AKAI VIP 3.0 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VIP (Virtual Instrument Player)

chk071 wrote:Yep, i did the plugin scan, and, of course, set up my plugin folder before that. I also set my audio/MIDI settings in the standalone, but, as i mentioned, at one point, it crashed, and Windows showed me a window where i was prompted to input my admin password, because Automap wanted to start itself. Not sure what happened there... after that, the EXE of the VIP standalone was gone, and, shortly after, was in the plugin folder again, but, it couldn't be started anymore, and the EXE was 0 bytes...

I still wonder why i couldn't do anything with my controller in the VIP plugin though. But, as i mentioned, maybe i did something wrong, or the settings were messed up because of the things i described.
That is bizarre. Never heard of an EXE essentially deleting itself. :?:

Sounds like Akai has some bugs to work out for the next update.

So what is VIP? Is it like MainStage?

Plugin Boutique are offering VIP 3 for $49.99/£44.99 for users of "AIR INSTRUMENT EXPANSION PACK" with code AIEP3VIP. Not sure if/how they are enforcing this prerequisite, the code seems to work for me in cart (I only have Xpand!2). I'm still however thinking of getting an Axiom Air Mini 32...

chk071 wrote:Yep, i did the plugin scan, and, of course, set up my plugin folder before that. I also set my audio/MIDI settings in the standalone, but, as i mentioned, at one point, it crashed, and Windows showed me a window where i was prompted to input my admin password, because Automap wanted to start itself. Not sure what happened there... after that, the EXE of the VIP standalone was gone, and, shortly after, was in the plugin folder again, but, it couldn't be started anymore, and the EXE was 0 bytes...

I still wonder why i couldn't do anything with my controller in the VIP plugin though. But, as i mentioned, maybe i did something wrong, or the settings were messed up because of the things i described.
Please can you reach out to Akai support? It sounds like something was incorrect with your installation.
Im not aware of any similar cases. Its also possible your computer rolled back to a restore point due to a non related issue or the crash thus removing the software.
Last edited by sbangs_air on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Software Brand Manager

inMusic Brands
AIR | Akai Professional | Alesis | ▲lto Professional | Denon DJ | Denon Professional | ION Audio | M-Audio | Marantz Professional | MixMeister | Numark | SONiVOX
Email. sbangs@inmusicbrands.com

lastmessiah wrote:So what is VIP? Is it like MainStage?
In a way yes but its also a full Digital Mixer and handles FX. You can create multis of up to 8 instruments in one channel.
Software Brand Manager

inMusic Brands
AIR | Akai Professional | Alesis | ▲lto Professional | Denon DJ | Denon Professional | ION Audio | M-Audio | Marantz Professional | MixMeister | Numark | SONiVOX

Orbit-50 wrote:I have only one feature request. The ability to route MIDI plugins (Nora, Cthulhu etc...) to other instruments in Multi Mode. :)
That sounds like a great idea. Did you make that request at Akai Pro?

sbangs_air wrote:
In a way yes but its also a full Digital Mixer and handles FX. You can create multis of up to 8 instruments in one channel.
One issue I think will occur in OSX is AU and VST3 only plug ins. There are a few AU only plug in makers like Sinevibes, then Cakewalk for instance have only VST3 and AU versions of Rapture Pro and Z3ta+2. Owning the Cakewalk plug ins is there VST3 support in the future? It looks like a good solution to Novations Automap, which is going the way of the Dodo it's pretty clear...

krreed wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote:I have only one feature request. The ability to route MIDI plugins (Nora, Cthulhu etc...) to other instruments in Multi Mode. :)
Actually no. Unfortunately I'm one of those "my vote doesn't count" guys, so I normally would not send feature request to companies because I believe they're going to do what they want to do anyway and couldn't give a crap about what I believe they should include in their software, so it's basically a waste of effort for me. I just figured I'd throw it out there because it would be nice to have that functionality so I can use some of my favorite MIDI tools in VIP 3.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

There seems to be way too many problems with the software. It seems very risky to use VIP as a plugin wrapper/host for my projects if it isn't absolutely 100% rock solid.. and looking around the net, it sure doesn't seem like the case.. also looking at the history of older versions it doesn't precisely fill me with confidence.

I can only imagine all the songs/tracks that will fail to open or crash.. which then results in complete loss of all synth settings for the entire song (if I use VIP as my main hub for sounds).

.. and all of this is requiring a 100 euro purchase. Hmm..
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Orbit-50 wrote:
krreed wrote:
Actually no. Unfortunately I'm one of those "my vote doesn't count" guys, so I normally would not send feature request to companies because I believe they're going to do what they want to do anyway and couldn't give a crap about what I believe they should include in their software, so it's basically a waste of effort for me. I just figured I'd throw it out there because it would be nice to have that functionality so I can use some of my favorite MIDI tools in VIP 3.
I have noted it down for you :) Every vote counts VIP is entirely user driven in terms of the features added and 3.0 includes many of the most requested items.
Software Brand Manager

inMusic Brands

bmanic wrote:There seems to be way too many problems with the software. It seems very risky to use VIP as a plugin wrapper/host for my projects if it isn't absolutely 100% rock solid.. and looking around the net, it sure doesn't seem like the case.. also looking at the history of older versions it doesn't precisely fill me with confidence.

I can only imagine all the songs/tracks that will fail to open or crash.. which then results in complete loss of all synth settings for the entire song (if I use VIP as my main hub for sounds).

.. and all of this is requiring a 100 euro purchase. Hmm..
We offer a completely free trial for you to evaluate with your plugins. Allot of work has gone into making sure performance is forefront and center in this update. Unfortunately as a host sometimes you are susceptible to issues in plugins themselves although every effort is taken to avoid this.
Software Brand Manager

inMusic Brands

I purchased VIP 3.0.
To me, it seems rock solid stable, despite sometimes not showing plugin UIs, neither embedded, nor in a separate window.
Call me impressed.
However, as a huge Kore fan and user still, I miss:
1) free “matrix”, despite a fixed 8 VSTis with 4 fx each.
2) insert a Multi into a multi.
3) Parameter morphing
3) multi-assign a Controller to multiple parameters (with scaling/offset/direction for each parameter assignment)

And I haven’t figured out how to add one additional expansion tag (for example “TabSel”) to BOTH Instruments AND effects) in order to a “made by” tag for tagging MY OWN maps. What is the best way to achieve this?

machinesworking wrote:
sbangs_air wrote:
One issue I think will occur in OSX is AU and VST3 only plug ins. There are a few AU only plug in makers like Sinevibes, then Cakewalk for instance have only VST3 and AU versions of Rapture Pro and Z3ta+2. Owning the Cakewalk plug ins is there VST3 support in the future? It looks like a good solution to Novations Automap, which is going the way of the Dodo it's pretty clear...
Still looking for an answer to this, VIP looks great, except it's lack of AU and VST3 support is an issue for a few dozen plug ins on OSX. Any solution planned to this?

machinesworking wrote:
machinesworking wrote:
sbangs_air wrote:
Still looking for an answer to this, VIP looks great, except it's lack of AU and VST3 support is an issue for a few dozen plug ins on OSX. Any solution planned to this?
Another vote for VST3 x64 support, please!

does anybody know if VIP will work with a tablet? for instance, say I have my PC running my DAW and I load up VIP to a tablet with the interface

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”