F4F: How can I reach the next level with my music?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I've been producing for a while now, and I currently struggle to reach the next level with my music.
I find it hard since I feel I no longer can simply step back and criticize my own music, so I thought I'd leave it to you.

Give feedback to my tracks, especially the "Oh Wait"-track and my Dada Life remix.
Be harsh if that's what you think is necessary.
How do you think my music can reach the next level?

The tracks are not mixed nor mastered.

Here's the link to my Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/steve-hilo

Thanks!

mixing is probably a good start. maybe add more 'swing'. also, less 8ths/16ths and a few more 664 996 or 18/18/12 type of patterns in the non-kick parts. (also variate with 646 466 969 699 181218 121818). also straight trips/sixes. it sounds pretty good. maybe just a few more variations. vocal samples. guitar. organ. woarh woarh woarh dub-bass sections.

Thank you! I'll se what I can do :)
Anyone with further inputs?

mrblitz wrote:mixing is probably a good start. maybe add more 'swing'. also, less 8ths/16ths and a few more 664 996 or 18/18/12 type of patterns in the non-kick parts. (also variate with 646 466 969 699 181218 121818). also straight trips/sixes. it sounds pretty good. maybe just a few more variations. vocal samples. guitar. organ. woarh woarh woarh dub-bass sections.
he's a techno guy ... do you want to transform him into a rock/blues/country mate? :hihi:

i don't know, what the next level is, not even, when i meditate (do i meditate? :scared: ). what's always useful, be it Techno, Pop or whatever, is to get some atmosphere/depht with different reverb and delay settings. some variation doesn't hurt either. :)
"It dreamed itself along"

Only you can decide what your "next level" will be. These forums can be great places to get feedback, but ultimately, asking a bunch of musos (myself included) where to go with your music is guaranteed to result in mediocrity.

If there appears to be no way forwards, take a break. Listen to some new music. Challenge yourself. Then come back to your work.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Groove! Add swing or my brain will froze still forever.
he's a techno guy ... do you want to transform him into a rock/blues/country mate?
In fact the crazy swing is the only thing you need to get catchy techno. This is supposed to be dance music, not metronome.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

lol... well, the 'add guitar/organ' had me wondering 'am i trying to turn this guy into son of mrblitz?'... but the 'swing' and rhythm suggestions are techno-oriented. in listening to a couple of these here pieces, i just heard a lot of machine-like 8ths and then a few 16ths and then some other, faster bits which this mind couldn't exactly discern; but mostly 'machine-like 8ths' and thought that those needed to be broken up a bit.

also, i always like vocals; it doesn't matter what kind of music. purely instrumentals have a seriously tough row to hoe in capturing listener interest. a little something (sweet nothing?) from a sensuous lady's voice really adds to this type of music; or sci-fi references or whatever.

and wobble bass sections (aside from being among the greatest things ever) are very important these days. i also find that wobble bass is the most difficult to dial in a great tone; so it's a worthwhile synthesis exercise in and of itself.

ymmv

Thanks for the inputs, I'll see where I can add more swing to my tracks. Though do you have any tracks to share where the swing is more obvious so I get the idea of it?
Anyway, anything else more than the swing?

swing: basically, it's like when your 8ths or 16ths get 'scrunched/stretched' so they're kind of 88.88.88. instead of 8888888... but see, it can kind of live in the area 'between trips and duos/quads'. in the 'triplet' or 'trip' aspect, it's as straightforward as removing every 3rd hit. 88.88.88.88. etc... but to reiterate, in some of these great club tracks, the swing is in another place, somewhere between rigid trips and straightforward 8ths/16ths.

now, i've never actually made an entirely satisfactory 'swing bit' for a '4 on the floor' beat (getting a good swing meshed into 4-on-the-floor is on my 'lifelong to-do list'); anyway, when i hear someone else do it well, it's like, 'right on dude!' ... usually, the swing is in the hats/snares.

the basic thing is to insert 'odd' rhythms without disrupting the groove; better yet, insert odd rhythms that make something even groovier.

ymmv

mellotronaut wrote:
mrblitz wrote:mixing is probably a good start. maybe add more 'swing'. also, less 8ths/16ths and a few more 664 996 or 18/18/12 type of patterns in the non-kick parts. (also variate with 646 466 969 699 181218 121818). also straight trips/sixes. it sounds pretty good. maybe just a few more variations. vocal samples. guitar. organ. woarh woarh woarh dub-bass sections.
he's a techno guy ... do you want to transform him into a rock/blues/country mate? :hihi:

i don't know, what the next level is, not even, when i meditate (do i meditate? :scared: ). what's always useful, be it Techno, Pop or whatever, is to get some atmosphere/depht with different reverb and delay settings. some variation doesn't hurt either. :)

I second reverb. Maybe even on the kick. See how it sounds. Try running multiple channels through one reverb send to "glue" parts into the same room.

Improve your structure ,define the intro main , second main ,breakdowns, outros more.Work on getting some more sonically interesting sounds.Your tracks aren't bad they just need more groove and structure as others have mentioned ,new and interesting sounds should come in at each section to hold the listeners attention.Your tracks have a tech house vibe but are using techno structures , it clashes some what.First decide what type of track you want to make and then listen and i mean really listen to tracks in that style that you love and how they are constructed.Write down how many bars there are in each section , when are new sounds introduced.On production every sound in your track needs to have a place in the mix.EQ everything ,pan elements ,push things forward and back with reverb delays and fx. Above all music needs to be convincing.After you have finished a track listen to it as a whole and ask yourself are you convinced.Keep pushing
cheers Risome
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

I feel I'd still need a reference track for your ideas on the swing so I can get it into my head and really understand it all.

All you need is a marketing manager. Your music is above the minimum viable standard. Beyond that only marketing is needed.

I don't see problems in the mix etc. It needs only the right people pushing it a bit, so it's more in the marketing department and to get more listeners.
I'm not sure if it fits Armada or Above & Beyond so it depends a bit of the style. So the next level is IMO more to refine the own style (make more tracks, try different things with every new track,...), collect fans, make connection to other successful artists/producers in this genre and get some plays on internet radio stations etc.

Anyway, good work and some strong tracks! Wish you much luck.

Return to “Music Cafe”