Someday Sessions (Watch me make music)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SO I'm starting this thing called Someday Sessions. Basically I'll sit down on some random day and record me working on a song, upload the song and then upload the video that night.

So here be the first of hopefully many to come:

https://soundcloud.com/dakkra/someday-s ... al-mixdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CnFr9_UYoU
Last edited by dakkra on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

oh! years ago I did a similar thing, called it "morning sessions" its really nice to do something like this. I liked the track a lot, looking forward to watch de video :)

Video posted! See original post.
My Setup.

I love shit like this.

I probably watch more videos on how to be a 'great producer', than I do working on being a great producer.

I suggested a sort of audio equivalent of the speed modeling threads that you get sometimes on the 3D rendering sites. You start with a basic brief and the quickest to completion wins the contest. They tend to run for about 2-3 hours. No one can keep concentration for more than that in one go. Obviously the end result has to be good as well. I think maybe Bay Raitt of LOTR fame started it. I'm probably wrong.

No one was interested at KVR. It's ok. Maybe today with skype and stuff like that it would be easier. I don't have skype and would have no clue how to set this up, but still, it might be fun for someone.

I often start with a blank canvas and come up with a finished mastered track within three hours. What can I say? I'm just a hack! ;-)

Obviously the tracks aren't as good as they could be. But I've lost count of the amount of tracks I have spent three working weeks on, and they aren't very good. Law of diminishing returns. Don't know why I'm going on about this. Slightly different thing.

But yeah, more of this type of thing. It helps, if you are going to talk, that you don't have a really whiny cheese grater voice, and sometimes that is hard to judge yourself so you have to take council from a trusted friend. But the good thing with music vids is often the music speaks for itself and you can see what is going on as you mouse about in Logic or whatever.

I find with all those 'producer' videos these days that they don't really tell me anything I don't already know. It's always a better alternative to watch someone just go off on one and just do what they do, I find.

So many vids on utube of painting by numbers music tracks. Yeah, we know. What I'm trying to say is this thing has a lot of scope and a lot of the field just hasn't been explored yet. It's under all our noses, but we're too busy talking shit on internet forums.

Umm...

Here is one of Bay's videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubgvomRTW80

It would be kind of cool to do something similar in an audio vein. It would help to teach noobs production tricks, it would show off and promote plugins in a real world scenario, and a few of us could get to show off about just how appalingly bad our music is!

It's win/win.

That video is pretty fast, but I'm hoping you can just work your mind around the concept and be adaptive. Obviously for audio, allowances would have to be made.

Er, don't mind me. Forget I said anything.

dakkra, that's a cool idea. I'd be interested.

See, 2 hours is TOO LONG.

Unless you are Aphex Twin, no one in their right mind is going to sit through that. Well, they might, but you know..

The problem is there is no way to speed it up like the 3D video coz it wouldn't make sense.

At least talk a bit or give some guidelines as to why you are doing what you are doing. What software you are using and why etc..

I can listen to some random bloke make a drum and bass track for 10 minutes and learn something to use myself, but in your video it's much harder to pick up on what is going on.

Just some thoughts. Like I said, don't mind me.

codec_spurt wrote:See, 2 hours is TOO LONG.

Unless you are Aphex Twin, no one in their right mind is going to sit through that. Well, they might, but you know..

The problem is there is no way to speed it up like the 3D video coz it wouldn't make sense.

At least talk a bit or give some guidelines as to why you are doing what you are doing. What software you are using and why etc..

I can listen to some random bloke make a drum and bass track for 10 minutes and learn something to use myself, but in your video it's much harder to pick up on what is going on.

Just some thoughts. Like I said, don't mind me.
Haha I was thinking 2 hours of near "blind audio" would be a bit dry. When I have a decent microphone to use i'll start commentating while I work. The reason why it's 2 hours as compared to a "quickly make a professional song" deal is because these sessions are meant to show a "natural" workflow. Basically to just record a sit down session with me and my computer playing with noise machines that eventually (hopefully) turn into a song.

We'll see where this goes. I'll consider your ideas from your previous post as well!

Dakkra
My Setup.

Todays session (these wont be daily but I had time) was done live so hopefully YT won't do anything funny to it

https://soundcloud.com/dakkra/someday-s ... ve-mixdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRg-4_H0yBc
My Setup.

My Setup.

Hey, this is really good!

I do feel like its really long but it is a process from zero, so its okay. Maybe you can cut the time that you spend opening vst and preparing them, that could work accelerated with out losing the flow. The sessions idea covers up that its not a tutorial so there shouldn't be complains like "there are 5 minutes videos about how to add reverb to a base" I like where this is going. If you play midi instruments it would be great to have a tripod fixed camera to show when you are playing and comments would also be a great additon, but, besides that, this is great and I really liked it

Return to “Music Cafe”