Promoting Music Under Different Names

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I find myself making music in many different genres, but if I promoted it all under a single name then not everyone will like the music I make. There seems to be so few people in this world whose musical interests are as wide as mine.

The solution is to write music that is in different genres under different names; one for each genre. Another problem arises when I want to promote said music on KVR: KVR does not allow multiple accounts in general. If I tried to promote my music, that is under a different name, using my account, people will think I am trying to steal that music. I have no way to verify that I am the one who made the music.

What can I do to get around this problem? Thank you for your advice.

KForte90 wrote: if I promoted it all under a single name then not everyone will like the music I make.
As opposed to what? You cannot reasonably expect everyone to like your music anyway.
I make a lot of music some people will hate, but that's their problem. :shrug:

The choice is yours. You either develop a name for yourself a a diverse and eclectic musician, or you spread your efforts across promoting multiple brands. Either one is a viable approach.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Maybe don't use KVR as your promotional platform, but use it for what it's good for, getting knowledgeable feedback from the fellow colleagues.

Think some of us don't care if you post 20 different genres from one nickname or we are going to become your fans and follow you to the stars, let's be real, we are bunch of old grumpy guys making noise nobody cares about, so just post some stuff you actually want honest feedback for and use other social media for that biz mumbo jumbo.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:making noise nobody cares about
:o :clap:

To the OP:
Does seem like a lot of extra work to do it all under different names.

Some value being weird more than being considered a non-failure.
But you do have a point. I can't think of any famous, popular musicians who are known for doing everything music ever. They tend to find a niche and smack it again and again...

I thought I was going to have this problem. My solution was to start a "multimedia company (record label):" Unfocused Media, so I could release different styles of music (and film, and books, and software...) under different project/"band" names. I had only moderate success because my time for creative pursuits became extremely limited.

However, others have been successful with this approach, e.g. Bill Laswell. As such, I still plan to use this approach if I ever find myself with enough free time.

-u
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

Zexila wrote:Maybe don't use KVR as your promotional platform, but use it for what it's good for, getting knowledgeable feedback from the fellow colleagues.
Then, where can I go to get my music more noticed?

KForte90 wrote:
Zexila wrote:Maybe don't use KVR as your promotional platform, but use it for what it's good for, getting knowledgeable feedback from the fellow colleagues.
Then, where can I go to get my music more noticed?
Probably to some labels or You Tube channels that promote kind of music you do, there's bunch of those these days. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Unfocused wrote:I thought I was going to have this problem. My solution was to start a "multimedia company (record label):" Unfocused Media, so I could release different styles of music (and film, and books, and software...) under different project/"band" names. I had only moderate success because my time for creative pursuits became extremely limited.

However, others have been successful with this approach, e.g. Bill Laswell. As such, I still plan to use this approach if I ever find myself with enough free time.

-u
you need to focus ...

experimental.crow wrote:
Unfocused wrote:I thought I was going to have this problem. My solution was to start a "multimedia company (record label):" Unfocused Media, so I could release different styles of music (and film, and books, and software...) under different project/"band" names. I had only moderate success because my time for creative pursuits became extremely limited.

-u
you need to focus ...
What...? :wink:
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

-u
If your time is limited, you should focus on one project or get help from other people. You can't do it all alone, music marketing is very time consuming and requires the work hours of at least another person.

Klayton from Celldweller does it, he has multiple music projects and he's successful but he has a small team who work with him. Check "Celldweller" on YouTube if you don't know about him. Very good music.

If it isn't a joke, I can only feel jealous. Such a lot if energy... unfocused energy!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”