Ryzen and MIO10 issues

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
Seeing what experiences others may have had with the Ryzen CPU and using that with iconnectivity gear, and any other gear that has been problematic.
In my particular case, built a new Ryzen rig, 1500x CPU, 16gb ram, m2 SSD, Windows 10 creators update and it won't talk to my MIO10. And iconnectivity have their head in the sand again after reporting this, and because they can't replicate it, closing the ticket.. great support there, not.
I did also read and hear from a colleague certain UA gear has/had problems with the Ryzen CPU..

Any other real world issues you may have encountered?

Thanks!
Don't Tech No for an Answer

I don't know anything about that interface, but from what I see it's connected via usb? If so, have you tried different USB port? Also there are some hardware that works only on USB 2.0 or 3.0. My advice, if you haven't tried yet, would be to uninstall driver, plug it in a different port, install the driver. Keep in mind there might be usb ports on your motherboard that talks directly to the cpu and not through chipset, you can try those too.

Tried every port, and worked before on my gen 1 i7 system that's since been sold to a colleague for their son's homework pc.
Every other bit of gear works on all USB ports, and the mio10 works on my work MacBook Pro, although the software is typical iconnectivity shite.. so kind of eludes that mio10 + ryzen CPU/board = incompatible and also in the too hard basket for their support person, as my ticket was closed as they can't replicate the issue, on their Intel system.. despite me sending screenshots of it failing.
Getting much closer to writing this off as a bad investment..

That's really bad support, sorry to hear that. It's clearly something on their end. Maybe it's a hardware problem and they know they can't fix it within software so they act that way.

Yeah, every time I have contacted them in the 6 months I've had it, support tickets closed without a resolution.
Shame as it could be a good interface, let down by amateur software and below par support.

"Other than that we don't have anything from our hardware point of view that we can do and the software seems to be fine.

I'll look at the Ryzen thing and update this ticket if there is any info.

Based on this I'm going to close out the ticket.

To me that reeks of "too bad, can't help"..

emcee wrote:Tried every port, and worked before on my gen 1 i7 system
emcee wrote:Every other bit of gear works on all USB ports, and the mio10 works on my work MacBook Pro, although the software is typical iconnectivity shite..
Intel board and Macbooks are both using native Intel USB controllers. A number of firms now specify that their hardware works best on the Intel controller and indeed in a lot of instances where someone suggests to try different ports, what they end up doing (even possibly without being aware of it) are telling you to switch it into a port that is Intel based and not being controlled by a third party controller which are often a complete nightmare.

The problem has been down to a lot of firms developing and testing on Mac's (some level of irony here I guess) and those all have Intel solutions, so all the kit developed tends to only be tested on Intel based controllers under Mac OS or a bootcamped Windows setup on the same system.

AMD farmed out the development of their USB controller to ASMedia, who also do some of the third party controller solutions on various Intel boards and are known to be a bit of a nightmare on Intel based boards when you see them, which made me personally a bit concerned that we'd be seeing these issues once AMD adopted the same solutions.

Seeing news reports like : https://www.techpowerup.com/223583/amd- ... late-costs during the development cycle didn't exactly fill me with confidence either.

If that's the problem you could buy a usb expansion card, like a pcie one, but to tell you which one to pick it's hard for me to tell.

iConnectivity have closed my ticket (again) with this totally disappointing response:

We cannot support CPU's outside of the standard Intel and AMD.

What the? Ryzen IS an AMD CPU and marketed pretty heavily. They totally have their head up their ass if they can say sorry our interface that doesn't need a computer to work can't be edited if you don't have a computer within their (unwritten) specifications.
2017-09-21 10_07_44-mio10.png
That last part of their sell really pisses me off now - nothing short of false advertising.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nIGhT-SoN wrote:If that's the problem you could buy a usb expansion card, like a pcie one, but to tell you which one to pick it's hard for me to tell.
Tried that last night - PCIe USB2 expansion card, same deal. iConfig software doesn't see the MIO10.

My workaround? I have a work provided macbook that I've loaded the mac iConfig app on, so any routing changes I need to make, I use that via the back USB port and my DAW in the front. Not ideal, as I do not want to take a business provided Macbook to a gig JUST to tell the MIO10 to take input from my Novation Midi Controller to now talk to the Integra-7, then next song the Receptor 2+. And yes I have looked at having each on a different midi channel, but that means I could have just purchased a $50 midi box from Kenton or an old Kawai/Akai/Korg thru box.

nIGhT-SoN wrote:If that's the problem you could buy a usb expansion card, like a pcie one, but to tell you which one to pick it's hard for me to tell.
Intel don't supply their solution on an expansion card, so you'll be buying NEC, Renesys or Asmedia (the three next most common) chipsets if you do. It's not to say 1 out of those 3 won't work, but it might take a few tests and a few returned cards before you land on a solution that solves it for you.

So there's a difference between amd and Intel USB?
I thought the U in USB was for "universal"

The connector is universal and the standard for the protocol is universal but the implementation seems to vary slightly from controller to controller. It seems that whilst I suspect everyone is meeting the basic standard requirements it might be Intel is doing something natively that differentiates itself from the wider market and if people are only developing on Intel hardware then that's where this would become an issue for other platforms.

Best you can do is report it to iConnectivy and ask them to test and develop a driver update if it's possible, especially as I'm pretty sure the MIO came out prior to the Ryzen chipset making it onto the shelf. I suspect most firms are not aware of this until someone mentions it and AMD's market share has been so small for so long in this segment that I doubt the are more than a handful of firms out there testing it specifically as a most people tend to assume the same as you did in that all controllers are created equal.

yeah, that's my gripe at the moment. I've asked for software to be fixed so I can use it, but I get this:

Thank you for contacting us. We hope that we were able to help. We are now archiving your ticket and closing this case

Well.. they haven't helped - all they've done is basically say that due to me upgrading my computer, my MIO10 is now incompatible with it. huh? Surely we're not going to get to a stage where USB devices will have a "certified to work with AMD Ryzen" or "this won't work with a processor that hasn't come out yet so never update"..

Might go back to the place I bought it and ask them what recourse I have to return it, as it's incompatible with my system, even though it wasn't when I bought it back in April.

Footnote for this.
Finally iConnectivity conceded this wasn't fixable by them. Warning to other KVR'ers to consider iConnectivity + Ryzen platform. Each of them on their own are great, but combined.. well.
Got a full refund on the MIO10, and used that to buy a Motu. $29 difference.

Picked up my MOTO XT yesterday and loving it.

emcee wrote:Footnote for this.
Finally iConnectivity conceded this wasn't fixable by them. Warning to other KVR'ers to consider iConnectivity + Ryzen platform. Each of them on their own are great, but combined.. well.
Got a full refund on the MIO10, and used that to buy a Motu. $29 difference.

Picked up my MOTO XT yesterday and loving it.
Glad you Got a refund .
So the Motu is working fine ?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”