :clap: :clap: :pray: ...alone the Music, and then the Video on top. I mostly liked the guitar and Keyboard solos, the harmonies and the embedment in space Pictures :borg:

big compliment to all participants!

TrekStar wrote:what a gigantic project :clap: :clap: :pray: ...alone the Music, and then the Video on top. I mostly liked the guitar and Keyboard solos, the harmonies and the embedment in space Pictures :borg:

big compliment to all participants!
Thanks TrekStar! We like space too and so it was a no brainer to do a track about it, although the cabaret/mini-rock opera angle to the lyrics was not in the original plan! Glad you enjoyed it! :)
Bandcamp

Return to “Music Cafe”